The Conqueror From a Dying Kingdom - Vol. 2 Ch. 10 - Floating Pox Disease

Fed-Kun's army
it is the same world, geographically.
But if you are asking what says that isn't biologically, then that would be their ears.
It's implied that this is the far future of the real world. He'll probably be going with the "genetically enhanced humans that were subservient replaced us" trope.

Dex-chan lover
Damn, just brushed off the introduction of vaccines just like that huh? One of the most important turning points in modern medicine just got a literal half-chapter with no effects to the story beyond preventing the disease, not an award or commendation or anything, not even an acknowledgment from anyone beyond his father.
I ended up wondering "didn't using cowpox like that require semi-frequent re-inoculations? much like covid boosters, but measured in years?"
quick search does suggest that "variolation" with cowpox did indeed have to get repeated. I wonder how mc handled introducing that idea to them all.

Dex-chan lover
It's implied that this is the far future of the real world. He'll probably be going with the "genetically enhanced humans that were subservient replaced us" trope.
it is? I was under the impression it was just an AU type of deal.

Fed-Kun's army
it is? I was under the impression it was just an AU type of deal.
It's the most common pattern for devolved society (compared to the vast technology from the Shantila empire). The fact that they mentioned that empire very close to the fact that it's earth also serves as an indicator. Their inhabitants also remind me of those from utawarerumono and star ocean.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Ikr? But isn't there some sort of reward for curing a "deadly" disease? Usually that's why they go to the capital
sigh... Vaccines do not cure a disease, nor do they prevent you from being infected by that disease.
All they do is prime your immune system, so that when you do get infected with the Real Deal™ you'll only have minor symptoms.

Unless, of course, you are : one of the Unlucky Ones who happen to have an allergic reaction to any of the possible antigens in a virus ( about 0.01% of any given population), have a weakened immune system ( this includes it being busy fighting off something else already, or even simply Old Age..), you regularly work in an environment with extemely high virus particles ( like that church...).

Note that this means that if you are vaccinated, you can still get infected and carry the virus around, at least for a while.
Which is why vaccination programmes need to be comprehensive and consistent to have any serious effect.

Medical Science 101. Unfortunately most people only ever learn/remember the version Told to Stupid Farmers.
Which created the Myths of "curing" and "eradicating" viral diseases. And a real wonky idea of what immunity actually is, and it's actual limitations.

At least the author did do his Homework, and got the basics right for a change.

Dex-chan lover
So we now enter the 'school arc' of the story.
Can't wait to meet the friendly (simp) characters and the overly confident and arrogant ones too.
Thanks for the chapter!

This manga is blazing through the LN, but we are approaching some of the best parts of this story.

Dex-chan lover
That would really be the most terrifying possible thing, honestly; being in a medieval setting and seeing smallpox? Ypud jave to be ignorant (of how bad the disease is, not in general), or a complete idiot to not be figuratively shitting your pants... or even literally...

No idea if you're infected for weeks, and just hoping like pissin in the Wind that you're not next in line for a 30% mortality in a pre-exposed population...

Smallpox nearly ended humanity, at one point; I'd be terrified.

mangas too centered around cliche muh realism, i was rlly hoping this slow story could take off eventually

Users who are viewing this thread