Takamori-kun wo Damarasetai!! - Vol. 1 Ch. 2

Double-page supporter
The way she shifted the goalpost from "I want him to hate me" to "I have ti make him confess" was the equivalent of speedrunning a generic romcom in the first 2 chapters. Also massive respect to the FMC for being the one to ask straight up rather than bullshitting around it, progress is progress even if she did run away sadly.

Dex-chan lover
...don't we basically have the same thing happening AT THE END OF THE PREV CH? Will we see this "FESS UP! nvm i'm embarrassed scurry away" at the end of every upcoming chapter??? XD
Just stay in your place and listen to his answer!! ....and then, now what :dogkek:

Dex-chan lover
I like the point of how FMC is not used to praise.

My fiancé and I both got hyper-used to negativity in our teen years. While I can't say I have the straight poker face, she loses braincells whenever I praise her. Rolling with the punches knocks her out lol.

Dex-chan lover
Machine translation doesn't have the heart/emotion that a human one does. However, quite a lot of translations are so poor with such weak prose that they're hardly a step up from MTL so it's kind of funny. So I'm personally in favor of human TL, but only if it's actually done right with passion and soul in it while having correct fundamentals (grammar & prose). Otherwise, there isn't even a difference so w/e

This manga is cute, but I don't feel like the author wants to take this very far. It's already repeated it's patterns a ton of times in just two chapters so it might run out of steam pretty fast.

Dex-chan lover
Translator degree student here. There is definitely room for machine/AI translation in the world, but definitely not where it should matter. If someone wants to read a tweet in a language they don't understand or get at least a vague idea of an article they can't read, machine translation does that for you. It won't give you a great translation, oftentimes not even a good one, but it can at least help you get an idea. It should not, however, be provided as a legitimate and complete replacement for proper human translation.
As for translating manga specifically, I do believe there's room for MTL even here, BUT ONLY provided that whoever's doing the MTL is proficient in at least the receiving language and puts the time and effort into editing the raw MTL. That way, even if the translation is not entirely correct, it can at least sound human and drop the completely blatant errors. Knowing at least a little bit of the original language too is very much desirable, because then you can first try to comprehend the original text, then get the MTL and then use both your first idea and the MTL result to then produce your own text. Because at the end of the day, that's what translating fiction should be: producing text, not simply swapping words and structures in a sterile way. That works when translation legalese but never fiction.
I've translated from languages I know before, and I have also made an "MTL" translation on this site once too. But there isn't actual MTL output in the published chapter. The final text is produced by me after trying to grasp the Japanese words and structures I'm familiar with, then reading the MTL output, then rephrasing the gibberish into something that actually makes sense, then showing it to a native English speaker to make sure it sounds natural (aka proofreading yk).
I very much believe that many of the manga I've read and loved here was made with the help of MTL, but the people working on it were competent enough to actually put in the work to put out a decent chapter. As it stands now, MTL cannot exist on its own. It still needs a human, preferably a proper translator, to edit and polish it.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Wow! 2 chapters in and we got a confession(?) Already???

Thanks so much for the sl!

Dex-chan lover
What the hey... And here I was thinking we'd be building up stuff and reusing moments from the pre-serialization stuff first. 😳

But this... Yeah, this works, too. 🫣

Banned
When i see how many JP to EN translators "localize" and don't properly translate, especially by inserting their political views and what they deem morally correct or incorrect and "fix" the script, i would rather have the option that fans of a medium can take A.I. and translate text themselves.

A good example are the Trails games, where the team translating the games removed sexual topics, gender jokes, problematic opinions of characters etc. So yeah, if especially JP to EN translation wasn't run by literally California, i would be not as much in favor for A.I. translations. But alas that is not the world we live in.

Users who are viewing this thread