Suki na Ko ga Megane wo Wasureta - Vol. 4 Ch. 47

@vTool typically yes because there are only few options for the words starting with "ru"... that included with "foreign japanized word" or what else do you call it... "rumania" "ruuraa (ruler)" etc.

Dex-chan lover
@gnambiar
Mie said "Komura-kun" for her word and it ends with "N" (ん).
There would be no word that starts with "N" (ん), so saying it means you broke the chain just as you would if you weren't able to come up with a word on time.
Funny thing here is that Mie could have just cut out the "-kun" an she would still be good.

Komura himself said she won for a different reason (the way she lost was cute, and cuteness is justice)

@gnambiar

He instinctively replied to his name being called

And got slightly embarrased that his name was the first thing she could think of

Reactions: Lev
Dex-chan lover
look at the comment i just realize a lot of ppl dont now the basic of japanese or how shirotori work in japan 🤣

Contributor
To be fair, this is primarily an English speaking manga-reading community, so lacking basic knowledge of Japanese phonemes is not exactly surprising.

Dex-chan lover
I just wanted to say thanks for leaving the Japanese words as is and putting the translation in parentheses. At this point I know what the game is, but every time it’s played in stuff like this, the TL just translates everything and I feel like I’m missing something. On another note it seems like this game would be the perfect way to practice Japanese with a friend. Surprised the online class I took didn’t have that as an activity. Actually, I’m suprised Duolingo doesn’t have this game as a way to practice. It couldn’t be that hard to program. If I can play scramble with the computer; I should be able to play this with an owl. Also is there a rule against ending a word with N (like an instant lost for the person that did that because it’s impossible to continue)? Regardless that’s the perfect way to shut the game down.

@TNT261 there was a small tln under the panel where they stopped saying that there are no Japanese words starting with N. Which is weird since she used a name and there are plenty of japanese names that begin with n.

Playing shiritori can't be this cute

Talking about shiritori, Japanese syllable starts with a vocal alphabet or a consonant that followed by a vocal alphabets, so when Mie said "Komura-kun" she ends it with a "n" syllable which is a single alphabet without any vocal alphabet after it. Komura can't continue with the word that start with "na", "ni", "nu", "ne", or "no" because "n" is different syllable with all of them

Users who are viewing this thread