The Antagonist's Pet

Having read up to chapter 21 in Chinese I can spoil a bit (tastefully and with spoiler tags, of course) for anybody curious. I'm not sure how many chapters there are currently-- Chinese translation is up to 21, so that's as far as I know.

The shipping question
Frankly, if you think that this story is primarily a romance then you're wrong. As of Ch. 21, not much has happened romantically and it's still not 100% clear which of the two is being paired with Sasha. Green-hair would be my safe bet, but there are strong undertones overtones of Sasha x Rebecca. I came into this really wanting the yuri, but honestly the story that builds up on its own is enough to keep me around.

Where is this story actually going?
A decent portion of the 21 chapters is dedicated to Sasha trying to make sure shit doesn't hit the fan for Rebecca, who becomes an independent, sword-wielding badass who heavily dotes on Sasha.
I would say Sasha does three main things:
- Meets the protagonist of the novel, who is acting differently from expected and maybe kinda-sorta is
a fellow isekai'd. It's played off as not-clear what's actually going on here but the Ch. 21 climax is that things are about to be revealed.
- Meet and bring into Rebecca's fold an important character from the original novel: a kid-looking dragon character that is apathetic about humanity at best, but who is apparently critical because in the OG novel he basically saved the entire country for the sake of the original protagonist. Honestly this part isn't particularly compelling to me, but it isn't terrible either because the other two parts of the story float it along.
- Has a ton of anxiety over her position in life. It is revealed that being the noble's pet is actually an intensely stressful job. Not only is Sasha treated like a pet on the regular, she also serves as the chosen outlet of negative emotions for an entire class of people who have been raised from birth to suppress those emotions until they burst. Sasha also regularly agonizes over how to solve issues she foresees coming for her and Rebecca in the future. The mangaka actually portrays Sasha's anxiety really well and in a way I'm not sure I can do full justice.

Is the story actually worth it?
If you're here only for yuri or romance in general, no. That doesn't actually happen much here. If you're down for a story about somebody who is the "nobleman's pet" and who is thrust into all kinds of intrigue over the changing world of the novel and how to defend her beloved villainess, then this will be satisfying. Sasha is a surprisingly deep character and honestly carries this manga.

Supporter
@ma_zedong Thanks for the spoiler ^^. I read the Korean raw using Google translate and a lot of stuff later on doesn't make any sense for me because well... Google translate....

Unfortunately I think this is already dropped by the scanlators and if by this time no one steps in to continue it then very low chance it will continue to be translated to English :(

To any of you that want to read to chapter 14 check batoto
https://bato.to/series/77065

god i really hope sasha ends up with rebecca bc they love each other so much.....

ma_zedong
Your safe bet is completely right.
Don't look at it if you mind far in spoilers.
Sasha and green hair even have a child apparently.

http://www.mangago.me/read-manga/the_pet_of_the_villainess/?qK93

Uhh
Hopes this helps?
Rn it’s up to 30 chapters

i hope a group will pick up uploading the translations here!! i read up to the current chapters and its so cute ;_; subscribing in hopes of seeing a notification in my inbox someday...

Group Leader
It is being uploaded on mangago in case anyone wants to read the recent updates.

Reading on mangago but this is SO GOOD! I tend to be very critical on whether mangas/manhwas are well written or not and this has EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS! The MC is such an interesting character, a bubbly and bright suck up. Usually characters like these in manga are seen as annoying and two faced, but there’s so much depth and backstory to this MC that I really can’t help but root for her. I seriously applaud the author because these types of difficult characters can very easily become irritating with bad or even average writing. 10/10 amazing story.

I know yuri is not one of the tags, but it definitely feels like that would be the best pairing.

Rebecca
even feels bad because she would've been the head of her house if she had been born as a man. Would be able to train swordsmanship since young without anyone judging her, and could be with Sasha (She hits a wall when she thinks about this part)

It just sucks that she won't end up with her.

Sometimes stories evolve beyond what the authors originally planned, and it should be okay to change the ending.

Users who are viewing this thread