Tanbo de Hirotta Onna Kishi, Inaka de Ore no Yome da to Omowareteiru - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - First Meal with the Female Knight

Dex-chan lover
I rice in japan magically different? I often see in manga people saying it's sweet but no matter what type of rice I've eaten, it's never been sweet. Sure it's complex carbs, just like wheat or potatoes (it's starch, lotsa carbs are starch), so if you chewed on it for a while it should turn sweet but... it won't be as soon as you take a bite.
Yes, it is. Saying "rice is rice" is like ignoring the difference between long-grain and short-grain rice, or brown rice versus white rice, or glutinous rice versus sushi rice; you cannot substitute one for the other and expect it to perform the same, because of those intrinsic differences. If you're used to American HFCS-in-everything foodstuffs, likely it doesn't taste that sweet, but it's noticable for a more discerning tongue, or at least one that isn't so sugar-bombed.

I was born and raised in Southeast Asia. I eat rice on a three times a day basis for 20 years, and still don't understand why mangas keep saying that rice is sweet.
And the best part is: my tongue is rather sensitive towards taste compared to people my age around me
See above.

It's not that people expect them not to eat Japanese, it's that they roll their eyes at everyone from isekai worlds acting like Japanese cuisine is the most orgasm-inducing god-tier food in existence. As if anything they would've eaten before had to be unpalatable garbage in comparison.
Not unpalatable garbage, but definitely less spiced and seasoned; consider that most sauces didn't exist until just a couple hundred years ago, and spices were incredibly limited in availability until around the same time period, and even then they were mostly restricted to the tables of nobility simply due to prices; pepper used to be worth its weight in gold or more because of this. Ketchup was closer to garum (fermented fish sauce) than it was to the sugary-sweet tomato confection that is more commonly known today, and obviously also much less widespread due to where tomatoes natively grew. Hell, potatoes were seen as "the devil's fruit" when they were first brought to Europe and shunned, something to give to the poor, for all that we meme about them being so entwined with the Irish due to the eventual transition to reliance on them and the subsequent potato famine that drove out so many in desperation to find a new life elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread