Tanbo de Hirotta Onna Kishi, Inaka de Ore no Yome da to Omowareteiru - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - First Meal with the Female Knight

Dex-chan lover
I like how she has perfect japanese sitting posture, tea cup holding posture, and can use zipper which was invented in the 19th century. The author made no effort.
And she's confused about an expression about being grateful for the food, and surprised that you can get edible grains from a field. She's so extremely Japanese in all ways except the ways the author wants to praise Japan in.

Contributor
Her reaction was pretty much expected since last chapter and I could imagine the readers doing eye rolls while reading this. Unsurprisingly the trope about Japanese food was played straight, and while I'm no fan of it, I'd say it's not as bad as it could've been. Well, as long as the food trope ends here and doesn't become the defining format for later chapters...

Dex-chan lover
So far this is almost identical to the other manga. I'm just hoping the story doesn't go into all the government stuff that the other one did.

Aggregator gang
One little nagging thing I noticed that's not a huge deal, but relates to the silly shitpost meme at the end:

"Jap" is often interpreted as a slur (particularly dating back to world war II). It may be a good idea to avoid using that shorthand.

It's not that people expect them not to eat Japanese, it's that they roll their eyes at everyone from isekai worlds acting like Japanese cuisine is the most orgasm-inducing god-tier food in existence. As if anything they would've eaten before had to be unpalatable garbage in comparison.
I mean food from today and food from 1000 years ago probably a lot different in terms of quality after tons of work. It's less of the dish and probably more of base ingredients quality but who knows maybe I'm talking out of my ass

Dex-chan lover
I rice in japan magically different? I often see in manga people saying it's sweet but no matter what type of rice I've eaten, it's never been sweet. Sure it's complex carbs, just like wheat or potatoes (it's starch, lotsa carbs are starch), so if you chewed on it for a while it should turn sweet but... it won't be as soon as you take a bite.

Dex-chan lover
I was born and raised in Southeast Asia. I eat rice on a three times a day basis for 20 years, and still don't understand why mangas keep saying that rice is sweet.
And the best part is: my tongue is rather sensitive towards taste compared to people my age around me

Dex-chan lover
Oh great another story devolving into prasing japanese cousine for no reason.

Food is a lot about what you're used to, trying new things can be good sure, but how manga expects all these isekai people to every time love japanese food that they have never tasted anything like... It's almost as outrageous as their forever medival but completely 0 trash townscapes.
Oh, look, people are getting mad because a Japanese manga, made by a Japanese artist, is showing Japanese cuisine.

Dex-chan lover
meh Japanese food is great, I don't see any problem with Japanese authors wanting to praise their own country's food lol.

Dex-chan lover
Japan and Korea make good food, but give them SEA food and it'd be better.

Bonus pun there, if you haven't noticed.

ooh that shitpost page made me wince.
this is a fun and cute manga. liking it so far

Users who are viewing this thread