The Knight and Her Emperor - Ch. 32

If this was a normal shoujo-type, Donau's behaviour would be raising giant love rival flags...

... But for THIS story, I'm reasonably hopeful we won't get any rubbish like that. I can see the beginnings of a beautiful camaraderie.

Thanks for the chapter!
Seems Juliane really doesn't know how to act like a lady and only like a man. Granted all the etiquette lessons likely went to her more favored sister while she was neglected before her family sent her off to die. And battlefields are moved passed by those who concentrate more on survival and not dying for their country but making the enemy die for his rather than wasting time and thought on noble proprieties. Anyone know if she or the Emperor felt anything when her breasts were rubbing against his back?

@MCX01 Doubt the king would've kept status as a king unless it was an empty title even if honored surrender conditions. Only thing he was good at was raising jousters, was incompetent, too greedy and thought of the people as resources could bully and squeeze dry for money to line his own purse. The Emperor being long sighted would've never left that kind of King in power, especially because that type doesn't care about honor or promises and would've already been planning a rebellion within a week. As for the daughter it is bad that also had to pay for her father's crimes. However, the alternative would've been public execution or forced to marry someone loyal to the Emperor. While eternal imprisonment sounds more merciful, it depends on what rights or privileges she'd get and how honorable the guards are. Being stuck in an empty, cold cell with nothing to do but think is very stressful long term, especially if just get moldy bread and stale water for food, only clothes what had on back, and a bucket against the wall for a privy. If guards are dishonorable bullies she could end up getting beaten and/or raped. Although Emperor is honorable sort so likely would let her move about, have something to do (read or needlework,) and at least higher than low commoner standard of living, would be an additional expense for her care and security to prevent escapes/rescue with no benefits, and she'd always be a target for those who want to use her as a figurehead (willing or not) for a rebellion.

And just like that, I lost all the interested in both leads. Killing that innocent girl was a fucked up thing to do. I get that is would pose a threat to him, but killing people because it is convenient is an essence of being a villain.

i forget that time passes quickly so donau is much taller than when he first appeared

Group Leader
If he was so kind, why did he leave you to be raped and murdered by his men?

@ssttss
Not in the setting the story is in. Killing a royal family to ensure no issues of succession/rebellion was quite common.

Awwww big sister Paulina

Nice king giving his
love interest
subordinate a piggy back

I'm just reading peoples comments...urm... your either under 14 and in a fairy land to not realise in old ages it was custom to rape/imprison/ kill/ force marry which might as well be rape your enemy (no matter the age) to make your own lineage stronger.

author is just following the times of how to do things....

Dex-chan lover
Wow, I called the princess situation totally wrong. I really don't know what to make of her extremely brief presence in the story. A simple, sheltered girl, treated like an object by her father, and forced to kill herself because he was too proud to accept his own defeat? I don't know if the author honestly expects us to be so awed by Pauliana's "kindness" that we don't even question why it was necessary in the first place - the country had already officially surrendered, so why not use the princess as a figurehead to legitimise their dissolution into the empire and smooth over the transition? The author has already skipped over and beautified the vast majority of the war and conquering process, so why go out of their way to include this part?

Not to mention, I'm thoroughly skeptical of the idea that plunging a dagger into your own heart is a quicker and less painful way to die than a cut to a carotid artery. As far as I know, it's true that a person will die significantly faster if their heart is stopped or critically damaged than through loss of blood anywhere else, but the neck is out in the open. You have to cut deeper than you'd think, but you can get there. To reach to her heart, she'd have to pierce her dress, her skin, multiple layers of muscle, the pericardium, and the heart itself, which is a whole ball of muscle. That's going to require a lot of force that a terrified princess will struggle to produce, even with Pauliana's assistance. Not to mention, she's angled the dagger vertically, so even if she can aim for her heart and not just jam the thing into her sternum, she's almost certainly going to have to scrape through her ribs. It looks to be a pretty bad time, is what I'm saying.

All of which is pointless nitpicking, I know, but if you're going to base a scene around your main character "kindly" advising an innocent girl how to kill themselves honourably, you should probably google it first. Or spend a frame to justify it, if absolutely nothing else. In a story so light and fantastical that we just saw an entire country unilaterally surrender based on a jousting tournament (won by a single knight, no less) this feels unnecessarily brutal.

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@Gabagu Actually it is quite necessary. Keyword being "quite".

Mainly because of all the (mostly hidden) problems that could pop up from sparing the princess such as "revenge" plots, "rightful heir" plots, "the king is too soft to the enemy" plots.

Also used the word "plots" loosely since the "problems" could come from anything. For example, "king is too soft" could be used to sow discontent or inspire others to (plan/do) something similar to this dead King, make the MC King "let his guard down" then have the surviving spared princess "stab him from the back"

Then from a lawful standpoint, the MC is already King after the agreement was signed. Usually in these settings, attempted assassination on the King is grounds for the entire family to be executed.

From a "moral standpoint" its probably not the right thing to do but neither is war ever a "right thing to do". War is about winning and making sure your own side stay as safe and happy as possible.

Fed-Kun's army
You know the death of the princess is bothering me a lot less than I thought it would

Aggregator gang
What was even the point of that princess character? Just because the emperor points it out doesn't mean it was kindness lol
As someone else said, keeping her alive and making her a figurehead would have been more efficient. Rather, this suicide scene feels, as another comment said, like the author put a western dress on an East Asian feodal system...

@Amarrez
He didn't, he ordered for her to be beheaded, nothing "wrong" with that since she was an enemy soldier that wasn't useful as an hostage in an already won war.
What ONE ('cause it was only one) soldier does without following direct orders isn't the king's fault.

I know he gotta make sure the princess die so she won't be able to start a rebel but idk man, she seem like someone who isn't able to do that so it leave a bitter taste

@Nep lol, no I don't think so. It's actually not at all necessary. Having royal blood does not guarantee support. If the king does something that causes an opposition to be in a position of power to challenge the king, then it has no relevance at all to whether he let a mere girl live or not. It's because he screwed up elsewhere allowing his opponents to seize power in the first place not because the princess is an effective figurehead to rally around since that's not where power comes from.

It was not necessary at all to kill the princess, it accomplishes nothing. If he really wants to make an example he can do it with plenty of other guilty culprits, not some girl with no clue what's going on.

Oh god no just translate it as "big sis",
Noona is a stupid word to say in english, please stop.

Users who are viewing this thread