[SPOILERS - Re: Creators] Got a philosophical question about the ending

Dex-chan lover
Remember the ending where everyone gets a happy ending and most of the characters, except for the mage girl, "goes home"? Do they really?

From the moment they exist in this world, they are capable of free will, meanwhile, in their respective stories, their personality, dialogue, sense of self, and ever their destinies are all on the whims of their creators. And we all know that fiction isn't alive, yet when they are here, they are.

Does "going home" is the character equivalent of suicide? And if so, what makes it so? The loss of free will? The inexistence of a physical body? The inescapable destiny of "The End"?

And would this apply to us if we one day figure out that we're just NPCs in a computer game or if we upload our brains online or even if we have mathematically proven that all our future actions are predetermined?

This has been plaguing my mind ever since I watched it. Somehow it came into my head once more earlier and I figured that I should just talk about it so it stops bouncing inside my head, distracting me from studying for finals.

To me, them "going home" is just death. There are two versions of the characters, the "real" and the story. If the real is dead, the story moves on, but the story was never alive to begin with. Them going home, to me, is just the cessation of the "real" characters and that's basically death. What are your opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread