Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 5 Ch. 40 - Bird Capturing Magic

Frieren is definitely going to lose to someone here. They just established that having lots of mana can be overcome by skill and that she's lost several times before.

Either one of the examinees is someone who's beaten here before, or she's about to lose.

Dex-chan lover
the exam administrators are so dumb... it's just like the hunter test. if you kill a potential candidate who's too weak now, you're wasting human capital. it's not like humans stay static, they can improve. but the amount of time it takes for someone to grow up and learn magic means they're going through mages faster than mages can be produced. and it's not like second class mages are useless. it's pretty fucking stupid and it's not really a surprise that the numbers of mages are diminishing.

Dex-chan lover
yeah, i'm on board with this exam being idiotic: "Mages of 2nd, 3rd and 4th classes, you of the upper echelon but not the peak. Come take this exam and possibly die to monsters or get killed by other examinees (we won't even come close to attempting to intervene). If you die, i guess it just means you weren't 1st class material, and therefore apparently utterly worthless to any kingdom or society."

@Moridin69 yeah whenever i see these battle royale examinations it's always idiotic
Time to put the comic on hold and hope it recovers from this

i dont get all the negativity here, this is great well paced, interesting and well thought... if only all the exam arc in manga would be like this... "frieren can just nuke them all?" what manga have you read till now? deception and planning are the key for victory, not fucking smash everything.

Dex-chan lover
Glad to see there a good number of people who think the idea of killing off mages confident enough to take a 1st class mage exam is a stupid as hell idea.
I'll hold my breathe for the possible rug pull of "Oh the barrier's magic unkillifies anything under it's protection after the exam is over". Although I got my doubts that will happen.

Dex-chan lover
Time to rumble

osb9cLr.jpg

Double-page supporter
@Soracifer I'm pretty sure that people still think this manga is great, people just think the concept that civilization letting there most prized resource (magicians) die during a test is really dumb. I'd imagine that people would think that the citizens in this manga would realize this after seeing how magicians played a major role in saving humanity from being wiped off the face of the planet. But it's whatever, maybe this is a build up to another subplot, where Frieren reforms the magicians guild or something, idk

Dex-chan lover
@NinKirin I personally think these tests are fair, since this is a test for being a first-class magician, and the authority and ability that comes with said title is not to be taken for granted. Therefore, I believe if you come into this test, already knowing how it's generally conducted any death or failure that occurs is the individual's fault. The risk is outlined properly and noted

Users who are viewing this thread