Spamming 10/10 rating on yuri and other work

Contributor
I know that some people already talked about this. There is a swarm of 10/10 ratings on yuri/GL (or other tags) works and it's really boring.

I like to discover new manga/manhwa/manhua by sorting by highest rating, it's really infuriating finding a promising cover and synopsys with good ratings but heh, after reading a little, I find out it's complete garbage. Non existing story, trashy arts and horrible rythm.

Right I don't have a good example but I will still use this example.

There is just one chapter from 1 month ago. The ratings are incredibly good for a new released on mangadex (average 8.40 with 25 10/10) but on mangaupdates there is just one unbiased rating (1/10). I know that MD try to smooth the extreme ratings with their average but I think it's not sufficient.

Just for your information the work projects all of the bad stropes that you can find in bad historical/romance Manhua in just one chapter, that's an incredible prowess.

I was thinking maybe here we can think of something before suggesting a solution to MD staff.

I think one of the solution to solve this issue of overating (by bots or low IQ people spamming 10) is to limit their right to rate works.

Yes, I know I sound like I want to start a dictatorship where only good enough work (from my point on view of course) can have good ratings. That's why I am waiting for other opinion.

Please tell me your thoughts, I don't want to flop ! :fml:

PS: Don't put me in Suggestions please I want to talk in the manga Megathread first.

Dex-chan lover
Yuri will conquer the world.

But realistically, other people are simply searching tags and tropes they enjoy and giving manga/manwha a 10/10 that have content they like.

Its not like everyone is reading every manga uploaded, and even among those not everyone is gonna leave a rating, but people who avidly search for certain content may be more likely to grade them higher in the hopes of sharing them with other people like the OP who searches by score.

Unfortunately for aggragate scores to really mean anything, enough people have to give a score for the processs to properly create an average, and if the manga in question is honestly not that great then its unlikely to get enough attention to have an appropriately high enough pool of reviews.

Another possibility is that some people are trying to counter the people who just spam 1/10 ratings to anything with any gay content, something which does happen rather a lot.

Contributor
The thing is, people have gotten so used to mediocrity that they'll give everything a 10 because they've never read anything that would be consider good.

If they like that type of manga, there's nothing wrong to rate it 10. Seems fine to me.
The thing is there are no episode released yet, so how can they already rate by a 10 ?

Yuri will conquer the world.
👀

enough people have to give a score for the processs to properly create an average
That's funny because it's stupid, the concept of average is to give a realist rate for the work not a fake one being influenced by people rating extreme mark to influence the average.

You think the manga is good, but your neighbor not, the average will smooth the results and show if the work is good or not.

Another possibility is that some people are trying to counter the people who just spam 1/10 ratings to anything with any gay content, something which does happen rather a lot.
My suggestion is to stop spam ratings by muting permanently or not some accounts. But I think this solution lacks something, that is why I am asking for ideas and help.

Dex-chan lover
There might be an easier solution tbvh without all the sillyness of moderation.

If OP really wants to find manga specifically by rating and not get cheated by spammers or whatnot, Mangadex would have to implement more filters for the search function.

Ie: Search by Highest rating with the filter of highest view count.

That would immediately sort manga by the rating closest to 10/10 and showing in descending order manga that have been seen by alot of people.

You could even go one step further and filter results by 90 days/6months/1year to see which manga are being popular.

Its far simplier to implement such a search system than to try moderating people over ratings.

Dex-chan lover
but on mangaupdates there is just one unbiased rating (1/10).
That sounds just as biased as 10/10.

Having read the chapter, the art's not bad, though the story is a little dumb/incoherent. Part of the problem may be the translation itself, though. I wouldn't give anything a rating with only one chapter to base it off of, but if I had to, then 4/10, I suppose?

It's not the worst I've seen, but it's also not the best. Certainly not 10/10. To deserve a 1/10 it has to be really bad, like zero redeeming qualities.

I don't really know what the solution here is, though. It certainly is not
My suggestion is to stop spam ratings by muting permanently or not some accounts.

I could see adjusting weighting by how close that person is usually to majority opinion (mean or mode, perhaps), but at no point should their weighting be zero. Just like the 10/10 spam, there's also some people tossing out 1/10 to good manga they they just happen to dislike. Should we permanently mute those people too?

Fed-Kun's army
After some time I had personally come to the conclusion that, it isn't really fair for me to give series a 1-10 rating scale because, over the years, I've discovered series that are so much better or so much worse than series I have previously given high praise or excessively low ratings. Since I am not about to go and re-adjust all of the ratings I had previously made, I had decided to adhere to a strict policy of only rating things with either 1, 5, or 10. A rating of 10 being something I had personally enjoyed. A rating of 5 being something that I consider to just be okay, mediocre even, but it was at least able to keep my attention but not something I would be willing to pay for or support. A 1 being either, so unbelievably boring that I couldn't continue reading it, so unbelievably stupid that my suspension of disbelief couldn't hold on any longer, or it managed to truly infuriate me.

