Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 4 Ch. 33 - Grandfather Voll

Dex-chan lover
@fatetsuki They've trained really hard to do so.

4Vhv0c7.jpg

Dex-chan lover
@KeiosKod

I dunno. I got the impression from the night conservation that Frieren realized that he's old enough that his memories are slipping away. Which probably means this was the last time Frieren is going to meet with him.

Dex-chan lover
author is trying to get her to feel, and that's a shitty move, immortality when you can't let go, is a curse.

@Fairin In the scene, he's made out to be forgetting things, so he's forgotten that the demon lord has already been defeated.

This is my favorite chapter.

Here's my analysis that I posed on the Frieren of the Funerals discord:

Himmel's picked up that loving the limited-life of a human is dangerous and sad for a long-lived creature. If it's locked this poor dwarf to a memory for a century, he is just picturing in his mind how terrible it will be for Frieren if she comes to love a human. I've noticed through the earlier chapters that Himmel will juxtapose something heartfelt with a joke to keep Frieren from picking up on the implications of what he is doing. He's laying a future where she will never have to think "I'm the only person who remembers them" This is when he begun commissioning statues. They show it in Chapter 3 when Frieren mentions no one else knows that her mage master existed

Himmel knows that Frieren is going to be already be heartbroken about losing him, but he absolutely does not want to risk her falling in love with him. He does not want what happened to Voll to happen to Frieren. That sort of sweetness is lovely, but sad for us as the audience, and it's why I fell in love with Frieren's story :slight_smile:

(Today on: Mhai spent way too much time character analyzing a manga because she wants to RP Frieren)

1. Himmel's "In that case it'll be Frieren's duty. She shall carry our memory to the future": I do wonder whether the reason we don't ever see elves in human settlements, is because they develop so slowly (like Frieren) and so have no objections to carrying more and more such 'memories' with them as they meet people while passing through the ages. But then, a time can come when they finally are able to process the emotions behind these memories and they.. well. They go insane?

2. Frieren's "Himmel was my reason for getting to know humans. It's equally as important as your reason to protect the village". Well that's the strongest way she's ever asserted her feelings up until now. And those feelings do seem to crystalize more and more the closer they are to the destination. Also, by contrasting her ability to perfectly recall her memories, with the failing memory of Voll, Frieren seems even less human.

3. Frieren's "I will bring Grandfather Voll's memory with me to the future as well." Adding yet another one to the pile. Is she like a book that's just getting another entry on one of the pages, or rather, is she a prisoner chained down that's slowly being bled by a thousand tiny cuts?

4. Voll's "Frieren, I had a dream of my wife". The value - and power - of the memories carried by Frieren. She was able to restore his wife's image to Voll.

I was feeling depressed throughout the chapter but "I had a dream of my wife" took all the pain away.

Users who are viewing this thread