The Good Deeds of Old Adventurer Kane - Vol. 3 Ch. 9 - A moment of Respite

Aggregator gang
Okay after reading this all in one sitting, it's pretty nice.
Not sure why there's a bunch of hate for Maya in the comments. She seems like the only girl of the three bothers to think things through before acting. The other two are hot heads and she's very level headed overall. It's her job as the "straight man" or Tsukkomi to keep the others in line. Even as far as Tsukkomi characters go, she's pretty mellow.

As for the "harem" aspect, Elena seems like the only one with a legitimate chance.
Altena is now a god and would likely be happier to see him live out his life.
Noir is also a god, but very childlike. She would be more of a daughter.
Sephira is a saint and pretty innocent even if she's the one who has given him the most service so far.
Sylvia is his mother figure and doesn't appear to have any desire to be anything more.
Maya even with the revelation this chapter doesn't seem to be inclined. She doesn't hate him, but she definitely knows that Ana ans Sphira like him. For that reason alone she wouldn't get involved.
Which leads us to Anastrea. She doesn't even know what she wants, but if Kane ever finds out how she has treated Elena in general that would be an instant no go.

That being said, I could see this entire series ending without him getting together with anyone. I'll definitely check out more when it's available.

Dex-chan lover
@degenerateafro The problem with Maya is her blatant lesbian thirst. It comes off as if everything 'sane' she does to reign in the others is just to sabotage Kane, so she can keep the girls for herself. Her actions are not a problem, her motivations are.

Aggregator gang
@cor3zone She has never shown any animosity directly to Kane. She has shown frustration to her companions wanting to use a completely normal person as a hero.

This could be because I read all of the chapters back to back, so I didn't have a one month wait to stew on some minor topic, but her motivation has always been first and foremost to protect the people she is close to.

Chapter 1
page 28 - her reasoning is that 1. they don't know him and 2. he might not be interested (which Kane himself said directly to Elena which they heard at the time). Maya was the only people who actually listened to what Kane had to say about the situation and she is correct that they know nothing about him. Not seeing the problem here.
page 38-40 - Maya is the only person concerned about Kane's well being when Ana dropped a Dragon on his lap. When he fell down and was in Danger, Maya was the only one who moved to help him. Ana and Sephiria just watch.

Chapter 2
page 22 - Maya's first reaction to Kane after watching his daily activities is to think he's a softie. Not in a negative way mind you. Plus she was the first to suggest handling the Viper Familia which Ana agreed to.
Page 30-36 - Two women you don't know come busting into the orphanage and making a ruckus saying you are the chosen one. Remember at this point he had never met any of them official so while they know him, he doesn't know them at all. Maya is non-violent in removing them from the orphanage and fixes the door while remaining polite the entire time.
Page 37 - Maya explains that the blessing of the Saint is a once in a life time blessing that was meant for Ana. Certainly a reasonable excuse for not wanting it to be randomly handed out to a person they barely know and who at this point doesn't know them at all. I would guess this is the entire interaction that makes you think she's a raging lesbian with a hate boner for Kane, but not once did she ever do anything more than point out the normal conclusions people would come to. He was lucky when the dragon was slain. He's a D rank without any power and he's a complete unknown to them as a party. Her grumblings about her girls only paradise are just that' grumblings. She doesn't molest them as you seem to assume she does. It's not like we have to worry about her ulterior motive at this point since they are directly showing what her inner thoughts are and they are mostly innocent and not even negative to having Kane join. Him being the new Tsukkomi of their group isn't a negative thing. (but of course that's just my take, you guys obviously see it differently)

Chapter 3
Page 15-18 - Maya notes that he barely won in a fight vs a C rank and she also shows that she if she had a chance to intervene she would have, but wound up not having to because of the mysterious stone pine incident. Also not that once again Maya is the first one to get them moving towards eliminating the Viper Familia while the other two are currently basking in the afterglow of a victory. Once again Kane would agree with Maya 100% that he won because of luck so I'm not sure why she would be berated for pointing out what should be obvious.

Chapter 4
Page 8-11 - Once again Sephiria is barging in on a person claiming they are the chosen one. Remember this is only the second time they have official met as far as Kane is concerned and its the first time he actually knows partially what is going on. Maya once again comes in to stop Sephiria from using her once in a lifetime pledge on a person who almost died to a dragon and almost died to a C ranked bandit. Yes Maya is a bit more aggressive in separating them than she was the first time around, but she is very specific in stating that he shouldn't approach them because those two cannot think straight when he's around. She has her banter with the Bacchus which is a bit aggressive, but that's followed up by...
Page 29 - Maya's pretty much stated she would accept Sephiria giving her once in a lifetime pledge to Kane if she would just explain why he has to be the one. Of course this leads to more comedy where Seph can't come up with a reason for that happening, but again her argument is sound. It's not like she's hiding her intentions to the others. She's speaking with them and trying to get a reason. Considering that her character is based on logical decision making, this doesn't seem like a bad thing. Something like "Divine Intuition" while real to Sephiria isn't something that Maya can logically accept. As the reader it's obvious that the MC was blessed at this point and that Sephiria is likely reacting to the blessing, but as a character Maya cannot just go based off of that. Now considering her friend is a Saint, perhaps she should have taken that more into account, but remember at the same time she is dealing with Princess Ana's completely illogical and irrational behavior and conflating that with Sephiria's behavior. However at this point Maya has given up on stopping them and it shows in later interactions.

