Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 4 Ch. 30 - Mirrored Lotus

Dex-chan lover
@Binary10011 to me it seems like a major theme of the manga - maybe *the* theme of the manga, - that Frieren slowly understands how Himmel felt about her and starts to realize that maybe she herself wasn't by far as disinterested as it seemed to her at the time; except some thirty years too late, and there's nothing to be changed now. Reread, say, chapter 6 - a great frame showcasing that dawning understanding is page 18, frame 5.

@cheslie I guess the inevitability of it being lame strongly depends on what the souls residing in heaven are like... I guess the writer deserves a credit of trust, they've dealt with mature topics pretty solidly so far.

this makes me think, how will all of this turn out in the end? It's gonna take a friendly tone and make Frieren grown and understand human feelings and Himmel it's gonnna be like "the one that needs to know what I have learn" since he was the most friendly towards Frieren in the original team? or it will take a even more dramatic tone with Frieren sort of realizing Himmel's true feelings and (maybe) those feelings are reciprocal adding a bittersweet feeling of "realizing my true feelings but it's too late"? either way, I hope we get to see more of Frieren and co. shenanigans until the fated day of arriving at "heaven" and meeting Himmel once again comes.
I like how by using Flashbacks we are still learning about the old hero party and their interactions, it will make the (supposed) ending even more painful, because we already know that 2 out of the 4 old members died (unless Eisen finally dies off-camera) and either way the Himmel x Frieren reunion is likely gonna be short af.

Edit: In my opinion, I think Frieren does, indeed, have some kind of feelings for Himmel, in her own kuudere millenial loli elf grandma way, but she herself isn't aware of it, I mean, the fact that Himmel keeps being like a "turning point" for her and was the one that triggered her desire of finally understanding humans (As she regretted not "came to understand" him) it's a big hint and this journey has showed us that even if Frieren didn't notice Himmel's feelings, she indeed knew him well just as he knew her as well. The fact that she kept that ring even when she wasn't interested on it just because it reminded her about him shows us that maybe she isn't aware of how much she actually enjoyed her time with Himmel.
Now I doubt the story will take a sudden change of tone and make everything romantic, but in a subtle way maybe she will come to understand her own heart and the fact that she liked him as well.
Ofc this is just me lmao, I think the most obvious thing is that even if Frieren gets to understand Himmel's feelings she probably just feels a strong platonic connection with him and that's it, but when the story itsef gives me this shipping crumbs I can't stop myself of imagining angsty romantic scenarios of how this shit will end, but I know it's impossible lol.

@danvolodar

I agree with your overall point that Freiren is slowly realising her feelings.
But I don't see what you mean about chapter 6 - I think that's her realising more generally that's its fun to be here when her friends enjoy things, or something.

But we generally agree so let's not nitpick.

@JoshuaDMarti - I will say your opinion is correct and the manga has evidence for it. The best example is seeing her reaction to Himmel appearing as her Phantom demon in Chapter 9 - Phantom Corpse. She shows surprise that he is the one chosen instead of her master. That means his impact upon her is greater than even she knows.

It is clear she cared a great deal about him, and his praise and opinions changed the course of her life. I feel the story of this manga will be of her realizing what love feels like and connecting with human-like emotions. Though she will see him at the end, it will be to tell him she loves him too, and to thank him for changing her life for the better. I feel this will be a story of catharsis and saying goodbye to someone who bettered you.

Dex-chan lover
@Binary10011 in chapter 6 Frieren was puzzled why Himmel had been so disappointed that she had overslept, until on page 18 she understands his concern wasn't about himself at all.

Ouch, my poor soul. That look on Himmel's face when she passed him the ring and asked what's wrong. Like a reminder for him that Frieren is doubly out of his reach: firstly, because she doesn't have the same kind of feelings for him (at that time) and secondly, because not only does she not have them *for him*, she doesn't have them *at all*. The meaning of the ring does not concern her (or even the idea there might be a meaning to it), the same way these feelings themselves don't concern her. And that's what just smacked Himmel in the face out of the blue. The poor sod. He really is such a good boi.

@MhaiWind @JoshuaDMarti
Haha, you're both really optimistin in assuming that Frieren actually *will* get to see Himmel at all. I would love to think that too, but am too afraid the mood of this manga points somewhere else resolution-wise. Like them arriving there just to see there's no 'heaven' to speak of. No dead souls. No Himmel. Just nothing, only piles of snow. Because as far as I recall, there's no actual proof within the manga for any sort of afterlife, is there? Or ghosts (as in, souls of dead people, not just monsters). Which is what worries me.

Power Uploader
@monozuki
Well, Flamme claims that she went to Aureole and spoke her former comrades there in the7th chapter. If Flamme did not lie in her notes, the heaven exists.

Aggregator gang
Why every time Himmel shows up my heart gets a new crack !?????

@tsuyukihime haha no thanks, look of affection between friends? Not trying to be rude or anything but we don’t do that gae stuff here......real friends mock each others!!! I need to find real friends?? No, You need to find yourself best friends to drop all that buddy buddy pretenses.... personally buying gifts like ring to a friend whose you’re not even planing on dating?? Gimme a break, what are you a teenager in puberty?? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread