Spamming 10/10 rating on yuri and other work

Dex-chan lover
I'll rate a series I've completed, though One Piece is the exception, since each new chapter wows me! Oddly enough though, I wasn't sold on Egghead totally until I reread from 1060 to 1093 in one sitting.
Anyway, case in point I may love the series, but unless it's still running after 700+ chapters I'm not rating it.

Double-page supporter
The issue seems to be that Mangadex is much less a collection curation tool, as compared to being an update notification site and accessible library.

I find the apps and sites that are for curating your collection or read history are usually more objective since people are ranking and sorting what they've read, relative to other manga. Polluting their top 50 by rating a bunch of trash with a 10/10 or 100/100 is less likely to happen as it negates their curation effort.

On Mangadex, I might adjust a rating now and then on if the story gets better or worse but I don't really look at what I've read and think, "If's that's an 8, then this has to be only a 7". And if something is overrated or underrated in my Completed list, it does not affect my use of the site or really concern me.

Especially for less followed works, I think overrating happens to keep the scanlators encouraged.

The 1 and 10 ratings probably end up collecting a bunch of "political" ratings (eg like what one person said about "MAL drama"). So probably a lot of 9 ratings are actually higher than a 10 rating. There is both Bayesian average and the "average" average; I wonder if that's for weighting against this kind of effect.

What I have been doing is clicking on the ratings and see the distribution of votes, although I'm not sure how useful it is. I don't understand how so much manga has mostly 10, when I personally rate even very very good manga a 9 so that I can have room if I find something yet a tier above.

Dex-chan lover
The 1 and 10 ratings probably end up collecting a bunch of "political" ratings (eg like what one person said about "MAL drama"). So probably a lot of 9 ratings are actually higher than a 10 rating. There is both Bayesian average and the "average" average; I wonder if that's for weighting against this kind of effect.

What I have been doing is clicking on the ratings and see the distribution of votes, although I'm not sure how useful it is. I don't understand how so much manga has mostly 10, when I personally rate even very very good manga a 9 so that I can have room if I find something yet a tier above.
I use MD ratings as a binary yes/no "do I read this or not" discriminator, fwiw, so I'm less concerned with the accuracy of the rating vs does it fall above or below the threshold at which I'm willing to read. The average of 8 is generally where this threshold sits, noting that I do rate both above and below this threshold.

Since context always matters, I always look at the distribution and then the comments section. If you see a spike at either the 10 or 1 outside of the bell curve, those are "political ratings" based on subject matter and often irrelevant to the actual quality of the piece. See e.g., the yuri question, as well as anything with non-virgin FMC (

who I refuse to call "used goods" because I find that term to be small-minded and derogatory

) where visually there is an obvious spike of 10 for the former and 1 for the latter.

I've found that for manga with an average >9, there's typically a smooth ramp up to 10 so a spike would be harder to spot, but then again that's also well above my threshold for quality and consequently accuracy is not particularly relevant.

TL;DR: statistics should be an elementary-level course because a simple number means nothing :wooow:

Dex-chan lover
will I agree rating even worse than fucking IGN rating in this site, I am okay with how it work, people can put 10/10 on what they want, even if I can t fandom how someone can like certain thing and my brain is trigger at this fact, it does not matter at the end of the day

Double-page supporter
I find that a lot of ongoing twitter trash meh product has this problem and gets hugely overrated. I don't know if it is motivate the scanlator or author to keep on with the story or what.

I suggest using the advanced filter and changing publication status to completed. And also double click Oneshot to exclude them. You might find the ratings to be a little more objective, especially on the older completed series.

Dex-chan lover
I know that some people already talked about this. There is a swarm of 10/10 ratings on yuri/GL (or other tags) works and it's really boring.

I like to discover new manga/manhwa/manhua by sorting by highest rating, it's really infuriating finding a promising cover and synopsys with good ratings but heh, after reading a little, I find out it's complete garbage. Non existing story, trashy arts and horrible rythm.

Right I don't have a good example but I will still use this example.

There is just one chapter from 1 month ago. The ratings are incredibly good for a new released on mangadex (average 8.40 with 25 10/10) but on mangaupdates there is just one unbiased rating (1/10). I know that MD try to smooth the extreme ratings with their average but I think it's not sufficient.

Just for your information the work projects all of the bad stropes that you can find in bad historical/romance Manhua in just one chapter, that's an incredible prowess.

I was thinking maybe here we can think of something before suggesting a solution to MD staff.

I think one of the solution to solve this issue of overating (by bots or low IQ people spamming 10) is to limit their right to rate works.

Yes, I know I sound like I want to start a dictatorship where only good enough work (from my point on view of course) can have good ratings. That's why I am waiting for other opinion.

Please tell me your thoughts, I don't want to flop ! :fml:

PS: Don't put me in Suggestions please I want to talk in the manga Megathread first.
Have you just now discovered that people tend to insanely praising any yuri mangas or upvoting any other when some work chooses or seems to choose the yuri route? I agree that it can be annoying or look weird, but people are people, especially ones as passionate as yuri shippers. If it's annoying to you, it's easier to either ignore it or doesn't take it so seriously. Any controversy surrounding this is as pointless as over downvoting of many good works because of ecchi and gore.

People bombing reviews for a series or inflating them for their own little weeb narratives. Like if one piece had a higher rating than AoT for even a tiny second a wave of insecure AoT fans review bomb one piece.

So I'm saying that I don't think review bombing on MangaDex should be a thing. But also it's good to treat the rating system with respect and keep good series on top instead of some mid yuri
I wouldn't call this "MAL nonsense"; it happens on many very various resources. For example, Breaking Bad fans once massively downvoted AoT episodes on Imdb after one of the final season episodes beat out one of the series' highest-rated episodes. Or did you know that fans of K-pop groups often artificially boost their favorite groups' YouTube and Twitter stats to prove that them is "objectively" more successful online that other? Yes, this is as crazy as it sounds. In general, it’s not a matter of resources, but, as I said above, the excessive passion of the fans. Which is nothing new.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Ratings should always be taken with a grain of salt when a series covers "divisive" topics (LGBT+, love interests who used to sleep around, slavery, harems, etc.).

Honestly, you're more likely to find something you like by looking at the "Popular" carousel on the main page or glancing through the latest updates and checking the descriptions of anything that catches your eye.

Things that might really resonate with you aren't necessary going to be highly rated. Heck, many of my absolute favorite titles on this site don't even make it to the top 30% ratings wise. If I used the ratings method I'd have to root through over 100 pages of results to get to them.
Yeah. People just tend to take it too seriously because they view ratings as the result of serious voting, and not the votes of different people biased in one direction or another. The more you know the fans or the situation behind a particular work, the less seriously you take such things.

Users who are viewing this thread