The Emperor's Companion

Contributor
Succinctly, this series might be great if the author's tastes in romance partners and romantic developments wasn't so... objectively awful. Not in exactly the usual ways, but awful nonetheless.

It kept feeling like it's going to maybe turn around and explain itself—like the protagonist is at least intellectually aware of most of which of the things going on around her are fundamentally messed up, and there's maybe-or-maybe-not magic afoot floating around influencing people's emotions or some such, and a bunch of people's motives might or might not be what they seem—but I've slowly lost hope that it will coalesce into something sensible. The author appears to adore having the protagonist bent against her own will by various forces into a problematic relationship, and continuously drives the story in that direction.

And in the meantime we're supposed to swallow so much bull, that if it were a long ploy then I'm not sure it could be worth it at this point... ^^;;

I'll probably ultimately keep reading out of curiosity as to where this is going, but had I known what I was getting into I'm fairly certain I would not have started it.

Having said that, the last few chapters have
done that thing that this sort of romance is prone to do, where as the romance warms up a bit, they gradually tone down the bad stuff, and then (instead of acknowledging this as character development or anything) pretend somehow the love interest never really did anything wrong and everything was the heroine just being too judgemental or something. Which on the one hand is sort of vomit-inducing, but on the other hand, I now have some hope that the love interest isn't going to act like a psychopath all the time anymore and I can, while acknowledging all the bad writing up 'till now, enjoy the rest of the manwha in peace... fingers crossed.

Keep in mind I'm talking about going though like 40-odd chapters to reach that point. It's probably not worth it. Really.

Romance aside, though, the political intrigue and other non-romance-plot stuff in this are pretty decent stuff in their own right, when it gets around to them (which is more so in the later part of what's been scanlated). There's good stuff here. It's just buried under a pile of steaming excrement. ^^;

@Zephyr247 @khaosguard @oreore Also, if we're talking about reincarnation stories with originally bad personality ML but woah do you get a surprise of ya layf, I highly recommend "This Time I Will Definitely Be Happy" https://mangadex.org/title/36856/this-time-i-will-definitely-be-happy. Simp

Also, there's that manhwa On The Emperor's Lap which is also about a bad ML and an even more badass FL. Well, I think she's sorta sensible and she's trying to hold her ground. They don't have it translated in english here on MD tho.

This is tedious to read and not really capturing my attentions as much as I had hoped. Though the premise was interesting. Only made it to chapter 19 and then. Eh. Boring. The ML is an unreasonable jerk and the FL could be interesting if she had a spine. The artwork is really pretty though.

I really had trouble liking the story - the scenario, romance-wise, seems chaotic : the ml. looks like a huge bipolar jerk, the protagonist’s love for her sibling appears exaggerated... at first. but it really gets better after a while.

however, for those who come for the romance : you will have to be very patient. the beginning is well... confusing with some displeasing aspects from the ml. personality. it does get better after a good while : the characters seems to become closer, their relationship appears “warmer” but can you read through 40 chapters just to finally see them touch hands ? ( not hold, touch. )

romantic aspect apart, the more “serious matters” such as politics, social crisis and religion make the story much more interesting. and those matters are how the world reveal its darker side and what push the characters to grow , they are interesting in their “role” - emperor and pope. but as individual ? not yet. it’s slowly getting here, but its... slow.

I like it though, but as I said before, if you come just for “love”, it might be boring for you.

THE STORY IS AMAZING!!!! I don't know why it's such a low rating! I personally LOVE this story! A lot might not make sense at first but the more you read the better it gets! Don't give it a low rating without properly giving it a chance.

Everything that happens in the beginning is a slow build up so you understand all the characters only on a basic level before the story, relationships and character developments become more advanced.

Don't get obsessed on the romance option of it, romance is NOT everything and the plot is amazing! There is so much there to story of it and yes it is a slow build but to me is an amazing one as there is so much to them being together and understanding eachother. 10/10

Prepare to be pissed off when you read this. Anyways, the story progression became more awful each passing chapters.

I felt such disgust for the ML, I seriously wished the FL would just punch him.
And the way she keeps talking about how much he cares for her seems like a way to make up for his horrible actions, but it doesn't at all. Several times kissing her without consent, almost killing her obviously precious brother; God I hate him so much. Dropped.

clicked on this from the isekai tag bc the art looked nice, then saw the rating, then read the first few chapters, and now officially proud to have tried it and dropped it ^^

I came here for the art, stayed for the siblings and finally dropped it because of the ML. I can't stand him at all, he's utterly disgusting. At first the MC has common sense and dislikes him, but for some reason at some point she just start to think that "oh, it's okay, he cares for me" and seems to brush off every bad things he did and like?? No??? He might "care for you" but must you excuse
sexual harassment and impulsive murder
because of it?? It's like she has stockholm syndrome (even tough he's not holding her captive, at least not as far as I went, but you get my point)
The story was great, the relationship between the siblings was great, but then the romance happened, the ML happened, and it ruined it all in my opinion. This could be so much better if there was no romance and focused on everything else imo.

Edit: It might not have been
impulsive murder
but he most definitely
hurt someone because they tried to approach the MC. Did he cut their hand or something? I don't exactly remember, but yeah, still very fucked up.

Really like the political aspect of the story and the world building. Might need to drop it cuz of the ML. He’s not changing his behavior, but the FL is just... accepting it now.

Thank you to the scan group for scanning this story so far along. I hope y’all enjoy the story and have a good day.

I really don't get why this has such low ratings. 6.26??? Even sh*tty manhuas usually get like 7+ o_O

The male lead isn't even that bad (he's not perfect, but he still has some charms) and the plot is decent although slow. But I've read worse. And the art is gorgeous...

Ugh this gets worse every chapter. Male lead doesn't change at all, but FL just accepts him because he's sexy, or something. =_=

I only read up to chapter 14 but I think i might drop this. I will probably get backlash for this, but I dislike the sibling. I understand that she will fall in love with the ML and despite everyone's criticism I think it makes sense that she does. This man is the only person to see her for a person and does not care for her power. Everyone around her only cares for her power and expects her to take the role of pope and she gets no other choice. In her old life her role was chosen to be the CEO and inherit her families company. Even her sibling is not thinking of the MC as a sister but as a role to be filled (at least in the beginning, I dont know about later). Either way i will be dropping this for now because too much political and religious drama.

I don't get why this has low rating. I am already in Ch 47 and I am loving him.. So the ML is harsh, but he is just blunt and straightforward person. He will not sugar coat it fornyou and describe wveryrhing as is. HE is better than any other ML CEO manhuas. I am happy I already saw the ra2 version so I can continue ths

The only issue with this (besides their chins) is the fact she loves him even though he is literally killing her people and she is "mostly" fine with it to the extent of even "falling in love" while/during his acts of violence. Plus the fact he is so attached to her without a real solid reason irks me. Like he doesn't care about her at all personality wise and postion wise. Unless theres a good solid reason why he acts like that, I'm gonna have this dropped for now.

The opinions on this comic are such polar opposites its funny. I don't like romance in general and honestly hate the ones that just immediately get loveydovey, reason I like this is cuz FLs main concern isn't ML but her position and desire to make up for her past mistakes. I admit the build up is shaky but its kinda fun that way. I am pissed it's marked as complete when it's clearly not, that was the only reason I started this, cuz I wanna finally FINISH a comic *sigh* woe is me

Not sure why the rating is so low, yes it has some issues, but none worse than any other manga/manhwa so not sure why this one is hated so much. I think the world that's been build in the story is interesting, the myths are cool as well. The characters are not as well developed, which I would say is the main issue, but it's not so bad I can't enjoy it and hope that they get more developed as the story moves along. More than anything I like that there's more to the story than two people falling in love like in most fantasy webcomics. Even the relationship of the leads is tie in someway to something bigger (still don't know what tho).

Users who are viewing this thread