Tag for machine-translated chapters [Rejected]

Double-page supporter
As proposed here, MTL chapters should have a special tag in the chapter list, akin to the "END" tag added to the final chapter of a series.

That way; since machine translations are shunned by a sizable portion of the MD community; users could choose if they want to read them or not.

Upvote 4
Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
If you have a literal MTL tag, people will use it to blacklist chapters. It doesn't need to be supported officially by us, it'll inevitably happen. Then people will stop using the tag, because they're disadvantaged by doing so, and now you've driven MTL usage underground so people won't admit to using it. It accomplishes nothing except making it harder to tell when MTL is being used.

since machine translations are shunned by a sizable portion of the MD community

It's unfortunately a vocal minority. Bad quality translations, whether MTL or not, are consistently some of the highest viewed chapters on the site. The average reader doesn't care about the quality of the chapter they're reading, only that they can read it. As much as I personally wish people cared more, they don't.

Dex-chan lover
If you have a literal MTL tag, people will use it to blacklist chapters. It doesn't need to be supported officially by us, it'll inevitably happen. Then people will stop using the tag, because they're disadvantaged by doing so, and now you've driven MTL usage underground so people won't admit to using it. It accomplishes nothing except making it harder to tell when MTL is being used.

It's unfortunately a vocal minority. Bad quality translations, whether MTL or not, are consistently some of the highest viewed chapters on the site. The average reader doesn't care about the quality of the chapter they're reading, only that they can read it. As much as I personally wish people cared more, they don't.
^ this, pretty much, as unfortunate as it is. Most people don't give a rat's ass about translation accuracy and quality. Hell, some genuinely believe manga = 95% pictures and the text only helps filling in the gaps.

I just wish the block limit is higher, like 500-1000. I emptied my block quota in a week.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, just increasing the block list would help. I just block groups and people that post poor translations.

Power Uploader
There's too much variety in the quality of translations, machine or otherwise, which would make an MTL tag worthless. Some MTLs are completely transparent. You wouldn't even know it's an MTL if it wasn't specified by the scanlator. Some groups with human translators put out chapters of such horrible quality that they're completely unreadable.

If anything, the skill level of the proofreader is more important than the source of the translation. I'd MUCH rather have a warning tag for "shitty/absent proofreader" than for MTL.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Adding to this, any suggestions that have to do with tagging chapters are rejected pretty much out of hand based on our prior considerations.

The END "tag" isn't chapter-specific, before anyone brings it up as a response. It's set in the manga title and based purely on chapter numbering.

Users who are viewing this thread