Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 3 Ch. 22 - Scales of Obedience

God damn, Frieren straight up annihilated Aura in the most savage way possible.

Like beasts, Aura was able to feel fear in front of an overwhelming power. Unlike humans who in fantasy and etc stories and whatnot who face greater power head on and somehow manage to succeed. Protagonists and co. usually only have little fear when pursuing justice, some may even smile in the face of death, some don’t die. (Frieren is OP and has lived a very long life).

Right. They're demons that can not be understood. And yet they can cry, and suffer, and feel empathy for their fallen comrades. Sure, it could be a ruse till the very end, but what would be the point. At the time of your death, when its clear that nothing will sway the hand coming to kill you, there is no purpose to lie. And so they are a lot more like humans then weel care to admit.

This is top fuckin tier, hands fuckin down... Aint no naruto or dbz fighting bs.. just great storytelling and art makes a simple premise enjoyable.

Dex-chan lover
If frieren still looks like shes 12 at around 1000, maybe she has a lifespan of around 10000 assuming the aging process is still linear, and not "she'll stay in her prime from 3000-80000 and instantly become an old fart at 80001"

Dex-chan lover
Narrator:

Aura killed herself and the crowd go wild in the comments section!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Game, set, match and championship for our elf slayer!!!!!!!!

Dex-chan lover
@Blueberry_McFuckerson

Frieren didn't have that much of a choice though. She wouldn't take care of the undead soldiers in a mana efficient way because she was told it was not right to treat their corpses like that. She wouldn't be able to reach Aura with that army of soldiers between them so she has to take care of them first. Aura has survived a grievous wound inflicted by the hero party and survived, so I'm sure she has the ability to flee quite well from someone like Frieren, so Frieren cannot simply use her overwhelming mana to destroy her. It's the whole point of the training to live while limiting her mana: it means that demons don't fear her and flee but will instead attack her because they believe themselves to be superior. Frieren can then kill them at her leisure with her hidden mana (as she won't be exhausting her reserves and demons will not be able to gauge her skill with magic from her mana)

It just so happens that in this specific case, Frieren is facing a demon whose magic means that she can finish her off simply by ordering her to do so.

What's interesting is that at this point I am so convinced of the alien nature of the demon's minds that I'm not sure I can interpret Aura's tears in the same way as I would a human's. I mean, we've seen demons get wounded before, not flinch and maintain a neutral expression. So I assume those are tears of frustration that she was outdone as a mage. Mana, after all, is the only thing of value to demons.

Dex-chan lover
That little smile on Frieren's face as she commands Aura to kill herself is glorious.

Users who are viewing this thread