Teisou Gyakuten Sekai no Doutei Henkyou Ryoushu Kishi - Ch. 7 - Precious Things

Dex-chan lover
5 months is a long time... in other words i don't remember shit nothing of this story.

Double-page supporter
I'm usually pretty good with jumping back into stories even after year long hiatuses, but this one lost me. Who the fuck is Caroline? Was she just a name in passing prior? If so, there was a weird amount of emphasis put on her character this chapter. I can't tell what this setup is building towards.

Dex-chan lover
Nice to finally have this back. Thanks for the TL eitherway.

Nice to know the Queen isn’t a cold mother.

Sad we didn’t continue from Valerie’s point of view. Here’s hoping the story updates more frequently.

Neither her mother or big sister has ever done any Noble-worthy jobs for their people (she talks in this chapter)

So, for the "GREATER GOOD?", she planned to kill her big sister and take the Lord tittle (? mean questionable)
And then, the soldiers and knights who "Fake-supporting" her change their minds and Back-stabbing her. (Reason is unknown)
It is mentioned more in the web novel, so obviously spoilers (although these are things that have already happened, but may or may not have been fully covered in the manga adaption. Since so many people seem to be really confused the spoiler deals with the backstory to the "Caroline-arc".

The reason for the nobles 'back-stabbing' is known. Caroline was the younger sister of two. Her older sister was sickly from birth meaning Caroline had to take up her older sister's duties for the sake of their family. Ergo Caroline had to go and serve in the imperial army in her older sisters stead, Caroline had to learn the duties of a baroness in order to take good care of the subjects in their territory, anything an older daughter was expected to learn Caroline had to learn. She essentially had been groomed from birth to become the heiress of their territory, because the older sister was not expected to survive or simply couldn't fulfill her duties (I believe it was mentioned in the novel that the first daughter was bedridden).

So after their mother's death, Caroline launched her 'insurrection' to usurp the title and secure the future of her territory, as well as the future of Caroline's own daughter (knowing full well that her older sister would not be able to take care of the territory properly, nor had the health to have a child and continue the bloodline - this may come back in a future update since Faust and the second princess will find out the reason for all this trouble).

The people she fought against were their family's own retainers, who wished to use the sickly elder sister as a figurehead/front/dummy while they themselves held all the power (so it was a matter of corruption, and the nobility's wish to embezzle funds, that led to the conflict). Caroline lost the struggle for power, and believing her daughter had been killed and that everything was lost she decided to make a run for it with her few surviving troops (the very same who had served with her in the imperial army under her command, women she viewed as family and sisters in arms) to the border of Willendorf (the neighboring country of 'barbarians' that Faust fought in the war, where he killed the enemy commander in a one on one duel). In order to be accepted and not immediately killed she decided they needed to bring offerings in the form of resources and slaves, thus launching the raid on the village (just as you wrote yourself).

What the manga is trying to show, albeit poorly, is that Caroline while she may have acted in a way that was far from ideal has a genuine concern for her own territory and people. She was pushed into making these drastic and poor decisions because of the nobles in her territory betraying their family for the sake of money and power. That's why she is shown to carry one of her own soldiers on her back, and why the soldier is loyal to the point that she would crawl on her arms to the border to support her liege. It also means to showcase that the kingdom/empire while seeming fine at a first glance, may have some serious issues bubbling underneath the surface. Seeing how this is happening in a territory relatively close to the capital and far away from the border issues that Faust's territory has to deal with on the regular (barbarian raids, poor infrastructure for farming and little to no trade to speak of), it shows us that this is something that could easily be happening all over the kingdom/empire, without the royalty having a clue about it.

The part of killing your own family member being morally objectionable isn't really an issue in their world. The queen herself was the third or fourth daughter to the previous queen, and rose to inherit the throne by simply killing all the others. The reasoning being that it is not the strongest daughter, nor the first born who should inherit the title, but rather the one who is good enough to take care of any other opponent to their claim. Essentially you need to have the brawn, the brains and the brutality necessary to inherit - leading to a, hopefully, compentent person in a leadership position.

