The Archmage Returns After 4000 Years

Ahahahahahahaha im MAGIC MISSILE! 😂, god this is actually good! and not to mention funny so far!

Double-page supporter
An enjoyable manhwa, but i don't understand why the author used that redhead Sakura for the support role instead of, you know, a decent character with a personality

I dont like that Frey
just died and his body got taken over by someone who can do it all anyway
. That is so lame. I wish it were two souls in one body or Frey been taught and achieving things with his own hard work. Meeeeeh.

Fed-Kun's army
@Vicic

A lot of the personality for Isabel is leeched out in the translation. For example, she refers to herself in the third person as 소녀 often but the translation just skims right over that and tells you that she speaks formally. She also calls Frey 귀하 often, but that's just translated as "you" which is the most generic translation you can have.

소녀 for example is "maiden" in this context. It has a Japanese equivalent for the sake of familiarity since many of us here have heard it: "shoujo." In fact, 소녀 (so'nyuh) and shoujo are written using the same Chinese characters: "少女." It's a title that deliberates lowers herself while she raises Frey with 귀하 (gyhi'hah) which is "honored self." I have no idea why the manhwa says she talks in military jingo because how she talks is in no way how anyone in the military talks, except maybe (maaaaaaybe) they sometimes have a way of talking in the third person in the period dramas, like "This maiden solider requests your honored self's permission to engage the enemy."

Anyway, from how she talks and how the author framed it, we can impute that she comes from a highly regimented, strict family with a strong military involvement and she sees herself as a junior in how she deals with others. Thing is, the author isn't terribly consistent with how he handles this character. If he sees a chance to break character for a cheap joke, he takes it 9 times out of 10. So any flaws you see in Isabel is directly attributable to the author and the story as a whole.

Double-page supporter
@ThePaulBunyanTrophy nice breakdown

I also believe that the artist has some fault. Overall the art in this manga is very good, but they way she portraited Isabelle, in her look, manner and expression, doesn't give the impression of someone "from a strict family with a strong military involvement" but rather, the one of an average airhead schoolgirl. So instead of creating the gap moe when she is acting "out of character", the reader just believe that she is an idiot.

I hope that thing will improve from now on, at least on the scanlator side since they don't have to rush anymore

too bad that I already saw some plothole and missing detail in the art on the next chapter -_-"

LN translation: https://www.wattpad.com/story/223474490-the-great-mage-returns-after-4000-years

Ruthless MC. Cultivation. 9 stages. Are you sure this is not a Chinese cultivation manhwa?

its a pretty okay manhwa if they got rid of issabelle, tbh she is just a stupid rich girl which is rather than entertaining she is more like a no-personality, common, unlikeable character.
at this point im not sure whether if i will continue reading this, ugh.

well, despite all of that, thanks for the scanlations!

I dislike Isabelle.
Rather she just get gone and the teacher come in lol.

Either way, I love the art, and now Redice is officially my fav artist / studio or whatever

Users who are viewing this thread