The Ancient Magus' Bride - Ch. 96

Dex-chan lover
is the translation by AI and re-check + edited by someone that bad though? asking for someone that able to read it in the original language (jp)

because you know, while i appreciate fan translation for doing it for free, i'd like to support the author as well being letting the site have more read count, i adore this series from when it first came out and even now

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if this title was chosen because Seven Seas' editors/translators were caught changing things in certain licensed materials. Sort of a shot across the bows.

As for the chapter, even more characters introduced with what seems to be more plot elements.

Dex-chan lover
Huh, it's surprisingly pretty good for an MTL. I guess that's the power of human ED and PR for you. Though I'm not sure why they don't take another step forward and just hire a TL as well.

I forgot his name, but is the one behind the investigator the priest that was sent to spy on Elias? If so, does this mean that girl is part of the Church? Or is she from this series' version of "Department of Policies of the Clock Tower"?

It's been a while since we see another Mage. This will be interesting.

Double-page supporter
I wonder if this title was chosen because Seven Seas' editors/translators were caught changing things in certain licensed materials. Sort of a shot across the bows.

As for the chapter, even more characters introduced with what seems to be more plot elements.
It was chosen cos it's cheap as fuck and the publishers would vastly prefer to have MTL everywhere because of the convenience.

Dex-chan lover
I'm super happy for the manga resuming, this series is one of my all-time favorites, easily top 5. Doing it right after the 2nd season of the anime ended was awesome too.

The MTL thing really sours it though. Man, they really picked THIS series to do this shit with, one where the dialogue actually matters a lot, and the nuance of what the characters say actually matters.

Also, the justifications that it's to combat piracy are obvious bullshit, since their release is gonna get pirated anyway, not to mention, who the FUCK is gonna buy a volume that they know was MTL'd on the cheap?

Skimming through it, the translation doesn't sound too bad, meaning some guy had to edit this a LOT. It's not even significantly less work than just having a normal simulpub.

I hope the fan translations continue, I'd like to read this as translated by a human.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
If you want to read the chapter as soon as possible, then the simulpub is the fastest way. I still plan to upload at a later date, Christmas in this case.
About the actual chapter though, I'm enjoying the start of the arc. And I'm curious to learn more about the new mage.

Dex-chan lover
The thing about "piracy" hurting the industry is pure BULLSHIT, for starters there wouldn't even be a western "official industry" for that if it wasn't fan-made translations, and now they are using it to justify and use AI to do translations... that is despicable.

I don't think I am owed to read this for free, I admit that I don't pay for the work put into this, but I will not accept them using this as an excuse to use AI.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
If you want to read the chapter as soon as possible, then the simulpub is the fastest way. I still plan to upload at a later date, Christmas in this case.
About the actual chapter though, I'm enjoying the start of the arc. And I'm curious to learn more about the new mage.
I deeply appreciate your work, I should have heard my instincts and waited for your version.

From now on I will wait for your version, I am patient, I have no need to give these corporations the justification to keep this stupidity.

Dex-chan lover
is the translation by AI and re-check + edited by someone that bad though? asking for someone that able to read it in the original language (jp)

because you know, while i appreciate fan translation for doing it for free, i'd like to support the author as well being letting the site have more read count, i adore this series from when it first came out and even now

Haven't read the chapter so this isn't about how this one turns out:

AI + edited by someone else is pretty much MTL worded differently.
It might be a step above just shoving things into google translate but the key issue that the machine side has flaws + the editing side doesn't know any better to fix it either would still be there.
Because if the editor understand the language, why not just have them translate to begin with and skip the AI.

So even if you take 'support the author' excuse as true, on the opposite side it kills actual professional translator if companies just resort to low effort 'MTL'

Dex-chan lover
Haven't read the chapter so this isn't about how this one turns out:

AI + edited by someone else is pretty much MTL worded differently.
It might be a step above just shoving things into google translate but the key issue that the machine side has flaws + the editing side doesn't know any better to fix it either would still be there.
Because if the editor understand the language, why not just have them translate to begin with and skip the AI.

So even if you take 'support the author' excuse as true, on the opposite side it kills actual professional translator if companies just resort to low effort 'MTL'
I mean, fair points on everything you pointed out

I honestly think rather than it's just being MTL worded differently, i thought it would just lessen the translator works a bit earlier, but with the way you say it, it absolutely make sense

And no, i'm not saying professional translator shouldn't be appreciated, i know how much works they need to do especially since i do know what kind of hell translator when through when they worked on project like for example, Trails in the Sky, that i even read every single interview about the EN translator doing their job on the game

additionally, me saying that i want to support the author, isn't an excuse, i read a lot and i can't exactly buy every single manga i read with budgets that i have, and in my place, it's even hard to get a physical copy, sometimes even it does exist, it's too expensive because its imported, so i just want to support every author whose story i read in ways i can

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I'd be interested in seeing an objective pro/con analysis of the Mantra-assisted version. The claim on the Mantra press release with their partnership with Shueisha is that the error rate is ~1.6% (https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000015.000059295.html). Does that hold up on inspection?

Because if it does, even within a ballpark, that means that:
1) instead of paying a translator hundreds of dollars (or equivalent in JPY) for a translation that may take hours, they can pay pennies for one done with 98%+ accuracy in thirty seconds
2) potentially more time spent on ED/PR, but only a 1.6% (-ish) increase, so the savings from (1) should still vastly outweigh any increased ED/PR costs
3) Savings per title = more titles(?) (yeah...not gonna touch that discussion)

Because all I hear in the complaints here is an allergy to AI without any, you know, facts to back up that feeling. If there are objective analyses showing that Mantra is demonstrably worse that other readily available options, go ahead and spill the tea please :thonk:

Users who are viewing this thread