What surprises me more is that the Queen in the manga seems so concerned with her second daughter's well being, in the web novel it was portrayed rather the opposite (at least to my understanding), that she willfully sent the 'scoundrels' to her second daughters royal guard in order to make succession for the first born much easier and more streamlined - and her getting Faust as a retainer came down to luck/serendipity of being in the right place at the right time. Thus they want to take Faust away from her (since he is competent enough to make the second princess into an actual contender for the throne), not to mention both the Queen and the first princess wants Faust for snu snu, due to his resemblance to the queen's late husband in both build and behaviour (which is the reason the first princess wants him too).

Astarte was also less conniving/scheming, having fully accepted the first princess claims to the throne, and if anything trying to influence her to share Faust between themselves (knowing that Faust would never accept a marriage with the first princess since it would mean his beloved territory would be disappear and be incorporated into the royal family estate). Though I suppose that could be a translator issue, and that the manga is trying to show that Astarte merely dislikes the seconds princess for being weak and for not being as gifted as the first princess or duchess Astarte herself. Granted it was quite some time ago that I read the web novel so might have simply forgotten some parts? :unsure:

Dex-chan lover
Astarte is basically saying she hates any noble who exhibits any kind of mediocrity. This includes Valliere and the 2nd Princess Guard Knights. I think she's happy that she gets the opportunity to expose this mediocrity to everyone, Faust especially.

Caroline does not have any connection to the village she raided and it's one of the reasons the Queen says that the royal family's honor is at stake. It's a village directly owned by them.

In a departure from the WN they've changed Caroline a bit. They've kept her backstory that she's been doing the Noble duties expected of her sister in place of her, but changed her to a more traditional Noble Knight (on a horse in plate armor holding a halberd). This was probably done to play more into Astarte's ideas of nobility and mediocrity. It was more subtle in the WN with her isolated in a carriage. It's also probably a choice they made in preparation of a coming chapter. At this rate I'd say it's 3 chapters from now? Unless they really extend some of these upcoming scenes.

I think the writers are still playing around with the idea of Noblesse Oblige at this point. It especially seems so with all the different displays of Nobility between Caroline, Zabine, Valliere, and Anastasia.

Dex-chan lover
Holy shit, that's kinda messed up. I'm curious with the continuation.
To clarify a bit, since the WN has finished this chapter of the story quite clearly.

Caroline was the second daughter of the territory. She worked hard at her job, and in place of her sister and mother she did the "Frontier Lord's Duty" which is to serve as a military force in exterminating bandits or as border patrol. Before her Mother died it was basically the families expectation that Caroline would become the new Lord of her territory, but it instead went to her older sister.

Caroline was a popular figure, and to her knowledge had most of the vassals support, and expected a quick and relatively painless victory to win the succession by violence. So she attacked her home and was repelled by her family's guards. And since neither side actually killed the other sister, the situation spilled out and affected territories controlled by the Royal House.
They've forced bandits to join up and pillaged the Queen's personal territories, grab loot in an attempt to win favor in Willendorf.
Her Daughter was being hidden away by a Priest, and she believes was killed. She initially started her succession war for her Daughter, believing that Martina may be killed or otherwise harmed by her sister so their wouldn't be a future succession crisis.

I'll leave it at this for now, since the entire circus act should take a couple of more chapters to resolve, and a bit more of the situation will be explained.

Dex-chan lover
im i tripping?? or is this a re-upload? I remember reading this before, i dont know about the TL quality but, didnt the group allredy was ahead of this chapter? I remember reading Faust and the Princess going ahead trying to catch up with the enemy and even catching up to them in the middle of a field.
what is happening

Dex-chan lover
While the translation does seem a bit wonky, thank you very much to the TL for continuing the story.

Dex-chan lover
Been a while so I can't remember what's going on, but its still pretty good. Thanks for the chap

Dex-chan lover
It seems like the translator tried to give it a different vibe than how it was before, can't say if is on purpose or the raw text did change like that.
Anyway, Caroline was depicted as a villain in the previous chapters, when in this she was betrayed, but is hard to say from so little if she is recounting the events right or from her own biased opinion.
I think she is actually innocent from the story about her own daughter and working as a lord to be unlike her mother and sister, but having to escape the betrayal she had to resort to assaulting to make her people survive, is a ugly turn of events.

Users who are viewing this thread