Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 3 Ch. 18 - The Undead Army

Dex-chan lover
COME ON MAN GIMME SOME FREIREN ACTION

@Midoriha
when someone way stronger than you who can kill you anyway proposes peace, you go for it. If it's a trap, you die. If you refuse, you eventually die. If it's not a trap, you get peace. No choice, really.

@cryum
think it's closer to actual dogtags as identifiers. they seem to be unique family crests.

Dex-chan lover
If anything, it seems demons have a really similar mindset to Frieren, only that they do not have as close culture with humans to value typical morals. If a demon were to grow up fully within human culture, the result would be akin to a high-functioning sociopath.

Dex-chan lover
once again the cold rationale of demons plays against them.

love how the worldbuilding is being done in the series.
She isn't having a cliche villain moment that she thinks she's gonna win, she's just trying to tip the scale on her favor and trying to understand Frieren's action, as they don't get their prey perfectly they need the info to say the correct words (this time, she failed though)

for a second I tought that one of the armors were from one of her friends, idk if any of them are

A genuinely rational choice, given the circumstances.

Just not in the favour of the one presenting that choice.

Dex-chan lover
@SaintRavenmane

Aura said that Frieren is using anti magic to dispel her spell, and that it must be consuming much more mana than just blasting the undead army away. She doesn't understand why Frieren doesn't do the latter and conserve her mana as it is illogical. Frieren then answered that Himmel had gotten mad at her for blasting the undead army away as she had done, and Aura responds that since Himmel is gone, she shouldn't have to worry about that anymore. I'll be honest, whatever Himmel's reason for getting angry was, it is incredibly stupid to be wasting your energy in a life and death situation. If Himmel was around in our world, he would get angry at our armies for wielding explosive devices that desecrate the body of enemy soldiers by disintegrating them. And to be fair, there are always limits - we've banned chemical warfare and nuclear devices are used as deterrent - but it seems unreasonable to ban blasting an army of undead.

It's really interesting to see these interactions, because it shows that these demons are genuinely curious creatures (which makes sense, as they take pride in their pursuit of magic) and very logical. They simply lack empathy and also feed on humans. This exchange also shows that even after the disappearance of her comrades, Frieren was changed by the bonds she had made and the time spent with her companions. A demon on the other hand would not have changed. Their nature would have remained the same and if anything that impeded on it disappeared, they would revert to what they are.

@Sep10trion It was literally the one guy too if I recall, and Hameln actually made it pretty clear than even half mazoku basically had to force the issue to actually be good. And it was trivial to slip (Like I know it was a gag when it happened, but I still remember Hameln getting access to his super powered evil side and just kinda flipping out every few panels like it's that much a hair trigger)

all this to say, it makes me feel like we're going to come across Precisely One (1) Demon in this series who's not a complete monster and it's going to end suitably tragically, like the only people keeping em good die and they're like well RIP to that I guess, wasn't worth the effort blahblablah, if there's gonna be one at all.

wait lol Aura is so confident that she mentioned that Frieren was holding back. now Frieren will really kill her lol.

You dissed the Hero in front of Frieren, Aura. That was NOT a wise move ;)

That said, Aura trying to provoke Frieren to go all blast is not a bad strat. She is trying to use her scale to subdue Frieren, after all, so having her spend mana blasting undead corpses to the air would surely help ...

Users who are viewing this thread