Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 5 Ch. 42 - Reason for Fighting

Dex-chan lover
urgh seriously, this arc is just a bit longer than usual and some people complain about that??? Do y'all even know what patience is???

Anw, thanks for the chapter guys!
I'm pretty sure that Frieren let the girl took the bird because she wanted to see her magic lol

Dex-chan lover
pMbGTJG.png

Part of me wants to stop reading and let some chapters pile up before I continue, this is one of the best manga I've read in years.

It's so cute seeing these lods grow lol, and then there's Frieren just going through the exam like it's a trivial matter.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
I hope she pulls something outta nowhere at the last minute so I can see them be in awe of her powers lol๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜Œ

@RatoMolhado
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ Hell yeah, frickin' basically๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Dex-chan lover
I'm just happy some side characters are being introduced. Beautiful chapter, baffles me why people hating this arc

Double-page supporter
This test is so useless.

The participants may not be the best mages of humankind, but probably belong to the top 5%. The demons are still a great threat and having read the arc with the general and the subordinates proved, that there wont be peace, ever. So why have this test on a repetitive basis, where they are allowed to kill each other and partly do so. That greatly weakens the defence against monster attacks and the demon threat in general.

Its like having a test for the army, but instead of athletic tests, the soldiers have to kill each other until the best remain. The enemy faction must be quite happy...

Dex-chan lover
@Korath This test is definitely dumb for the reasons you stated. But the reason could be justified in their minds, maybe they think the few victorious ones would be enough. Like in the manga Angel Heart, the mc fought to the death as assassin training for a mafia. They weren't interested in many candidates, just the best one. This is totally just a plug for Angel heart though, City Hunter too, amazing manga. lol

Double-page supporter
@Korath Because the test is by choice, for the top mages to grasp power and fame.
Getting first class gets you the bragging rights of being the best of the best, world-wide access (aka you can go anywhere with that status and no one will bar you), and political power.
It's not a forced exam, every single participant here have chosen to participate fully knowing the risk of death.

It's like the army irl. You can be a foot soldier/grunt, but if you want to be special forces, you have to go through live ammo exams, and a single misstep means youre dead.

For your next point, the world is relatively in peace at this time, because the demon king/lord was defeated by the Hero's party 30 years ago, thus tension has relatively died down and people's guard have dropped, especially if its far away from the frontlines.

Dex-chan lover
@Scrwd to be fair this test is useless even if you use the real world equivalent i mean with someone who is weak can definitely pass this test based on this chapter the main reason why the side character manage to get the bird is because they depleted most of their mana and so manage to get close to the birds basically as long as you know a good binding spell even if you have a weak ass mana pool you can capture the bird and because you have a low mana pool it will be harder for other mages to find you.

You legit can be the strongest or the weakest and you can still pass the test so in the end it doesnโ€™t test for strength and youโ€™d just be killing mages with great potential.

Dex-chan lover
@Korath

I completely agree.

It's so idiotic to have a test with so many odd variables. Like the old mage said, experience is extremely important. But many of these mages may be capable, but not experienced, but they'll lose their chance to gain the experience because they got killed in this dumb test. And there's no guarantee that a capable and experienced mage wont die to an ambush or a trap by an even more capable mage, or even a weaker one, if the ambush/trap is set up well.

I would also imagine that in a battle of mages, preemptive strike, what kind of specialty a mage is focused on as well as the match up between the mages would be a pretty big factor.

Also the fact that it's made up of teams of 3 means that a mage could pass the test simply because another much more capable mage is carrying the rest.

Or a mage that truly deserves to pass the test ends up failing because he was paired up with an idiot mage who fell down a cliff and died.

Dex-chan lover
Poor Wirbel.
Frieren wants that magic. You know how much of a sucker she is for weird magic.

Dex-chan lover
@Narha
So? In life there are a ton of variables you cant control. No matter how strong, experienced or well prepared you are, you can still fail.
This test is basically that. Luck, good or bad, is always a factor.

Double-page supporter
@greatninja3 No, they need both experience and a large mana pool to pass the test. Experience in knowing the environment to not get hunted, knowledge in the monsters they face and their target, knowledge on how to capture the target with what you have and strength to be able to execute that plan. Every single mage in here have large mana pools because they all strong mages, and only Fern and Frieren were capturing birds with their specialty of mana suppression, afawk. None of the other mages were bothering with hiding their power, and a few were able to capture the birds regardless.
And must i remind you again that Frieren got instantly detected the moment she stopped suppressing her mana, meaning the mages can and will detect even trace amount of them.

@Narha Exams are not meant to teach you, they are meant to filter out the capable from the useless. They chose to enter this exam lacking knowledge and skills to survive, so of course they would get wrecked, and if you fall into a trap, well, your fault you didnt detect it, the demons wont give you second chances. In addition, you don't get to have all the cards you want when shit hits the fan anyways, especially in wartime. It's always about obtaining the objective with what you have. Just look at Frieren's party, if all of them were alone they would have had a low chance of capturing a bird by themselves, but by 1. freezing the middle lake, 2. poisoning all other water sources with mana and then 3. using Frieren's ridiculously niche spell to capture birds were they manage to pull off, despite being a team that doesnt really have easy means to capture their targets

Users who are viewing this thread