The Day All Women's Eyes Became Hollow - Ch. 4 - In the World of Hollow Eyes... The Girl With Sanpaku Slit Eyes

Dex-chan lover
Say that to Neon Genesis Evangelion or Madoka Magica.
Or even Rascal Does Not Dream Of ___
NGE was about people distancing themselves when they should try to connect with others. Depression played a role but it wasn't used as a metaphor.

I have no idea what you think in Meguca was metaphorical for mental illness, Rascal was more personality issues.
Japanese media prefers to symbolize stuff like emotions, personality, and aspects of the human condition rather than any clinical mental disorder.

Dex-chan lover
All I wanted to say with my comment was that metaphors for mental illness aren't that uncommon in Japanese media. Tho I agree there is a very noticeable stigma around mental health in Japan. Anyway, on to my examples:
NGE was about people distancing themselves when they should try to connect with others. Depression played a role but it wasn't used as a metaphor.
Quote taken from Wikipedia:
"Evangelion has long been taken as a deeply personal expression of Hideaki Anno's personal struggles and his long battle with depression."
I have no idea what you think in Meguca was metaphorical for mental illness
The whole series is at it's heart the opposition of hope and despair, and by extent, serves as an allegory of real-life depression, and it's quite poetic. Just take a look at the backgrounds, scenery and lighting.
Rascal was more personality issues.
Japanese media prefers to symbolize stuff like emotions, personality, and aspects of the human condition rather than any clinical mental disorder.
All of them have mental illnesses.
Kaede seems to have dissociative fugue.
Mai is depressed.
Futaba suffers from separation anxiety and self-deprecation.
Koga has an obsession with her view of a perfect life.
Nodoka has generational trauma caused by her mother and an inferiority complex towards her sister.

Double-page supporter
I used the wrong word.

I said "metaphor" but the word I should have used was "manifestation" or symptom. (Yes metaphor is VERY much the wrong word.)

Maybe the women's eyes are fine and it's the MC we need to worry about.

Dex-chan lover
Alright, I'll explain the joke. The title for this chapter is, girl with sanpaku slit eyes. The whites of her eyes take up a lot of space leaving her iris small and she normally has slit eyes, her eyes look closed as drawn. The main joke of this manga doesn't apply to her, that is the joke. I don't want to assume you guys didn't get it but... "Is she a boy?" come on.

Users who are viewing this thread