SPY×FAMILY - Ch. 101

Double-page supporter
Bow your heads, for you stand at the grave of a real one.

Reactions: jlm
Dex-chan lover
Bro my heart can't handle this. I hope after this arc is over we get more wholesome stuff than usual.

Double-page supporter
I don't view it as a backstory to be honest. I view it as integral to the overall plot of the story. This war and its extent is finally being shown to us USING the backstory as a plot device. Let alone that background we got into Desmonds mind was also necessary I would imagine for later on.
Yes, this right here!!!
Spy X Family is of course a very cute and fun found family series and many people love it for that, but the very foundation of the narrative is built upon the war and how it has affected everybody in their own unique ways, both the innocents that lost their entire worlds, and those same people trying to make sure the new generations don't go through that (and even those working against that). Some of my favorite moments in the manga have been stuff like Loid's past and this new arc. Great stuff all around.

Dex-chan lover
I think I sympathize with readers who want to go back to the slice of life. It's still the core premise of the series, even if the geopolitical and social issues were very heavily apparent even from the first chapter. So this can feel a bit like not getting what you bought on the tin.

That being said, I think it will eventually elevate the SoL by helping to further the contrast later to the lives loyd and family have now. One reason why it works so well in the first place is because it happens in spite of the fact that the family is a spy, an assassin and a former psychic test subject. That's my argument for why this isn't a spinoff.

On a different note, these conditions for repatriating soldiers is pretty real. Particularly after the Great War, while repatriation of soldiers after war is millennia old issue, it had never been done on the scale and complexity that was the case right after WW1. A lot of soldiers did indeed die of malnutrition, disease or their injuries while being ferried home, and many thousands of others had to trek or hitchhike. That's not even counting the mass civilian exoduses or expulsions. Conditions were generally improved and the logistics of repatriation more evolved by WW2 however.

Dex-chan lover
Endo-Sensei is doing one hell of a risky move with this arc. I'm really surprised that the editors said ok to this rather than make a Spin-off.

Going for around 90 chapters of this manga being a mix of comedy-action-drama to then switch to an entire lore arc without the main cast is a bold move, when let's be honest most people who read SpyxFamily are here for Anya shenanigans.

Hope to be proved wrong since I do like quite a bit this arc.
I remember reading somewhere that the author didn't really liked this manga, since it differs from what they want to do, but needs to keep doing it for the company, fans, money, etc. I feel (just a personal feeling) that this arc goes more in line with what they really want do to, the stories they want to tell. So maybe they reached an agreement with the editor to mix some main family shenanigans and these more serious arcs, in order to find motivation to keep doing this manga.

Supporter
As much as I like this arc. Extending it this long is just a bad move. This manga updates every 2 weeks, and we already know the conclusion that she won't be with her crush. I was really hoping that we end the flashback and get back to the present to see how becky would help getting them together.
This is sadly going the route of many Manga that would develop everything but the main plot.

And I personally don't like that. Sure cool lore and all. But we only got a glimpse of Desmond and there is no mention of the main cast. We could have seen the brutality of the war from Yor and Yuri side as civilians suffering the consequences of war and the curroption -which is when the garden comes into the picture-. As we already seen how the front lines were brutal with Loid.

Also even the timing here is confusing. As unless I am mistaken Loid was rather Young when the war ended as he did lie to enlist before he was of age. And those 2 are not that old as well by the end of the war. She did enlist as soon as she graduated. And only few years passed till the war ended as per the flashback. So how come Mr. Elegant has gray hair and appears on his 80's and Becky attendant looks like in her 70's is beyond me when they were very young in this flashback.

Dex-chan lover
W517HvS.png

Dex-chan lover
I remember reading somewhere that the author didn't really liked this manga, since it differs from what they want to do, but needs to keep doing it for the company, fans, money, etc. I feel (just a personal feeling) that this arc goes more in line with what they really want do to, the stories they want to tell. So maybe they reached an agreement with the editor to mix some main family shenanigans and these more serious arcs, in order to find motivation to keep doing this manga.
Yeah, we still have "serious" arcs along the way (besides any new terrorist attempt in the present):

•Anya's past
•Yor's past and how she met Garden
•Perhaps the Handler's and/or Nightfall's pasts too?

Dex-chan lover
If she knew he was going to die, she would've probably said yes. F for Paul. I like the guy more than some certain characters on a manga with 300+ ch.

Users who are viewing this thread