The Dangers in My Heart - Vol. 10 Ch. 133 - I'm Stuck in the Middle

Double-page supporter
Moeko is just as jealous of Yamada so it's not one-sided. Moeko acts in a way that would make anyone jealous. She literally flirts with Yamada's boyfriend and then complains that Yamada doesn't like that. That's just dumb, isn't it? I also can't remember when did Moeko help them get together when Yamada was present? What I remember though is that Moeko often times acts in a way that would make Yamada jealous, it started with the line ID exchange, then the valentines chapter at Yamada's place where Moeko pretended to be Ichi's gf and Yamada was so upset that even Nyaa had to interfere, by that point she should have known better and stop but she doesn't seem to care if it upsets Yamada. Even in this chapter she flirts with Ichi. Yamada's compliment wasn't halfhearted either, she genuinely means it but Moeko shuts her down and acts like Yamada didn't offer her help at all but she did.

Aggregator gang
So did I get this right?
Moeko complains that Yamada doesn't leave them alone to study and that she should have gone with Nyaa and Chii shopping. She thinks that Yamada didn't go because she's spoiled. The actual reason why Yamada didn't go was because she's jealous and doesn't want to leave Moeko with Ichi alone. The question is why is Yamada jealous? The way Moeko talks with ichi is very flirtatious, in chapter 131 she flirted with Ichi right in front of Yamada and is generally eager to find a boyfriend. Even in this chapter she flirted with him on the couch. Even before all that Yamada didn't like how close Moeko often would get with Ichi, it started with the LINE ID exchange and then there was that time when Moeko pretended to be Ichi's girlfriend, she learned about his highschool choice before Yamada did etc. My point is that Yamada's jealousy is quite understandable and Moeko's behavior is not acceptable. She thinks that just because Yamada is cute and pretty there's no way that she might be jealous of someone like Moe which really shows how little Moe understands Yamada.

Dex-chan lover
I'm confused...However I'd be also mad at Yamada if I was Moeko, but not for the same reason (whatever it may be) because WHY is she bothering them when they're studying?? the whole point of this retreat is for Moeko and Kyoutaro TO STUDY, not for the others to have fun or for Yamada to keep an eye on everything they do and bother them :aquadrink:

Edit:
So I've re-read the previous chapters and now I know that what Yamada is feeling rn in this chapter has been building up since chapter 122 (or it has become more apparent since then). I'd say it was Kyoutaro's fault for not talking directly to Yamada and for using Moeko to convey to Yamada how he felt at that moment. She has noticed that Moe and Kyou have a complicity (studies) that she doesn't have and as an overly conscious and jealous girl, she felt threatened.

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
I'm confused...However I'd be also mad at Yamada if I was Moeko, but not for the same reason (whatever it may be) because WHY is she bothering them when they're studying?? the whole point of this retreat is for Moeko and Kyoutaro TO STUDY, not for the others to have fun or for Yamada to keep an eye on everything they do and bother them :aquadrink:
she's having an eye on her because she keeps flirting with Ichikawa despite knowing that Yamada and Ichikawa are dating. See chapter 131 and this chapter for example.

Dex-chan lover
I actually thought that part was Moe being shitty, even if it was quite understandable that she was really annoyed, it's not like Yamada cries on purpose, people handle stress and argument in different ways and stuff "your crying makes me look like bad guy", while kinda true is basically denying the other person their own emotions, and feels too close to what abusers often say to their victim after argument.
This is hitting quite close to home. The crying thing is absolutely, as you say, and involuntary reflex that people have. My wife is very frustrated about being that way because whenever it happens I back up immediately even though she's fine and it's just a thing that happens. We've worked out a system of when we should keep going and when it's time to stop. In essence, what I assume is that at some point during the developmental years an experience was resolved by crying and it cemented itself as a functional thing to resolve these situations. Now the problem is that this is, as I said, involuntary and you sort of have to break the cycle by cementing that this isn't a valid reaction anymore. Sorry for the ramble, just thought this insight might help.
IN SHORT: while I agree that Yamadas reaction in this chapter was genuine and not involuntary I'm saying that this can be a thing that could require work.

Double-page supporter
Edit:
So I've re-read the previous chapters and now I know that what Yamada is feeling rn in this chapter has been building up since chapter 122 (or it has become more apparent since then). I'd say it was Kyoutaro's fault for not talking directly to Yamada and for using Moeko to convey to Yamada how he felt at that moment. She has noticed that Moe and Kyou have a complicity (studies) that she doesn't have and as an overly conscious and jealous girl, she felt threatened.
Yup. She asked him in 121 about his choice and he hesitated, and then she had to hear him tell her friend. It makes it seem like he can’t talk to her about certain things. I can’t blame her for being jealous.

Dex-chan lover
why the hell is everyone taking one side or the other
they're both being self-centered bitches with some good points and some bullshit both expressed in a bitchy manner
one of them doesn't have to be in the right
To be fair, i think most are talking about the argument itself and who was in the right and not them as people

and i think its unfair to take sides about whos the better person cause because both are definitely flawed people, moe couldve made herself more clear to yamada about her friendship with ichikawa (or maybe theres actually something more but i doibt it), and actually not talk yamada down even if shes right and Yamada should act less spoiled and stand up to herself more. But i think call them as bitches is too much cause these people are kids man, ofc they're all self-centered, werent we all self centered back when we were their age? But thats just me.

Dex-chan lover
Yup. She asked him in 121 about his choice and he hesitated, and then she had to hear him tell her friend. It makes it seem like he can’t talk to her about certain things. I can’t blame her for being jealous.
100% man, she shouldve made herself more clear to yamada, then again, her resentment defo played a part in not being clear. We all forget sometimes that these are teenagers and kids. I aint giving them a pass, but even adults fail to do basic shit like this.

Dex-chan lover
Kanna, I love you xD This is why you're the true best character of this manga.

I hope we get some answers from Moe next chapter cuz I'm so confused on why she got so mad. Anna is Anna, so she tends to trip on what she's trying to say and it's more awkward than Kyo gives her credit for, but Moeko so far had been a little more thoughtful and the quicker one to notice stuff, so something must be going on that made her turn into this fight when I feel like she knows when Anna's being insincere.

But I guess that's how fight sometimes go. You end up saying stuff you don't mean

Dex-chan lover
Sad that Yamada is a kind of girl "oh, my boyfriend is talking to another girl. That's a no no."
Yeah, it's unfortunate, but I suppose we've sorta seen it through her "yandere" phase whenever Ichikawa is interacting with other girls. It's just been amplified by 1000 now that they're actually dating :x

Hopefully, Yamada will be able to talk about her feelings of jealousy with him.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
So did I get this right?
Moeko complains that Yamada doesn't leave them alone to study and that she should have gone with Nyaa and Chii shopping. She thinks that Yamada didn't go because she's spoiled. The actual reason why Yamada didn't go was because she's jealous and doesn't want to leave Moeko with Ichi alone. The question is why is Yamada jealous? The way Moeko talks with ichi is very flirtatious, in chapter 131 she flirted with Ichi right in front of Yamada and is generally eager to find a boyfriend. Even in this chapter she flirted with him on the couch. Even before all that Yamada didn't like how close Moeko often would get with Ichi, it started with the LINE ID exchange and then there was that time when Moeko pretended to be Ichi's girlfriend, she learned about his highschool choice before Yamada did etc. My point is that Yamada's jealousy is quite understandable and Moeko's behavior is not acceptable. She thinks that just because Yamada is cute and pretty there's no way that she might be jealous of someone like Moe which really shows how little Moe understands Yamada.
It's not only that. Moeko was tired the first day and wanted to skip beach and start studying, but other girls, especially Yamada, wanted to go. Next day, her food/meal plan was upset by Kyotaro wanting to show off, and he even got praise for that, while her own curry went ignored like it was normal for her to be the group's chef. Still, she wanted to play nice and complimented Kyo, but then Yamada got really weird about it "I must eat all of my boyfriend's soup, give it up!!!", which is such annoying couple behavior. Remember that Moe was also burdened all the time by being their secret-keeper before the rest of the group, which probably also bothers her, especially when Yamada starts behaving like that.

And then, when they finally started studying like they were meant to, Yamada, the indirect reason for the need to go shopping, instead stays clearly to keep an eye on her, and starts bothering them during study, and this bothering takes form of "you're working so hard on this trip, you are so great as a girl, I wish I can help you more". For fucks sake, you want to help her, stop fucking getting in her way all the time, including right now, and actually help out! That really makes it like Yamada doesn't mean what she says, even though she does mean it, because it doesn't fit with how Yamada actually behaves.

To sum it up, it wasn't just staying behind that pissed of Moe, it's staying behind while bothering her with "I wish I could help you" when doing the opposite of helping her right then and from the beginning of the trip.

Last edited:
Contributor
Oh wow, so now the drama drops. And it's not even about the condom (this seems more like a ticking time bomb saved for later), it seems to be the culmination of a long simmering problem with Anna about Moeko and her unclear and seeming lack of boundaries with Kyou, and Moeko's own list of grievances with Anna ever since she started dating Kyou.

In hindsight, most instances of friction between Anna and Moeko over Kyou in the past until now have always been played off as a joke, but it turns out it wasn't. It built up little by little until it exploded in this chapter. It might've blindsided me that it happened now while the condom incident served as a decoy for potential drama, but I won't say it's unwarranted, baseless or unrealistic. The clues were there as pointed out in other comments and there's a fairly long trail that goes back to maybe all the way to when Moeko got Kyou's LINE contact first before Anna did.

Nevermind that Kana-nee is here, which by itself is something I'm already interested in. I do like that her humorous entrance kinda took off some of the edge in this tense situation.

For anyone who doesn't get Yamada's (maybe subconscious) motivation to interfere with Sekine and Ichi's studying, it was made pretty explicit in chapter 125.

image.png

There's a lot going on in this chapter, and one of the reasons why I think the writing in this manga is superb. They're both being shitty to each other, like middle school girls often are, but Yamada is the genesis of this by letting her insecurities and subconscious lack of trust in her boyfriend and her best friend get in the way of what's best for both. Sekine has been doing a lot for everyone on this trip, and Anna's actions don't match her praise for Sekine in this chapter. In Sekine's mind, you can't be shitty and annoying to me when I'm trying to study because you're jealous and then tell me you think I'm amazing. I'm not saying Anna is doing this on purpose, she's young and immature and probably doesn't even realize she's doing it, but she's still being at best inconsiderate of her friend.

And that's okay! It's good writing to see characters overcome their flaws! It's clear Sekine also has a lot of pent up jealousy towards Anna, as well. I dunno, this is just my interpretation, but I really like the story and think it's very well done.
To be fair, her behavior in the relationship is literally a mirror of Ichikawa's behavior. She wasn't possessive until Ichikawa started acting possessive. She didn't try to interfere with his interactions with the opposite sex until he started doing it first.

Honestly Kyotaro has been pretty shitty throughout the manga in this way. He overacts to her interactions with basically any boy, but then turns around and does the same thing he just interrupted Yamada doing several times and then she starts getting obsessive over it too.

Dex-chan lover
It's not only that. Moeko was tired the first day and wanted to skip beach and start studying, but other girls, especially Yamada, wanted to go. Next day, her food/meal plan was upset by Kyotaro wanting to show off, and he even got praise for that, while her own curry went ignored like it was normal for her to be the group's chef. Still, she wanted to play nice and complimented Kyo, but then Yamada got really weird about it "I must eat all of my boyfriend's soup, give it up!!!", which is such annoying couple behavior. Remember that Moe was also burdened all the time by being their secret-keeper before the rest of the group, which probably also bothers her, especially when Yamada starts behaving like that.

And then, when they finally started studying like they were meant to, Yamada, the indirect reason for the need to go shopping, instead stays clearly to keep an eye on her, and starts bothering them during study, and this bothering takes form of "you're working so hard on this trip, you are so great as a girl, I wish I can help you more". For fucks sake, you want to help her, stop fucking getting in her way all the time, including right now, and actually help out! That really makes it like Yamada doesn't mean what she says, even though she does mean it, because it doesn't fit with how Yamada actually behaves.

To sum it up, it wasn't just staying behind that pissed of Moe, it's staying behind while bothering her with "I wish I could help you" when doing the opposite of helping her right then and from the beginning of the trip.
Pretty much. No wonder Norio said that Yamada was the one who was wrong in this argument.

Users who are viewing this thread