Stop using Romaji as the default for titles :rejected:

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes zero sense to use Romaji as the default for title names on this site, it is a really inefficient, and frankly stupid decision. It is neither the native title nor a title an English reader would understand. It makes the site unnecessarily obtuse and most likely hinders the readership of most manga here

Dex-chan lover
before we start, lets do a little quiz.

q1. how many time did this topic have been discussed on this forum?
q2. how many time did our devs said soonTM?
q3. what are the number of views for planned and rejected thread?

Hazzack, I realize that you like being smug and talking down to people but when I searched the topic the results were years old. The planned change to title preference was mentioned over 8 months ago as "coming soon" and that would not affect my topic, which related to the DEFAULT title. Perhaps you should work on reading comprehension and less on sharpening your condescension.

Dex-chan lover
now now. i really like being smug and talking down to people, but i only did that when i really want to do it. right now i just really want to do a small quiz so we can make fun of each other for being stupid.

now to the topic, the title page is user-based, meaning there's no such thing as default. people -who has authority to change what to show on the title page, has the right to change what kind of title will show(as the title). this will never change on this version of the site.

any change to this site will show when v5 launch.

related recent thread: https://mangadex.org/thread/341419/

comeonnow0 original names make more sense than romaji, but being a primarily english site obviously English titles by default makes the most sense.

Not sure if that was meant to be some sort of argument against my suggestion, Hazzack, but unwillingness to change isn't really an actual point. There is no benefit to using romaji, it only hinders readership

Fed-Kun's army
Unless there are some kind of rules and rule enforcements regarding the titles. Other than that, this is no more than a useless debate. Ones with the edit permission will surely set the titles to their liking.

Dex-chan lover
no, no. there's no argument, i'm just trying to tell you that you're stupid.
it's not unwillingness to change the system. the devs are doing overhaul to the site, so any changes to the site will show at the next version of the site.
your suggestion of "Stop using Romaji as the default for titles" is already planned as "Indicate preferred title from alt-titles". if you can't understand the meaning of that suggestion, that means you can choose what the default title for yourself. isn't that great?

however- as i said over my previous post, the changes will show after the devs launch the v5 of this site which no one knows when will it happens.

Reported you for the personal attack. Changing your preference only affects you on the user level when logged in, and only for titles you go in and manually change, and 8 months later still isn't implemented. Does nothing to address my initial topic. You are a very toxic person hazzack, I hope you can one day find something that brings you joy outside of acting like this on a manga forum.

Dex-chan lover
that's cool.
i did address your topic by telling you there's no such thing as default title. i did write that, right? even MavB guy write that.
but you're right about one thing. right now there's nothing bring me joy other than telling people that they're stupid, but i do hope i got other past time to do.

Dex-chan lover
> OP: your decision is stupid.
> also OP: HOW DARE YOU TO DISRESPECT ME!

Direct Personal Attacks: We encourage intelligent, thoughtful discussion on MangaDex. We encourage users to criticize the content of a post and not the poster themselves. This particular violation will be taken on a case by case basis since context and severity of the violation is important when a mod is considering taking action. For example, calling someone an idiot and offering evidence why they're an idiot will most likely not result in moderator action. Calling someone an idiot and doing nothing else will result in moderator action, not because you called someone an idiot, but because it was the sole content of your post. Note that especially egregious foul language may or may not result in moderator action.

The Duck did nothing wrong and this thread is stupid.

Yeah you guys aren't really making any good points in here, just going for ad hominem because of wanting a change to the current status quo in a section of the forum dedicated to suggestions for changing the site. They say birds of a feather flock together, and it really seems to be a true statement as exemplified by you guys.

romanji is far superior for multiple reasons.
1. because not everybody can read a string of jpn chars
2. Because even Japanese cell phones type using romanji which converts it into the correct characters.
3. Not every title has a official english translation.
4. Google Translated Titles are terrible and no cent make kappa cry wind.
5. Quack.

I appreciate you being the first person to actually post a reasonable reply, blackyawgdom, even if I disagree with your points at least you addressed my suggestion and made counter points to it.

Group Leader
I think we can reach some sort of compromise here. When we hover the mouse over a title, it should show a small window that displays some basic information about the manga, like its original/alternate names. Surely it shouldn't be hard. Many other manga sites have done this.

Now, let's have some of these to cool off.

Fed-Kun's army
Yeah you guys aren't really making any good points in here
Actually, you too are not making any good points. As I may have mentioned, if you want to change the status quo you want to convince the administrators to make a specific rule and ensure everyone to follow it, or better yet, forbid everyone from changing/creating titles that are not translated. Not only that, this must not ne lumped together with other planned features, they have to act quick, as if it's one of the most important tasks they have to do. You didn't adrress any of it to be an urgent matter no? Because the impression I got is that it's no different from any other debates that got rejected, you will not achieve your goal like this.

Dex-chan lover
You know what? OP is right.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!
BRING CHANGES NOW!

7D0x0VI.png

Dex-chan lover
@xyagerx
While I can't say for certain OP, I do think that you would have received a more polite response had you not included such subjective language in your original post:
It makes zero sense to use Romaji as the default for title names on this site, it is a really inefficient, and frankly stupid decision. It is neither the native title nor a title an English reader would understand. It makes the site unnecessarily obtuse and most likely hinders the readership of most manga here
The "Indicate preferred title from alt-titles" planned feature that hazzquack mentioned is an improvement to the site that would affect the use of Romaji titles.

As a piece of personal advice: change your profile pic, pal. At least, if you want to be taken seriously.

old-rough-western-cowboy-gray-260nw-225456418.jpg

People round these parts don't take too kindly to defaultbros showin' up and runnin' their bazoos, sonny. Best to burn the breeze and let this all blow over a bit 'fore comin' back with your new pfp and actin' like a curly wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread