Teasing Master Takagi-san - Vol. 16 Ch. 136 - Vision Contest

Double-page supporter
I cant really get behind that translation decision.

Having < on a vision test is just so jarringly weird

aaaa just copying the TL note
Takagi was pointing at す and き, which is "like"

Takagi confessed Nishikata already smh

Dex-chan lover
Shoooo cute... just shooooo cute...

@Abedeus while she can't see the bottom letters, she probably doesn't need to. Plus, keep in mind that it's probably more blurry than the boards people normally test with and Japanese symbols are more complex than English...

Dex-chan lover
@deathmailrock

Except we can see in the raw that the board had hiragana on it, which is *not* that complicated and quite comparable to latin letters in terms of complexity and visibility. You should be able to distinguish, say, "ki" from "sa" even if they're just one stroke apart.

Dex-chan lover
damn, without that credit page, I wouldn't have understand... would have prefer suki in romaji if it was for smooth reading ^^'

Contributor
maybe something like "l-o" for the first two letters and then pretending she pointed at different ones "v-e"?
so at first he'd have thought that she wanted him to say "l-o-s-e", but...

and @pitpat yes vision tests can have symbols and numbers in them. symbols are usually sort-of Cs rotated in different directions and you have to specify where the "gap" is

EDIT: @TSP good job on that one, for real. but people be people, or we wouldn't need democracy and such.

TSP

Group Leader
@Lynkaster

We have romanized things exactly how they appeared before and instead got people disagreeing with us over leaving it as-is, because it's "lazy" and "ruined their experience", so no matter what we do, we literally cannot please everyone. We do what we think is best by weighing all our options as best as we can, then including an explanation in the credit page precisely so everyone can be happy no matter what decision we go with, since we don't believe in obscuring the kinds of decisions we make for the people who want a more "transcribed" experience.

(edit - missing word)

Double-page supporter
the note at the end was helpful, because i was really confuse what that was...

TSP

Group Leader
@lightingcloud
maybe something like "l-o" for the first two letters and then pretending she pointed at different ones "v-e"?
so at first he'd have thought that she wanted him to say "l-o-s-e", but...
It's very clear that Nishikata is aware that Takagi is making him say something directly related to romance,
so this would be a huge departure from the original to add an additional layer of misunderstanding. Definitely not something we are comfortable with doing!
We considered adding another bubble to show that it was creating "ily" which is understandable enough in English, but not only were we also uncomfortable
with changing the art to that extent, but the way the chapter is set up makes it pretty much impossible to add more letters, or to suggest other letters were added off-screen.

This is definitely one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.

Dex-chan lover
@Abedeus it's also blurry (as stated at the beginning of the chapter) and her sight isn't the best, probably not to the point she needs glasses, but to the point that the little bit of blur and the slightly more complex characters can make a difference.

Several factors combining can make a difference for making it difficult to read, but still allow her to have good enough vision to not need glasses. Her lack of vision is probably minor enough to the point that the slight blurry letters can make it hard to see, but she'd be fine if it wasn't blurry.

Dex-chan lover
It was more confusing to me with the "<" and "3" on an eye exam board and I had to reread the pages to understand what Takagi was trying to say/bait Nishiskata with, and I still didn't until the TL note at the end of the chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread