The Emperor's Companion

@zabber1100 Let's see.
If we're talking about shoujo.
'Emperor and The Female Knight' has the most subtle romance development (as of now), but it's unfinished, so idk how it'll be in the future. Also, it has some decent 'realistic' points in terms of time period, which specifically revolves around war relations (as of now).
'Koroshi Ai' has also subtle romance and the title's mostly story driven so far, too.

'Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shite' is just pure braindead light comedy. You just read it (or you can watch it, there is an anime) for chuckles, romance in here is just kind of a part of a setting (much like in 'Zettai BL ni Naru Sekai VS Zettai BL ni Naritakunai Otoko' -- though it's BL).
'Chitra' is very much like so, and it has game stuff. 'Miss Not-So Sidekick', 'I Choose the Emperor Ending', 'The Stereotypical Life of a Reincarnated Lady' are also like that. Shut off your brain and enjoy all the mess.

'Spirit Fingers'
is good overall, it delivers certain messages and has good comedy relief sections.

'The Flower That Was Bloomed by a Cloud' is good, but I don't really know where the plot is going, and I don't really like 'kingdom affairs' kind of thing, so I don't pay that much of an attention to it (it's going to be rather stupid and heavy I bet). But I enjoy the art, general flow of the story and its subtleties.

If you enjoy the shit-talking MC -- 'Beware of the Villainess!' is good for that.

'Bring The Love' has its interesting moments, the characters feel natural, I'm rather intrigued to where this is all going.

'Death is The Only Ending for The Villainess' has a survival theme with game stuff, it adresses certain issues which 'the tea duchess' deliberately hides or doesn't pay attention to (because it's inconvenient to the plot otherwise). Though you can pinpoint that MC is rather impulsive which ruins her 'let's act logically so I don't get killed right off the bat', but humans do be like that, and in such a situation, too. I just hope author won't make all this into a plot armor, so she will talk whatever freely with no consequences, assuming she's walking on the edge in this setting and all...
And with this theme 'Surviving as a Maid' has caught my attention simply because of a BL background. I hope the main group of people will stay gay, and not suddenly fall in love with her or something, unlike how it's done in every other maid title. Character growth is promising in this one.

'Exorcist and Devil-chan' is just pure fluff, no story. Though, beware of a huge age gap.
Speaking of age gaps -- 'Koi to Yobu Ni wa Kimochi Warui' is a decent shoujo title if you don't overthink and overcomplicate things.

'Milady Just Wants to Relax' has a romance tag, but from the translated chapters, it's not there yet. Though, I doubt there will be a story to tell, assuming it's a cooking title to top it off, but there is one huge thing to this title. FUR! God damn it, I love it!

Kind of a family title -- 'No Youna'. It brings up certain issues and tries to give its own honest answer to them. It doesn't feel like it's forced, it's on the 'natural' side.

'The Evil Lady's Hero'
has decent smut, if you're looking for one. The story is forced and superficial though -- it's similar in that regard with the 'Living as the Tyrant's Older Sister'. But both are still enjoyable.

I think that's all from me.

@zabber1100 Enjoy the ride :)
There are many more titles in the genre though, you might find ones that suit your taste if you search up a bit. You can start looking into other projects picked up by scanlation teams that work on titles you've been reading already, and expand slowly from that.

Actually pretty surprised with all the negative criticism. Well this definitely isn't one of the greatest, but i wouldn't consider this to be all that bad. Considering there are way more generic ones out there. Honestly feel like this one just depends on your taste. Like if ur into the possessive yandere ish stuff but like honestly the mL isn't even that bad considering some of the people were disrespecting him and stuff.
[/spoiler Hilde is actually more of the better mLs in my opinion. She's suddenly placed with an extremely heavy burden when all she wanted was to be with her sister. Being able to adapt in that type of situation isn't normal, and I feel like she's handling things well. Of course certain things don't really add up, but otherwise the arts nice and i'm not really sure why this one is getting so much hate. I read my fair share of mangas in this genre, and this is actually some of the least shallower ones.

Aggregator gang
The only way to make one root for a trash ML love interest is if the FL is equally trash or worse. Then they can both be shitty together.
I just don't understand how you can make the ML a piece of shit, the FL lead relatively normal, and expect people to root for their love. Makes no sense.

This romance manga is actually pretty good when the main romantic interest isn't involved in the story.

Now there's progress.. somehow
I think the reason why so many out there are prejudiced towards the ML because he did not start as a 'good one'.
He actually started as a villain and did all sort of negative things to everyone.. literally killing without batting an eyelash.
Since the manhwa has a veeeery slow development, it had already been imbedded in the minds of those who started reading this manhwa early on that the ML is
as shitty as shit, nothing to like him about, and so on.
But if you will think about it,
there's no 'solid background' about him since the very beginning and the author only showed the bastardly side of him.. with which, in my opinion is the author's plan.

However,
setting up that kind of beginning.. then slowly developing the ML into a 'likeable character' has its backlashes.
Not everyone is willing to give a shit about him now even though there is a 'reason' why he is made as such. But let's be honest here, he is
honest-to-goodness true to his feelings towards the FL.. unfortunately, it's only the FL he cares about and doesn't give a damn to everyone else.
And I do not know if that is good or bad in the eyes of the others, though..

Double-page supporter
The story start out very slow and a bit confusing, but it’s getting better. Not sure why many ppl condemned the ML as trash, he just overly yandere in my opinion and with a good emotional reason behind it (not much logical though)
I like the Princess X Chancellor, hope to see more of them.

the rating of this webcomic makes me lol
most isekai/reincarnatjon stories are usually pretty high rating so this was a surprise

Group Leader
I really wanted to like this and it did show promise, but the romance plot with the emperor is just... Bad. So, so bad. I even like yanderes, but this is plain bad. The mc is extremely inconsistent with her feelings too, so far she only backs down with him because he looks handsome? Wtf? Yeah. Bad.

Aggregator gang
The art in carrying this series. It's really beautiful. It's become the main reason I'm still reading.

For me, I have several issues with the story. For one, it goes way too slow. Pacing is so important, but the author seems to really like repeating the same thing over and over again to remind us of who Hilde is. (Yes, we know you're indebted to your sister. Yes, we know that guy is dangerous. Yes, we know you were a CEO before you died.)

The author also seems to have trouble trying to pin a personality to the ML. One day he's a super dangerous unrepentant killer and the next he's stopping Hilde from killing someone who obviously deserved to die. I think a major problem is that the author is trying to keep the ML's motivations and past a secret for a big reveal...but if you don't release a little bit of information or backstory about a character, no one's going to sympathize with a ML who seemingly kills for no reason.

Author is trying SO hard to build up a romance but it's not happening. No "Doki doki" moments while I read this. Not only because ML is as interesting as a potato, but because Hilde's reincarnated sister is not confirmed to be Ludan (Hilde just believes it because Ludan is her current sibling)...so for all we know, her sister could be the ML. Can't trust any romance between Hilde and any other character until it's confirmed who her sister is.

Story doesn't get interesting (at least for me) until it gets around chapter 30ish or so...and even then it's very slight. I recommend saving up the chapters and binge reading it every ten chapters.

Tried to read it because at first I thought the story would develop and the art was nice, but I can't. I just cannot deal with the terrible ML anymore and how her past live keeps being told every chapter or so.
It keeps prickling the full enjoyment of this story that could have been told way better. Sorry not sorry but dropping it.

This dude forcibly kissed the MC in the first chapter, and she called it out as sexual harrassment (because it was), and then he consistently tries to murder everyone around her, over and over again for no fucking reason. Seems like an antagonist, right? Right? Nope, the author wants to sell us on their heart pounding romance. God, what is even happening in this story? The art's pretty and the ML is an asshole, that's all I know. Use your time for a better story than this. The MC isn't all that interesting either.

At first it was thrilling, reading stories where the MC has to win over a scary or dangerous male lead (like in all of those stories where the father is a king who hates his daughter for no reason, sometimes just because...she's alive?) who is a fiance or a potential husband or something, but you know what? I actually want to see a male lead who is a decent person. Anybody got recommendations for an isekai--actually no, just any manga or manwha for a female audience where the men are multifaceted characters who aren't absolute garbage?

@Zephyr247 Can't say you'll like it, but you may check some of the mentioned titles out, from my previous post.
But in all honesty, I don't think there are 'truly complex' titles in shoujo genre yet.
P.S. You also may check out 'Charlotte's Letter'. I think this one kind of feels like you're reading through classical literature, that's my side recommendation, though.

@Zephyr247 two title I didn't see in oreore's list that I have come to enjoy are "the villainess lives twice" and "duchess with an empty soul" just my personal opinion and forewarning "duchess with an empty soul" is currently on hiatus for about two months now waiting in author/artist for season 2. I apologise in advance if either of these are not to your liking.

@Zephyr247 Bring the love
Really enjoy the interactions between the characters.

Nevermind. I see that was brought up by someone else. I second this recommendation though

Users who are viewing this thread