Chapter 5
Page 20-24 - Stress relief.

Chapter 6
Page 5 - Maya Protects Elena from Princess Ana
Page 13-15 - Maya realizing that Kane is actually improving. Notice she isn't at the ready to jump in and save him like she was in the dragon and bandit fights, so she at least is not as nervous about his abilities as she was earlier.
Page 22 - While Ana is happy about Kane winning, Maya is worried that King level monsters are showing up in the mountain. again this is her being logical.
Page 23 - Hey for the first time we are shown that the Divine Intuition that Sephiria was receiving was from Althena, the mountain god. So this is the first actual confirmation that Sephiria isn't being random in her selection of Kane. Again, not really something I can blame Maya for not knowing since we are the readers didn't know for sure until this point either. Honestly you can say that Kane was the cause of his own misfortune since he was the one who made Althena into the God that then gave the revelation to Sephiria which is why he was forced to be the hero. So it's all his own fault.
Page 47 - Maya is less upset about Sephiria pledging herself to Kane than Princess Ana is. Again logically it's not something that can be undone so all she can do is move forward with what they have.

So in total from the beginning of the series until the time he receives the Saints blessing he met Maya and Sephiria three times total. He has no idea what is going on the entire time and barely knows who they are. He just knows that she chose him and goes along with it. Heck he never associates the invitation he received to join their party back in chapter 1 to his subsequent meetings with the Saint and the Princess (which should at least be obvious later since he never knew she was the princess in the first place). Maya doesn't threaten Kane or think about his negatively. All of her judgements about him were based off of logical conclusions based on her observations. He whole objection isn't to having him join, it's to him receiving the Saints pledge. Unlike the other two, she sees him as someone in need of protection and is the main one to act to attempt to protect him. That goes for everyone she interacts with BTW. She tries to protect Ana and Sephiria from themselves and she also tries to protect Kane from the situations he is placed in.

So again, I don't understand the hate for Maya. "oh no she thinks her companions are cute and that this D ranked old man might be in danger if he joins an S rank party". Is that wrong? She doesn't have reader based information that the MC already has divine protection and she doesn't realize that Sephirias actions are based off of that divine protection. But again, I will state that this is probably due to my having read through the entire thing in one sitting so I got to see the whole thing play out quicker.

Dex-chan lover
@degenerateafro Ok, I'll be honest, TL;DR. Wall of text, buddy. But I just stated how I felt reading it. Her inner thoughts, about wanting the girls for herself and such, just painted everything she did in a completely different light.

Edit: for clarification. This is an extreme example, but bear with me. Imagine the best teacher ever, doing everything and anything to give their students the best time they could possibly have in school. Now imagine finding out that the teacher is a pedophile. They never did anything wrong, but their reasons for doing good are twisted to hell. Like I said, an extreme example, but Maya evokes the same type of feeling for me, just to a lesser degree.

Aggregator gang
@cor3zone Okay, to keep it short this time; they aren't her inner thoughts she says that shit out loud. They hear it and they aren't creeped out by it. So I'm not seeing why you are overreacting to an obvious comedy bit.

Thanks for the chapter!
That minister is too focused on precedents. Like she said, there's no precedent because never happened before. Granted it's good to have a firm set of rules to follow, but blindly following them and refusing to accept change is a recipe for disaster. It's not like can make a rule for absolutely every situation and even if did, who's going to be able to remember them all? Also, bad for morale if say somebody did a great feat but not properly reward or acknowledge them for being a commoner or just because. Although I think Anastrea's efforts to get Kain acknowledged and ranked up is less to reward him and more to make it easier to avoid protests and trouble from arrogant nobles about her marrying Kain.
As for the plain clothes version of the Blooming Rosen Maidens the outfits still look good quality and for nobles not commoners.
Surprised hasn't realized that Noir is or at least greatly resembles the Evil God. Although seems that Evil God name and image is more due to people making requests to her for bad things, blaming her not them, and all the 'good' people who tried to murder her and either died or injured before blaming her for their actions.

Dex-chan lover
And here I thought for a bit that they might chill on their borderline-to-outright harassment of Kane... *sigh*

Aggregator gang
how does one get good at pouring beer?
Also calling it right now Kidd is a sneak thief.

Double-page supporter
That saintess's idea of a gift is her naked body. She knows how to please a man, haha.

Dex-chan lover
Fuck is there an Evil God somewhere for me to defeat? I want a house too.

Users who are viewing this thread