Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken - Vol. 13 Ch. 60 - Prerequisite of Hope

Contributor
@Pokari their job, the job that they chose, is to kill though. Plus, they are going to war, where you go to kill or be killed. Even when you are just taking orders, you have a degree of responsibility.

Double-page supporter
@jokerxhisoka That an individual soldier has a (moral) responsibility in addition to his orders is a pretty new (and European) way of thinking. For most of mankind's history you had to shut up and do what your superior told you to do. If you didn't do it, and you weren't protected by "everybody else did it, too" (mostly in the case of pillaging) you were running the gauntlet.
Not only that: What today is considered a war crime, such as raping and pillaging (which is still allowed in naval warfare) were everyday occurrence in the past. Just look at the thirty years war and how it devastated central Europe precisely because bellum se ipsum alet.

I think a conversation from Schillers "Wallenstein" describes it well:
Illo: So what! It was a good year, the peasant is able to give again!
Questenberg: Yes, if you are talking about herds and pasture grounds, field marshal Sir!
Isolani: The war nourishes the war. Peasants die, ah! This way the Emperor gains more soldiers.
Questenberg: And loses so many of his subjects!
Isolani: Pah! We all are his subjects!

Contributor
@jokerxhisoka:

In short: You seem awfully certain that the country in question doesn't have mandatory conscription.

At length: Heck, even in the rare, full-time-professional armies like modern-America's where people did all choose to sign up, for a lot of people it's a calculated move of economic necessity, wherein you hope that the mostly-peacetime army you're in stays that way 'till you get out.

Even if that weren't true, your reasoning (they are soldiers, so it's fine to just kill them all) is childish, the sort of mindless drivel that has no place outside of indoctrination and propaganda. There's really no moral excuse at all for slaughtering an army that you didn't have to. And while there's a lot of leeway there, "They would have killed us if they had the chance, which they didn't," is not one of the justifications for wholesale slaughter that we generally accept. Thus, for instance, when the enemy surrenders, you're supposed to stop.

I mean—you could argue that it's a revenge-killing, and then you'll have to deal with some other branches of ethical reasoning, but that's not the argument you were making. Alternatively (and also not the argument you were making) as an unholy sacrifice to resurrect your friends, it's at something we can empathize with (but still by almost any moral or ethical standard I can think of, nonetheless a big "no-no").

But implying, "a soldier's life is worth nothing, because they choose to kill and die" is, while a pretty good line for a gritty war-drama, just absolute shit ethics.

@Ratentaisou thank you, didn't Tempest make friendly to a kingdom, and whose attacking tempest? everyone in the surrounding kingdoms except the one guy they made friends with?

3.14% chance of revival with souls and Rimuru is like fuck it, let's kill all the conscripts and totally wreck our diplomatic standing with all human factions.

Is he really that bad at math? This is kinda the reason why absolutist states are kinda garbage, if he discussed his objectives with the council it would have been obvious that this is 3% is statistically in the margin of error and not really a valid option.

"The risk I took was calculated, but man, I am bad at math."

RIMURU NO. It would be very sad if it didn't work out in the end. Killing ten thousand humans, and his subordinates never coming back.

It's funny seeing the morality argument in the comments. The king is planning to wipe out the monsters for his own gain and the church is doing it because god said so....regardless That army plans to kill his people if he doesn't do the same. A basic fact of life is kill or be killed. Rimuru just gets the added benefit of maybe bringing best girl and innocent children back to life for doing what he would have to do in order to protect his people.

Dex-chan lover
@smaugTD They're an invading army from just one or two nations, no? Then it isn't out of place to kill them all. It is fair if anything.

Oh
This is more interesting than I expected it to be
I thought they were going to be revived with no consequence at all

Dex-chan lover
I can feel the emotion... Humans are really disgusting, even tho im a human too I can't denied that I'm one of them.

Bukkorosu, Rimuru! Tho theres a good chance nothing will happen, more monsters will die, and Rimuru will still not kill any humans cuz sense of justice gae

Users who are viewing this thread