Teasing Master Takagi-san - Vol. 16 Ch. 136 - Vision Contest

Dex-chan lover
I'd prefer to see original hiragana without any redrawing, with a bunch of side notes for not-yet-weebs. I mean, you double the amount of your work for nothing. To imagine something similar that doesn't sound weird (it sounds tho), then redraw it multiple times across the chapter

TSP

Group Leader
@henman

We don't see it this way, and the people who have lambasted us before for literally translating things have argued the same thing but on the other side of the coin in regards to it ruining their experience.
We weigh our options and do the best we can. You and others may like translation notes directly written onto pages, but the same could be said with as much strength in the reverse for the people who don't like translation notes apart from those at the end of chapters.

Dex-chan lover
*Looks at the <*
me: "ku" in hiragana?
*Looks at the 3*
me: San? Who the f*ck is Ku-san?!

That confused me so much before I read the credit page.

Group Leader
If Takagi can't see the bottom row, then how did she know to point to the "<"? Or is she lying again?

Anyway, I should explain the original hiragana other than the "suki" part which is dead given.
The original line Nishikata try to pull on Takagi is "Your win" originally (which is correct already), which written as "あなたのかち", romanized as "Anatanokachi".
Then, when Nishikata thought about what Takagi try to say, it was "あなたをすき", romanized as "Anatawosuki", which means "I like you" and then "あいしてます", romanized as "Aishitemasu", which means "I love you".
If you noticed, it ended up with 6 syllables with all 3 of the sentences I mention, and none of the sentences have repeated hiragana.
So because of that, Takagi able to exploit the fact that she can repeat the hiragana, which is pointing "すき" or "Suki" twice.

@jesusworegucci
I was pointing out the area where Nishikata try to do against Takagi and what he's thinking. Read my previous comment again to make sense.

Dex-chan lover
@TSP
I thought you did a pretty good job considering a less weeby reader personally, although I did wonder for a minute why "<" and "3" were on the board at all (I initially thought "<" was "ku" and got very confused). Once I read ahead I realised I was overthinking it.

TSP

Group Leader
@gronkle

Yes, it was sort of a question of "which meh translation is the least meh?"
I'm not too surprised a good handful of comments are saying that they didn't understand it, but many of our staff read chapters in advance well before the translator makes a translation note explaining it, and they all come from very different language backgrounds, so we were hoping the fact that none of them were confused was a good sign. Alas, it is what it is, but we appreciate your comment.

Dex-chan lover
@TSP well, yes. That's why you can choose either way. Me personally would always choose the way that requires less work and more "original" content preserved.

@CKT0304

I can't really tell what you're saying, dude, but none of the information you provided was necessary to understand what was going on.
Personally, I think they could've just explained Takagi pointing to the す and the き and that would do it -- And by that, I mean that is all that needed to be explained.

Dex-chan lover
I'm tearing up some tears 'Cause she's mega cuuuute!!
Good Job author san!!

TSP

Group Leader
@henman

Use of time is a subjective issue. Everyone is free to use their time in the way they see fit, and we do a lot of extra things that aren't blatantly obvious (mostly when it comes to redrawing and cleaning) that add a lot of extra time for not that much gain, but we are happy with it, and if you ask me, that's the most important thing.
We disagree that the original content is not preserved, because in every chapter of this nature, we always explain in an after-credit page, so that people who prefer this can still see exactly what we changed.
So yes, it may not be in the chapter, but it's not as though we have entirely removed it.

That's the extent of what I wanted to say, though! I don't expect to change anyone's mind, just express myself for you and for anyone else reading this comment thread.

@jesusworegucci
Well, let's put it this way. Nishikata want to see who get the highest amount of correct letter in 6 attempts, right? So, all of the orginal japanese I written have 6 hiragana with no repeat. The three sentence is as following:
1) A, Na, Ta, No, Ka, Chi (In original, Takagi incorrectly said "Sa" in last letter.) (あなたの勝ち, Your Win)
2) A, Na, Ta, Wo, Su, Ki (あなたを好き, I like you)
3) A, I, Shi, Te, Ma, Su (愛してます, I love you)
The first one is the part where Nishikata try to trick Takagi to say this sequence. The second and third one is the part where Nishikata thought that he can just simply change one hiragana to change the meaning so that he also get one hiragana wrong at least. What he didn't expect is that Takagi repeat the same hiragana twice which is "Su Ki".
Edit: Add original japanese and english meaning.

Users who are viewing this thread