Support more Indian languages and its language flags

Power Uploader
Consider: https://mangadex.org/title/fac1870c-2ca1-439c-bd97-020dbbd732f0/usotsuki-satsuki-shi-ga-mieru

P9KMD7B.png

The flag marked Indian is actually for the language Hindi (ISO 639-2)
However, the alt-titles are, in the same order as seen in the screenshot, in Malayalam, Tamil, and Hindi

There's thus two parts to the suggestion:
1. API support for the respective languages (shud be already supported just not available I think) Tamil (ISO 639-2) and Malayalam (ISO 639-2)
2. Frontend support for the respective language flags
- Since the Indian National flag was already taken by Hindi, there are two options to consider
- Keep Indian National flag to Hindi, have "flags" similar to Tamil on MangaDex (using just the script from the language)
- have "flags" similar to Tamil for all Indian languages because, and I'm sorry to bring Indian politics into this, Hindi isn't the national language of the country. Its been a myth and kept as ambiguous for decades. (Reference)

Considering the present Tamil flag was adopted to separate Sri Lankan and Indian variants, this is a similar case.

Upvote 3
Power Uploader
Edited the title language flags so here's the updated image
This shows the Tamil Language flag that I was referring to as well (second last alt-title in the screenshot)

oqFLSoe.png

Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
Why not just do something similar with how character/romanization are handled? A small icon can be made, maybe a single character from each variant
For Tamil we didn't do this because the region it is most spoken in is very tense (politically), and we've been told that using the Indian flag for it was not acceptable. Hence the completely made-up flag with a letter on it.

Power Uploader
• Punjabi [1] [2] [3]
  • Most probably the chapter in question
  • is present in 639-1 with language code "pa"
  • For the flag it could be a similar situation to Tamil and Telugu language flags as Punjabi is spoken in two countries, Pakistan and India, and I don't really think the language itself has a flag, hopefully someone can give some insight here.

• Punjabi [1] [2] [3]
  • Most probably the chapter in question
  • is present in 639-1 with language code "pa"
  • For the flag it could be a similar situation to Tamil and Telugu language flags as Punjabi is spoken in two countries, Pakistan and India, and I don't really think the language itself has a flag, hopefully someone can give some insight here.
Hey thank-you very much for talking about punjabi language here! Yess punjabi is a very diverse language with many many dialects, and it's spoken in both indian punjab and pakistani punjab.
The flag thing is actually really confusing for me too, cuz it's spoken in both India and pak, there's no language with pakistani flag ig rn, but if for ex- urdu is added to language then it would also have a pakistani flag and indian flag is also taken by hindi ( unfortunately), but I think we can do something same like in Tamil case! We can use this as a flag " ਪ/پ" cuz punjabi has two active scripts, gurmukhi (ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀ) and shahmukhi (شاہ مکھی), so that flag will cover for both scripts too!
I hope the devs look into it! :)

Power Uploader
Out of the 23 Official Languages of India, 6 are already present/implemented in site, which are:

Bengali, English, Hindi, Nepali, Tamil and Telugu

Out of which two have been requested by scantlors so I think those two should get priority, Both of which are present in ISO 639-1/ISO 639-2, which are:

Punjabi (On MangaDex discord support channel and above [1] [2]^)

Urdu

That leaves 15 Official Languages, Out of which 9 are present in ISO 639-1 & ISO 639-2 both and some are present in ISO 639-2 or ISO 639-3, which are:

Present in both ISO 639-1/ISO 639-2
Assamese
Gujarati
Kannada
Kashmiri
Malayalam
Marathi
Odia (Oriya)
Sanskrit
Sindhi

Present in ISO 639-2
Dogri
Konkani
Maithili
Meitei
Santali

Present in ISO 639-3:
Bodo

Last edited:
Power Uploader
Another prominent language of India that isn't an official language of the country is "Marathi", which is also present in ISO 639-1/ISO 639-2

Power Uploader
Another language I'd like see added is Bhojpuri, which is present in ISO 639-2

Users who are viewing this thread