Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 2 Ch. 16 - Sentinel Slaughter

Supporter
Frieren's here talking about an army of demons like she's gonna eat a plate of gross vegetables.

Dex-chan lover
Wow she's hot, too bad she's gonna last only like 1-3 chapters more

I find it a bit odd that in a manga that revolves around reshaping the elf's old conservative beliefs that they would have the demons be innately evil. Like, wouldn't the opposite message work way better here?

Fed-Kun's army
@Plippity no particularly, the opposite message would be a fairly poor idea. While a lot of things have change around Frieren's life, the demons remaining unchanged over time is a nice continuity that fits in perfectly.

@serpensR Really? I mean, I feel as if Frieren's thought process has been changing throughout the course of the manga, and stopping here for the sake of "having something unchanging in her constantly changing life" is a bit weird. The author could've put plenty of other scenarios where something hasn't changed that's way more serene and impactful, like a memory the party created still being alive or a location being as constant as is was 100 years ago. Making the demons seem like evil people, and then following it up with the fact that they're legitimately creatures with no sense of emotion seems kinda odd. In terms of character growth, Frieren goes from thinking "demon bad" to "demon bad." The purpose of this arc seems to just be showing off how cool and op Freiran is. I could see what you're saying though, I just find it really strange.

I like to call Stark "Binji-kun"

"Ooooh~ I'm gonna pee my pants I'm so scared!"

"Okay, well right now this guy fucking sucks."

"Now I'm peeing and pooping my pants cause I'm so scared!"

Dex-chan lover
This manga went full Parasyte The Maximum in my melancholic fantasy story

Unexpected to say the least

@Plippity There's been sooooo many tropes and instances of "demons being no different than humans" that I am 100% onboard with this interpretation of their kind. And this is coming from someone that really likes villainous factions and characters. I fully agree with Serpens here, it fits in perfectly and it's a great foil towards how many things have changed for Frieren but some things never do.

@JacquesArgest Sure it's a great foil for some things have changed and some things don't, but out of every trope to impart that message this one is so heavy-handed it's just flat out strange. Imagine this author imparting the opposite idea with their style and think about what a missed opportunity it could've been. If the author wanted to show how some things never change, it would've been more in line with the flow of the journey between the group to include a concept/feeling being unchanging. The only purpose of doing this, so far as the spotlight entails, is to pull off some cheap isekai plotline where the MC is super op and hiding her true power. To rebuttal and conclude, I think that if it was writing to show how some things never change, the plotline should've been more focused on cruelty and malice by the demons instead of Frieren just obliterating them all and battle shenanigans by the other two. I definitely think this manga is great, but this one part irks me.

@Plippity I don't really see the demons as "evil" here. They just have fundamentally different toughts process and instincts than humans.

The term used is "wild beasts" or "articulate monsters", not evil monsters and I don't think it's random.

@anotherone mmm I could sort of see your point, but from a human moral standpoint, they would definitely be considered evil just for their colonialist ideals of conquering other lands and understanding what "war" is. This isn't really replicated in nature.

Users who are viewing this thread