The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy at All - Vol. 2 Ch. 51 - Gravitational Pull

Dex-chan lover
Me, seeing Mitsuki's shirt: I'M YOUR LOVER, I'M A ZERO

The appearance of the Shins is the first 2000's indie band in the repertoire. Until now they've been fans of 90's grunge and alternative rock. This genre evolution could be the sign of an emotional turning point in the arc. If 90's grunge was a cynical reaction to the lusty commercialization of glam metal, the 2000's was a reaction against the cynicism and irony of the 90's. Bands started being more open-minded and experimental, less ironic, and less emotionally guarded. The Shins are very much a whiny sadboi band, and "caring is creepy" is typical angst over romance. But think of the gay indie rock from that era which could signal the crush becoming a bonafide relationship. I'm hoping for a confession and acceptance while listening to Mirah's Sweepstake's Prize.

The more I think about it the more I think the songs in the story are a mixtape that will tell the tale of their romance. So effing good.

Dex-chan lover
So I reread everything to test my theory that all of the songs are a mixtape to narrate the plot. Here's the tracklist by chapter.

Chapter 1: Nirvana, Smells like teen spirit.
Chapter 11:
Blur, Song 2.
Nirvana, Heart Shaped Box.
Paranoid, Black Sabbath.
The Strokes, Reptilia.
Chapter 12:
Bon Jovi, You give love a Bad Name.
Beck, Loser.
Pearl Jam, Alive.
Royal Blood, Figure it out.
Chapter 30: Willow, Coping Mechanism:
Chapter 37: Bad Nerves, Don’t Stop.
Chapter 39: Red Hot Chili Peppers, These are the ways.
Chapter 40: Turnstile,Blackout.
Chapter 51: The Shins, Caring Is Creepy.

Looking at the lyrics, with a few exceptions, they are angsty songs about relationships. Smells like Teen Spirit is about "the kids" being phony punks, Don't Stop is a hopeful relationship song, and Loser is too nonsensical to be about anything. My conclusion is that my theory is correct, but loosely. It's like how sometimes you can't express things in words but you can by sharing a song.

Dex-chan lover
It's a serious talk but this manga almost end me with a heart attack! SMOOTHHH

Contributor
73f.jpg

I cannot help but think this every time I read a chapter of this manga. They're so close and they're talking like they're basically roommates already and they're talking about their future and-
God I love these two. I'm always all smiles after every new chapter.
Sauce? (I forgor 💀)

Supporter
I remember hearing this song in Garden State - the soundtrack for that movie is really good actually

Dex-chan lover
Smells like Teen Spirit is about "the kids" being phony punks
“Teen Spirit” is gibberish. Kurt wrote the first draft (which seems to have been about being famous, but was still largely nonsense) in five minutes before they played it on stage for the first time.
about half of their songs are just nonsense. The other half are, well, not.
He didn’t give a fuck, and if he didn’t think the song needed to be about anything in particular, he didn’t do it.

The song is titled after what someone said he smelled like. It ain’t deep.

Users who are viewing this thread