The Apothecary Diaries - Vol. 6 Ch. 29.2 - Syphilis (Part 2)

@AgentKuga my guess he did something horrible to her mother and her. as to what that something is we'll just have to wait and see. based on the fact that her mother is not in the picture, i'm guessing he did something that caused the mother either to kill herself or somehow ended up killing the mother himself.

Nep

Dex-chan lover
"I don't want to see it ever again."

What a coincidence. Me too. 10x scarier than any horror movie 🤣

@AgentKuga
Rakan is Mao Mao's blood father. He basically had sex with her mother with a promise of coming back and then disappeared for years until her mother died. As her mother is a courtesan, her price was lowered to the point that she had no business so she abused Mao Mao (can't remember if she was saved from the abuse)
What Mao Mao doesn't know or care is that Rakan was literally barred from coming back because of standard "don't go near courtesans" family issues. It doesn't help that Rakan is a literal piece of shit as person (not entirely his fault since he has Prosopagnosia, or face blindness. He can only recognize the faces of 2-3 people in the entire story which is Mao Mao, her mother and maybe Mao Mao's adopted father. Others, he see as chinese chess pieces with their ranks.)

Fed-Kun's army
@AgentKuga ok you know how Jinshi was saying Rakan admitted that Mao was his daughter and how he was willing to buy her? Now that you know that, I bet she knows that too, and that Rakan did something familiy-wise that made her hate him reallly hard.

@AgentKuga Maomao hates Rakan because Maomao's reply to Jinshi about how to lower the price of a courtesan were Rakan's own actions. I think it's natural to hate your dad if he pulled that kind of thing. Plus a little more but I'm not too clear on what happened between Rakan and the mother yet.

Reason why Rakan wants to talk to Maomao is to try and take her back. More specifically, the reason he's so hyper-focused on Maomao,
Because Rakan sees everyone as either shogi or go pieces, he can't see their actual faces. The only faces he can see are the mother and Maomao's. It's why he's so attached to them.

@AgentKuga

The courtesan with Syphilis in the previous chapter is Maomao's mother. Rakan deflowered her in order to ruin her price. However the consequences were harsh and nearly ruined Rokushoukan (The brothel Maomao's affiliated with). Maomao's mother had to essentially become a $5 prostitute when she used to be a high end courtesan sought after for her shougi and go skills.

"I don't want to see it ever again."
Not gonna lie, it is horror if you want

Thank you so much for the chapter

Fed-Kun's army
I love it when a usual beautiful character have a borderline horor-movie expression. Show you the severity of situation.

It's a bit difficult to tell but is that expression one of fear or anger/disgust? Or a mix of both..?

Double-page supporter
Yeah so uh, the last person you want to anger is one who is knowledgeable about poisons and other remedies.
It's almost like asking to be killed without knowing the source.

Dex-chan lover
@Rhodolite

You sure? It's been a while since I read that WN chapter but the impression I got from it was that
Mao's mom seduced him, and afterwards before news of her pregnancy got out Rakan was sent away by his family. By the time he returned and found out what happened Mao's mom had already died. He cleaned up his family and took over the family head position as revenge for keeping the news from him.

Dex-chan lover
Someone please correct me if I am wrong

-rakan wanted to fuck maomao's mom
-rakan said he did something to lower her mom's value so he wouldn't be paying a fortune
-that something is having her raped or getting her an std?
-he fucks maomao's mom
-maomao is born, her mom has syphilis

and so maomao obviously hates him

i swear i gotta reread the entire manga every time a chapter comes out to understand what's going on

Dex-chan lover
@Liedral
There were several major changes between the WN and LN, those changes and more are probably present in this adaptation

Users who are viewing this thread