Stop using Romaji as the default for titles :rejected:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
i'm still don't understand, why do you want this thing.

I mean, come on dude, you cannot be serious, right? If Group/community have a good translation on the title, they'll use it as the title (maybe), not all shit can be translated and be lookin' good, like, for example : Kimetsu no Yaiba as Blade for Destruction of Demon, do you want that? no, right.

it's hard to translate shit you know. [Or maybe how about this, you become a contributor or group leader. Problem solve. (idk about this one, maybe there's a rules or something, like baka-updates)

Even MAL choose to use romaji rather than the translated one, anilist, etc. They choose romaji and let the translated one become the alternative title.

i'm sorry op, i am giving you -1, because its just nonsense.

Dex-chan lover
@xyagerx
bbbut, "Case Closed" sounds lamer than "Detective Conan"
:(
Also, are you talking about the "official" English title or "fan-translated/literal" title?

I think it would be confusing if the series is already well known for it's Japanese title. For example if Kusuriya no Hitorigoto got defaulted to its official English title Apothecary Diaries, or if Raise wa Tanin ga Ii got changed to An Outsider Is better in the Afterlife its rough English translation.

Also what does "default" encapsulate? I'm sure if this were to be applied there'd be some rules. Since most of these are just scan groups giving their own translation, and not all titles have an english title printed on the manga itself and most of time when it gets picked up by an English publisher they don't take it in mind. See: Sayonara Miniskirt with the print Good bye Miniskirt but the official english title is: Not Your Idol lol no

Anilist does have this option of either showing everything in English or Romaji but their rule is they will only accept the official english title, if it doesn't have one then the romaji version will default. That's why titles like Second Life Ranker is Dubeon Saneun Ranker because it doesn't have an offical english publication.

So setting something like this as "default" sitewide is a no for me. Just let the users choose what they wanna see whenever v5 comes.

One more thing to consider: there are non-English countries that are using English titles for manga, but those do not necessarily match with the English titles in the USA. So, which English title should be the default title when there are several different official English titles...?

It can be even funnier: the Official English translation uses Romaji, while a non-English country uses English.

An example would be the manga "Nosatsu Junkie". That's the Official English title, as you can see in this cover:
Nosatsu_vol03.jpg

In Germany, the same manga is named "Charming Junkie". See here:
51-FjYo6NOL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So, which "English" title should be the default title exactly...?

Dex-chan lover
Whatever it is, can I see the image? I have no idea what the manga on my follows are because it is title only. Sure there is the Manga: reading option but that shows updates even if they are in a different language and that is not helpful.

isnt the default title decided by the people who create the manga pages and power uploaders? the mods have no role in this
instead of complaining to the mods, complain to those guys instead
also, the mods are already working hard as is. doubt that they would go out of their way to change every single jp title.

Contributor
Whether or not the title is romaji or translated is 100% up to the scanlators. Power Uploaders, Group Leaders and Contributors have the power to edit any manga title on the site. I have to change the title of one of my group's manga every 2 ~ 3 months or so because someone else keep changing them.

Also, whether titles are translated or not should be handled on a case-by-case basis. For example, there's no reason why "I Won't Become a Villainess. I'm Just a "Normal" Duke's Daughter!" shouldn't be translated, but for something like 八雲さんは餌づけがしたい the title just sounds weird in English, and certain title have puns in their name that will be completely lost.

I dont want shitty american localized titles.

Romanji is shitty weeb only localized titles, it isn't a real language. The only people who use it are westerners who can't read Japanese characters in the first place. If you are going to bastardize it, you might as well just put up the actual translation of the title

is a Reindeer
VIP
well as fun as this discussion was, gonna lock this thread so people stop wasting their own time
pick your own default title whenever the feature comes out in v5
we're not going to force your own preferences onto every series on the site (same thing goes for the people who want every series to use first volume covers) , current titles are just set to whatever causes the least amount of edit wars or whatever the groups that scanlate them want

@Winstonite consider reporting the series and having it locked if it's an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread