Survival: S Boy's Records

Double-page supporter
@yldDavid True enough. Its just they mentioned how they were dealing with feces and urine so I thought it odd. I guess maybe it's cause Akiko isn't the MC....

I tried reading this, I couldn't go on anymore after chapter 25, it's just so stupid. Is this not a survival manga? Why is everyone giving it such a high score? The main character wouldn't be able to survive in a city park, let alone an actual forest. Btw, if anyone knows any good survival manga, please point me to it. My major problems with this manga so far.
1. Where did he get so much thread? Yes, he could get some from the boat that crashed, but the sheer amount he uses demands a source.
2. Where is he getting all the dry wood? It's winter, it's snowing, he doesn't seem to have gathered a supply? I googled it and to completely dry firewood, takes a season to do.
3. How is he intelligent enough to skin and butcher an animal that he's never worked on before, succeed on his first try (I know he has a manual, but there's no way he actually butchered that bear, let's be fair, how did he bleed such a large animal without a rack, there's no way he recovered so much meat without bleeding it. A rabbit, I can understand, not easy, but it's possible for a beginner to successfully skin a rabbit with instructions, not a bear.) yet cannot figure out for the life of him that rats will go to food.
4. Where are the insects? There's a horde of rats, but no mosquitos, no cockroaches, no leeches, no ticks, no roundworms, no fleas, no flies or maggots, etc. You get what I'm saying.
5. His clothes are ridiculously resilient for modern clothing (maybe he's rich), how he's not in rags after a couple of months of living in a forest, boggles the mind.
6. He survived the bear.
7. He hasn't got a single parasitic infection when drinking raw water. I remember my first trip to a foreign country, should've stuck to bottled water.
8. I don't know, it just feels like the author glanced at some survival tv shows, made up some contrived problems, so the MC could solve them with his plot armor. Doesn't feel like the MC is trying to survive anything.

this manga hella bad.. but it literally jumped the shark with the military arc
you have a good original manga to copy from.. how is that so hard??????

Fed-Kun's army
I want to give it a 9,5. It’s not a masterpiece to me but It’s not just great either. Noticeably the narrative was made very cleverly that it doesn’t make me feel like reading from the perspective of someone who’s watching him closely.

@fchiisaia21 thank you for the recommendation. The original is so much betterthat I agree with kypmbangi, how the hell can you make a remake so bad when you have such good source material, god damn, this doesn't even feel like a remake in comparison, it's like some guy tried to make a doujin or something of the original manga, but I can't say that since some doujins are actually good. It's like the spook's apprentice movie, oh my god, I left the theatre 7 minutes after the movie started. Don't be fooled readers, the art has been modernized but so much of the original manga has been cut out that you are looking at what amounts to a beautiful looking paraplegic.

This manga has gone downhill ever since they left the islands, getting off this trainwreck.

@Bonkus72
I still have this open in a tab to continue reading someday but I just cant bring myself to do it.
I stopped not too long after he met the girl ~chap 45. So it only gets worse from here? I kinda felt like it would...

Aggregator gang
I question the mental capabilities of the people who rate high this manga.

This was so fuckign good, a very insanely good 10/10 read, loved it from start to end. Greatly recommend it

Contributor
Just finished it.

I like the original story much better, probably because it's really much more aboit survival, especially after the first arc of the story, because the events are totally different.

And well, i like the old artwork better too.

Having read it all, I liked it well enough. There was definitely some nonsense thrown in, though. Before he got the flotsam as a catch-all excuse for any random supplies he had, the things he made definitely required a supply he would not be able to contain in his backpack, and I seriously doubt even a grown man will be able to carve out a whole cave with rudimentary tools in the span of time he did, while also needing to hunt for things to eat. I'm not even going to get started on the bear and how quickly he picked up animal processing with just photos to go on. Well, it's shounen, so of course it's going to be unrealistic in the name of coolness.

I definitely don't get the military arc. While I'm glad they didn't just go 'ooh, American military, evil', why in the persnickety would these people not save a single 'lonely boy', if they were giving supplies and supporting communities anyway? They literally left him to die, expected him to die, when they had the means AND the motive to save him, but didn't bother because of a technicality?

Anyway, I hear this is a remake? A lot of people are talking trash about it and praising the original. I liked this one, despite it's flaws, so maybe I should find the OG and see what the fuss is about.

Edit: Read the OG Survival. The nostalgia glasses are real with this one.

The story is almost exactly the same up until shortly after Akiko shows up. What changed in the newer version was an improvement. In the original, a boat doesn't appear.
He finds the English survival book and extra materials in a house that was at sunk at least thirty feet below the ocean surface. I can justify the book if I assume the house was a vacation house for mild camping. It is surrounded by forest in the mountains. I cannot justify him not drowning while swimming down 30 feet, ransacking a house (and occasionally dismantling it), and then swimming up 30 feet again, all while holding his breath.

Akiko is also better in the new version, craziness and all.
Her old version was almost...no, it really was offensive. She was far too useless, and completely unapologetic for it.
The only reason given was that 'she's a girl'.

A lot more happens after that point than in this one, but the ending
is roughly the same. He meets a few more friends and enemies along the way, including Shiro, who makes a cameo at the end of this one, has lots of dramatic events, lots of survival nuggets of wisdom, lots of questionable quick-solves with luck as the justification...and yet they both end almost the same exact way.
The only difference is, he knows his father is already dead, having given his life for a bunch of ungrateful, uneducated bafoons with a religion complex and a persecution habit. Pity his son finished the job, saving their arses. He's riding off into the sunset, hopefully about to meet his mom and sister, but just like with this one, we don't get the payoff after watching this poor kid suffer so much.
So, yeah. Not really all that different, in the end.

As far as the art goes, I do like that it's in the older style, for the most part. It's drawn more serious, fitting the theme better. That said, it took ten chapters for me to convince myself that the kid was actually 14. The way he was drawn, he looked like an adult. Everything else did look better, but not the humans.

Final take: They both had good arcs and shit arcs, they both had good art and meh art, they both had good survival tips and totally random fixes that made absolutely no sense. They're both mediocre, but interesting. Read this one if you want a shorter story that goes kinda crap towards the upper-middle, read the older one if you want a longer story that will occasionally make you angry for one reason or another. Neither have proper climaxes, though, and end mutely, which also fits the theme, I guess.

Fed-Kun's army
I know others disagree with me, but this manga got so much better after
they left the island imo.
The first 34 chapters are a total slog, and I barely got through them. There's only so many times you can watch one kid
beat back rats while screaming "DON'T SCREW WITH ME!!"
After 20 or so chapters, I actually jumped ahead a couple dozen to see if the story ever progressed, saw that it finally did, and then sped-read up to chapter 34. The pacing is really absurdly slow until that point, so I would recommend doing this if you're starting to find it tedious.
As of writing this, I'm on chapter 80 and enjoying it much more now, enough to recommend it.

I am waaay late to this party, but damn was this story really good. Honestly I was hoping for more at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread