The Daughter of the Albert House Wishes for Ruin - Vol. 2 Ch. 7

@lilian wow! That’s out-of-syllabus question!
Well, they’re different mangas, both based on separate Light Novels, clearly different as that one’s FMC is named Iris and this one’s Mary.
They both have just that similarity that they both remember their past life from Japan and got reincarnated into the world of an otome game (a game for girls where hunks try to woo them, and depending on their choices and routs, the story proceeds)
Plus if you’ve read the story you’d know, that Iris’s condemnation already took place, she remembered her past life after that! This is different, her “condemnation event ” is yet to take place.
Just FYI there are many mangas with the premise of being reborn in the world of an otome game/ in the world of a novel, with memories of past life. Please don’t get confused between every one of them, before reading them properly. And don’t count on rumours/ comments, as they can easily miscommunicate. People may just mean to compare them, and you might think they’re calling it the same story.

thank you for the update!

@keks503 i think that smile is more of relief and melancholy bc its like “oh man you won’t be with me when i am banished because you have a route and you will be with someone else; but you will be happy”

Ooh so this is the reason why she was acting like that. I wonder if endgame is addie and her living with her aunt in the north. Would be nice to see that.

Dex-chan lover
Her reasoning still seems very flawed to me.... and the plan too... and the lack of realizing other options. Oh well. Maybe there's more I don't know.

Also, thanks for more :) I enjoy this silly series.

Dex-chan lover
afraid that Royal Family will attack you? - Attack them first!
unhappy with family's head management? - Just overthrow him and do it yourself

even if family's influence would be reduced - it'd be just temporary and inevitable would just happen a bit later

i see that this world lacks the concept of military, and scientific progress, and political science, and "non-capitalistic capitalism"
wew, idek what im talking about, but for the first time in my life, i feel a certain sense of 'Lf> basically napolean for this world' farm girl from that one area of france works too*

EDIT: y they all french, ??w e brb afk
or -,,,,,,,, has mc nver heard of oligarchies?

This is starting to feel like Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter. I actually think she has the right reasoning. I always felt that yes, bullying is harsh, but it's unreasonable to punish a Duke's daughter much less the entire family for unruly behavior against a lesser rank, especially taking into account the rigid social hierarchy in those days. In reality it's probably because the royal family was using that as a pretext to kick the "arrogant" Alberts down a notch.

@Red225 I agree with your take on it.

@0ri If they voluntarily gave up tribute or donate, it won't have the effect you expect. It might actually be worse. It's a pride thing on top of a power struggle. If they give out handouts to the royal coffers or even worse, directly to the people, that's delegitimizing the rule of the royal family, winning the support of the commoners who benefit from treasury money, and pretty much just rubbing it in. Donated money doesn't just evaporate, you end up with foundations and goodwill all in the Albert name. She heavily implies that this is what her father is already doing. The lesser royalty are cozying up to their family and her father generally doesn't refuse their requests for money and connections. But that won't endear them to the royals who were born believing they had the right to stand above others but are forced to beg the Alberts for alms. If we think about it this way, it will just incite their resentment even more.

On top of that, unlike Common Sense, the Alberts don't have any military power. It's just economic influence and social capital. That won't protect you from a conspiracy from vengeful royals and backstabbing nobles if they actually decide to work together. If they try to build up a private guard now, it's unlikely it will ever rival the royal army, and that will only give their enemies the excuse for accusations of treason. It's a perfect plan. Whether they have military power of not, the royals can accuse them of treason, confiscate their properties for the royal coffers, and solidify their position on one condition, if the other nobles are willing to support them socially. The only thing holding the royal family back is 1. morals if we're lucky and 2. fear of retribution from the nobles and subsequent political instability. The only reason the aristocrats haven't turned on the Alberts ( and stepped on them to move up the ladder once the greatest family is out of the picture) is because 1. they might be afraid they're next 2. the Alberts are still useful. If the royals are able to work out a deal with nobles to distribute confiscated Albert capital to so-called "loyal" retainers, the royals would be able to create a situation where no one house is too powerful and reassert authority. Opportunistic nobles would take the chance to rise by backing up treason claims.

Lastly someone mentioned just straight up taking over. That's an all or nothing hail-mary gamble. You either win and get to rule the kingdom or the entire family gets obliterated and executed. That's assuming they even want to start up a new dynasty by having a lengthy and bloody rebellion. First of all, they don't have military might, and secondly probably don't have legitimacy. Royalty tends to have a godlike status for commoners. Just look at how purple eyes are treated. Let's assume that somehow they were able to build up enough forces to execute a coup detat, discreetly sneak them into the capital, and execute the royal family. Will the nobility support them? Or maybe they'll think, now that the old and stable dynasty is gone, it's a free for all. Or they'll find some long lost illegitimate royal to install as a figurehead and become the righteous suppressors of the treasonous Alberts. In history those who launch bloody rebellions rarely end up ruling afterwards. It's always another group who will take up the power vacuum. Will the commoners go with it? If not, they'll have a hell of a time trying to maintain peaceful rule. Will neighboring countries ignore the civil war? If you're the imperialistic type, no.

What's the point in fleeing to another country? You end up on the run with maybe 30% of your liquid assets if you're lucky and plan ahead, losing your homeland, all your power, and become dependent on a foreign country's goodwill. If that country is not neutral, they might use the Alberts as a bargaining chip and extradite them in return for political favors. At this point their options are to become less threatening (economically, socially, psychologically) or play the game (install branches of the family in political positions, tie their fortunes closely to those of others, and strike down organized resistance). I don't think the author meant for us to take this so seriously but if we're here poking holes in this and saying her reasoning is shit and arguing that the story is shit by proxy, it's worth taking a closer look at pretty much the only 2 options they have. Besides, if she falls to commoner status she gets to marry Addie so win-win

Dex-chan lover
*gasp* not the fan disk!!

also, coup d'etat, heard of it? worked quite well back in the days.
I doubt the most influential, richest family that overshadows even the royal family can't do that.

@snowyang26 Thank you for that detailed explanation - the other options Mary has are certainly not as straightforward as they appear to be.

I think there's also the fact that Mary is still thinking about this world as a 'game' with an immutable plot. From her drills, Patrick offering the dance, and the rejected engagement so far, everything has been progressing as her memories say it should - even without her intervention. She wouldn't place much faith in plans that deviated from the 'routes' in the game; for example, even if she warns her father about the situation with the nobles and royals, a series of events may just happen which place them back on track for a bad ending. You can further see this on page 16 with the flow chart of game events in her mind.

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but I also don't think Mary is doing this for the sake of being with Addie in any manner. She realises that he has a route in the second game and (painfully) wishes him well; moreover, she explicitly says "only Mary was made to atone for her sins", knowing full well that she will be by herself in this ending.
I love how Addie, on the other hand, has no intention of letting her going alone though.
"While Alicia is going through the contents of this so-called fandisk, we will be in the northern lands running a poultry rice bowl restaurant?"

@Noboru Haha thanks I got a bit carried away. Yeah I agree with you there on the drills backstory. She has more trust in an already established game plot. Plus part of it seems psychological. She doesn't seem to be the type to want to constantly be fending off political attacks and living on a knife's edge. Even before her memories of another life, she was unusual in wanting to have casual relationships and freedom in her life

I think it's a fringe benefit. I believe her priority is her family's safety, then living the life she wants, but I do think she's aware of her feelings for him. I interpreted that line as her being aware that Addie follows her post-condemnation. As for why she isn't expressing her feelings, it goes back to that passage where she keeps her distance from the servants' quarters after she learns she was only burdening them with her status. She knows she's noble and if Addie isn't interested in her, he would feel pressured and burdened by her feelings as his employer. I wonder if she wants his resignation so as to close that gap, and so Addie can make a choice without pressure

GYA CLIFF HANGER I CRY. Really hope this didn't get dropped I want to see the conclusion!

Users who are viewing this thread