Dex-chan lover
After some time I had personally come to the conclusion that, it isn't really fair for me to give series a 1-10 rating scale because, over the years, I've discovered series that are so much better or so much worse than series I have previously given high praise or excessively low ratings. Since I am not about to go and re-adjust all of the ratings I had previously made, I had decided to adhere to a strict policy of only rating things with either 1, 5, or 10. A rating of 10 being something I had personally enjoyed. A rating of 5 being something that I consider to just be okay, mediocre even, but it was at least able to keep my attention but not something I would be willing to pay for or support. A 1 being either, so unbelievably boring that I couldn't continue reading it, so unbelievably stupid that my suspension of disbelief couldn't hold on any longer, or it managed to truly infuriate me.
at the end of the day the ratings are meant to represent how much you enjoyed something, thinking on them as an absolute value that overlap with the previous and future things you will enjoy is not the way to go about them

I personally give stuff that I absolutely adored 10-9, really good stuff 8, good 7, average 6-4 and awful 1
since there are different genres and different reasons to love some mangas I don't bother thinking of comparing each other or focusing on the "quality" of the mangas itself

Dex-chan lover
My version is personal enjoyment + the actual quality of the material. I might enjoy a manga about a big-tiddy character with a focus on big-tiddy but I recognize those manga are usually 4-6 objectively.

I always strive to be objective with my ratings because I don't want to skew others like me looking for a new manga only to find that the "mid" has risen to the top somehow. I think that ratings have some weight on this website, although taken too seriously can lead to MAL nonsense.

Dex-chan lover
What is MAL nonsense ? Is there a drama that I am not aware of ?
People bombing reviews for a series or inflating them for their own little weeb narratives. Like if one piece had a higher rating than AoT for even a tiny second a wave of insecure AoT fans review bomb one piece.

So I'm saying that I don't think review bombing on MangaDex should be a thing. But also it's good to treat the rating system with respect and keep good series on top instead of some mid yuri

Dex-chan lover
Someone else asked on other thread about the rating system and an admin explained the system, a thread that started with a poll about how people usually rate a good work. I only read Japanese works with the exception of the meme series of Merryweather, and the reason I put always a 10 and add to my library the series I really like and want to keep track is because honest ratings (there's no decimals when you vote) matter to no one, only the overall rating before deciding about giving a shot or not. I mostly read yuri (manga, no Korean/Chinese/Vietnamese/etc. works) and always rate it as 10 in that case in response to people who hate the genre and put a 1 without even reading the series. My recommendation is ignoring the score of whatever series and peek a quick glance of them, because covers and coloured pages bluff about the quality of the work and identifying patterns to quickly determine if the series is for you or not.
PS: I don't rate bad series or series I dislike.

Dex-chan lover
You think the manga is good, but your neighbor not, the average will smooth the results and show if the work is good or not.

My suggestion is to stop spam ratings by muting permanently or not some accounts. But I think this solution lacks something, that is why I am asking for ideas and help.
if they like the manga they are more likely to leave a rating if they do not like it they are more likely to move on without rating it that is how the human mind works the rating system averages out fairly well but it cannot average scores out if no one uses it.

let me be clear here no matter what we do the system WILL be flawed the one we have currently is the best.

Dex-chan lover
Ratings are (or should be) a personal way to value something. They are subjective. There's no "universal truth", no "quality standard". Sites a la Rotting Tomatoes are just crappy reviewers full of themselves. A title can be for me a 9-10, but for you a 1-2, and vice versa. You can't punish people voting 10: it's allowed. Also, you'll never stop bombing the ratings. It's futile to even try.
Ignore the ratings, as almost all people do. Just read and have fun.
P.S.: I don't rate works I dislike. I just stop reading'em.

Dex-chan lover
Ratings should always be taken with a grain of salt when a series covers "divisive" topics (LGBT+, love interests who used to sleep around, slavery, harems, etc.).

Honestly, you're more likely to find something you like by looking at the "Popular" carousel on the main page or glancing through the latest updates and checking the descriptions of anything that catches your eye.

Things that might really resonate with you aren't necessary going to be highly rated. Heck, many of my absolute favorite titles on this site don't even make it to the top 30% ratings wise. If I used the ratings method I'd have to root through over 100 pages of results to get to them.

Users who are viewing this thread