Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 3 Ch. 21 - Coward

Dex-chan lover
i love how magic isnt forgotten and lost, but instead improves with time like it should. The author is even making new tactics for these characters.

Aggregator gang
To everyone confused about the coward naming.
I believe it’s because mages are meant to take pride in their prowess and display it to all, welcoming equals to challenge.
Meanwhile like sith (lol) there are only ever two going around hiding their power and wiping out those weaker than them while making it look like they’re the weaker ones, which is cowardly.
If the demon king knew their true power he would send an equivalent force, but instead they’re chipping away at the foundations in secret.

That’s not to say it isn’t smart by our standards, just cowardly by the standards of mages.
Like someone who pretends to be bad at a game to beat someone who’s inexperienced by comparison. Just think about it and you’ll understand.

Dex-chan lover
@twinklecake Oh look girl WHO ALMOST DIED. Did you fail to stop the demons from KILLING ALL THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN because the DEMON LORD ordered ELF GENOCIDE? I HATE demons too. But I LOVE magic. Oh, you are THE SAME? Guess you are my DISCIPLE now. Just wait for me to finish these guys who UNDERESTIMATE me ... etc

Yeah, so full of nuance, while blatantly describing every single thing that's going on. Amazing.

reu

Dex-chan lover
@Add1152000
I got that but the autor could have presented it as a mater of strategy and stealth rather than going full "this isn't even my final form"

Dex-chan lover
@Hoomanadaw
Agreed, one of the fun things about this series are these subtle little details like actual world growth that, if one thinks about it, really shouldn't be uncommon. Yet somehow they are, in so many series individuals may gain new "skills" or "power levels", but if they die that's that. It feels rarer to see "societal" growth, where the average level itself improves as part of a collective endeavor.

Felt a bit too short... Well its probably to split this battle in 2 or 3 chapters.

Dex-chan lover
I like how Frieren is teaching all these techniques and tactics to Fern. Frieren's master was a human, and now Frieren is teaching a human herself. Maybe Fern will become the next arch-mage.

I think one of the best parts about this manga is how well the past ties into the present. It's just how everything ties together so well that makes this such an enjoyable read. The readers could tell how much Frieren hated demons even before the reveal that they killed her entire village just from how she was educating Fern as a mage. It's another, deeper layer of storytelling that sets apart the mediocre from the great.

Users who are viewing this thread