The Apothecary Diaries - Vol. 6 Ch. 32 - The Medium Ritual Master

Fed-Kun's army
I am in defense of the guard in all of this. He was performing his duty and doing it perfectly. It seems many of you don't understand how the world works at all and think running up and barking orders and theories at a guard will work like the movies were they will just step aside and do whatever you say.

Reactions: le3
Dex-chan lover
Guard guarding what needed guarding is fine.
Slamming a defenseless young girl in the face with a wooden rod while guarding a supposedly royal court sacred ceremony while guests are looking is a no no.

Dex-chan lover
@MistLynx
when people are saying "that guard is dead" they're referring to the fact that Rakan saw the guard hitting his daughter and Jinshi's probably going to find out about it in no time.

I don't think either of them will care that he was doing his job properly.

I thought maybe it was the court girl who was supposed to be standing there at the ceremony. It didn't even occur to me it could be jinshu!
This manga never disappoints!

@MistLynx while I agree that he's right in not allowing her pass, the main problem is how he hit her. he could just simply shoved her (she's a little girl and he's a trained guard, a simple push would have sent her flying anyway) and she wouldn't be able to do anything. What he did was almost kill the girl in front of the place that holds medium/high ceremonies. I don't have knowledge on how things worked in that culture at that time, but I don't think beating a girl to death would have helped the guard.

Dex-chan lover
@stainx
Talk shit, get shit. Mao perfectly knew what she was doing.
You can say "He should've have been the bigger person" but this is ancient not-China. Insulting someone's honor like that, specially if you're from a lower class, is the real massive no-no.

Reactions: le3
Dex-chan lover
Also, the fact that maomao said the fuckin guard may be in the scheme, don't know how true it is, but knowing her it may be

Dex-chan lover
Noooo; I never thought she'd ever get injured like that ;A; It hurts seeing her like that o.o

Oh my god
This chapter shook up things a lot
I'm expecting it's that court lady who looks like a dude is the one behind this (idek)
And omg, jinshi... And maomao
Maybe now she'll finally realize that he's a noble and not a eunuch lmao

Double-page supporter
thx for the translation
and now despair, as we wait another month for this great detective story to continue

Dex-chan lover
@stainx @Algoz and other peeps, Maomao -wanted- the guard to hit her, she was hoping the commotion would start a scene and stop the ceremony or at least delay it a little.

@MistLynx the guard is 'dead' because he -did- do his job but was 'wrong'. Jinshi and the old dude are going to be -super- pissed. Also while it was unofficial, Maomao was technically requested to investigate these cases as well, so she was doing her job too. It would be very very easy for either of the guys to say the guard interfered with the investigation, and nearly cost Jinshi his life, and assaulted Jinshi's maid. Both of which are heavily punishable things, because of Jinshi's rank.

Pretty much the guard is likely dead because he couldn't read the situation and adapt. He didn't have to let her in, but he actually should've tried to call for a stop to the ceremony until things could be sorted out, since she said a life was in danger. After all he could ID her as a maid, so there's the possibility someone sent her ahead to try and stop things while they tried to catch up since they might be older and slower.

Edit: Also remember this is "Imperial not exactly China" where peopel are punished -very- easily. It's the reason why MaoMao doesn't tell people her 'hunches' and only tells people things that can be proven without a doubt. Cause they will severely punish someone just on suspicion.

what chapter is the manga now compared to the novel?

i want to start reading the novel but i want to start in this chapter.

Nep

Dex-chan lover
Reread this three times and the most amazing part of this is that MaoMao did it all these heroics for gallstones 🤣

And yes. That guard is dead. He just made two of the "Top 3 people you must never offend." mark him for extermination. Jinshi be damned. Rakan WILL skin him alive.

@WillLi very good observation. Unfortunately, the guard is doomed the moment he took the job of... well... standing guard in the middle of that structure. If he interrupted the event, someone (culprit) would say he didn't do his job and probably end him. He hit MaoMao, the two crazies will end him. If he is IN on the plot... he is double dead. Honestly, he is probably the most pitiful person in this entire chapter.

@ShimizuA MaoMao's mother is alive. That's different enough.

Group Leader
I never remember this part from the WN. I guess this the point when LN becomes different?

Users who are viewing this thread