Taihou to Stamp

@Ostermann
The Kingdom is France? I though the Kingdom was Great Britain from the names it used. Still, wasn't it mentioned that the advanced equipment of the Republic (bombers in primis) were modified and upgraded with Kingdom's technology?

Group Leader
@Adelkman
The location of the Kingdom is never mentioned, but there were two clues. In the chapter with the computer, theKongdom's electronics merchant treats Kirill and Martina with eclairs. And Kingdom's currency is called Écu, like one of historical French coins. France being a kingdom still means there were no French Revolution and reinforces the notion of a monarchist alliance even further (i bet the Kingdom is ready to explode with monarch beheadings). Or may be the unthinkable happened, and France subjugated the Great Britainand sailed smooth into reforms.
As for the modifiers, ye, you're right, the Kara Mustafa Pasha bomber is a modified Kingdom aircraft. However, as far as I recall that's the only mention

Aggregator gang
From Author's pixiv account: https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=24011424
tgqviRe.png

Group Leader
To whoever changes publication status to 'Complete'. The manga is still ongoing as the latest issue of Moring Two (July of 2019) has a chapter and no ending was announced yet (as far as I know).

Contributor
This is the manga equivalent of Joseph Heller's novel Catch 22.
Great stuff!

"russia that never formed" what the fuck does that even mean. Did they mean USSR that never came about? Even then it's just basic pseudo-alt-history fare.

Group Leader
@blazjon
Apparently, Poland-Lithuania didn't fell in this universe, and Russian principalities never formed unified Rus. Yet still Grand Principality of Moscow managed to gather what it could, hence the Grand Duchy.
The manga is set around the beginning of the 20th century, no USSR yet. But the Reds are lurking.

I read a lot of historical and pseudohistorical with period settings manga but this one really stands out as apart even from others of its genre. The art feels like a hybrid with European comic styles; the writing really is worthy of being compared to Catch-22 and looks at the absurdities of war and military bureaucracy and corruption with a cynicism that is tempered by humor and humanity; and I love the creative mechanical designs which, while in concept tend to be typical of 'delayed WW2' althistory settings where equipment technology improves but due to lack of large-scale battlefield testing designs remain more idiosyncratic and unrefined, are wonderfully realized in the art.

I think this may be my favorite manga.

Group Leader
Guns and Stumps is to end with issue 10/2020 of Morning Two on August 21. Chapter 88 is going to be the last one.

Users who are viewing this thread