Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 5 Ch. 41 - Moment for Resolve

Dang, people are being really critical and are caught up on how stupid the exams are. I find it boring to discuss the same thing over and over again.

I love the contrast of the new magic against the old magic. The new magic is flashier, but I feel like the old magic can be similar to a machine gun. At some point, you can overwhelm any of the fancy defenses.

I also love Wirbel's strategy. He understands that he has trouble killing women and children, so he chose a battle strategy that allows him to work up his resolve to kill. I'm surprised that's his strategy, though, because I would imagine sitting around and talking would garner sympathy, rather than increasing his resolve.

Dex-chan lover
Well, having mages fight in "Battle Royale" where a hundred participate but only a handful survive to rank up would explain why their society doesn't have as many mages as they had a century before. Plus monocle guy showed their society treats mages as disposable.

Hence why that previous city was only surviving because some mage put up a anti-demon barrier that nobody knew how to operate, there's probably a lot of magical infrastructure that's been abandoned or lost due to mismanagement.

Dex-chan lover
@Despada thats what happens when you go for quality rather than quality and quantity. They could easily put the mages that fail the promotion test under the guidance of a superior mage but they dont.

I hope the author pulls some "it is a plot by demons to make Humans easier prey."

Dex-chan lover
Wait, almost nothing happened! Aaaahhhhh gotta wait another week lol

Ehre looks cute btw

Why these people talking like they could make a better progression

Appreciate the author, this is how the story goes, giving it too much things to spoil would just make it more boring. Let's just enjoy the downstream and upstream.

Also thanks for the chapter!

@Despada They are indeed quite dumb. There are tons of better ways of filtering the mages for high positions but "No mather the source, If you die you fail" kind of test its always the most impractical one.
That just sends the message that the people on top are just a bunch of psycopaths that climbed by killing their competition and if you dont have any offensive skill you are worthless.

Double-page supporter
"Scharf" can mean two things in german: "Sharp", as in the quality of a sword, or "spicy". I guess the author was gunning for translation no. 1.

"Ehre" just means "honor".

"Wirbel" means "vortex".

Btw. "Übel" means "bad", but in a way referring to a state of illness and is usually translated as "sick" or "queasy", so the author screwed that one up.

Dex-chan lover
Can't believe people still care about "elegance" when life or death is on the line.

Double-page supporter
@blurgh123
winter-comics-007.jpg

Double-page supporter
@ everybody complaining about the fights

It's Bleach syndrome. Before you're allowed to kill somebody, you must deduce and explain your enemy's power to their face. Failing that, the enemy must explain it to you themselves. Unless you're a nameless foot soldier. Then you just get your head blown off.

And yes, I think it's silly as well. But let's at least appreciate the token effort at explaining Wirbel's hesitation there.

Dex-chan lover
I'm enjoying this arc~

Besides, isn't this how the manga has gone for a while? Slow traveling spells, then a more focused little arc with action in it.

To me it makes sense, because it follows the main characters memory of time spent. A complicated battle or situation is something she has to focus on.

Also as an aside, I kind of like a character who *can* kill, but needs to build up resolve. A lot of stories don't have any middle ground between 'knife licking kekeke mother fucker who kills easily' or 'heroic I Do What I Must' or 'person who CANT kill at ALL'

'Can do it, but has to psych himself up' is interesting to see.

Dex-chan lover
i demand an entire chapter of cute frieren doing cute things after this arc is done

Users who are viewing this thread