The Lady and the Beast

@reader67941 since u don’t seem to know as u used it in ur comment, the g word is a slur. second off i wasn’t talking abt the racism/colorism of the antagonists but of the work itself. the author literally whitewashed a whole race using a flimsy excuse bc they didn’t want to include dark skinned ppl

Thank you so much! Please take care of yourselves.
God finally Ill be able to read this, Ive been waiting for a chance to read this when I saw the promotional webtoon!

Group Leader
This is like if black people became white due to a defense mechanism from being enslaved for thousands of years

Fed-Kun's army
Apologies in advance for the wall of text

@cckari Since when is "Gypsy" a racist word? It's literally the description of a people without a country, a wandering group with no lord, typically made up of tricksters and entertainers. In many ways such groups are the origin of traveling fairs and circus acts. Also, judging people based on their skin color is the most common form of distinguishing between people groups since the dawn of man, to say that people can't use it in world settings of fictional scenario's would be closer to an attempt to whitewash our own history of doing the exact same thing. It is "good", no, is it extremely natural, absolutely.

@Dennamen No, I don't want nor expect another trope filled "Weak to strong" story, all I'm saying is that by simply giving the entire freaking world to the MC with no apparently struggle or desire for it greatly cheapens the story that would be so much richer otherwise. All it would take is a few pages with her making some, ANY, comments on the world around her, perhaps why she become a warmonger to conquer the rest of the continent, or how she felt on her deathbed about the life she lived. Her first life is the basis of character we follow, and giving us nothing but dry historical tidbits leaves much to be desired.

@DoctorVu Yes, people are people and the differences don't tend to be too extreme, however considering the entire story is based around how her people group was excluded specifically because of their stark difference in appearance, then yes it is very weird for her to keep her old appearance.

While I agree that if you think through the possible ramifications of her being empress on your own, it is logical that she "as the victor" would rewrite the history books, however with the fact that the slaughter of her people was the start of the entire story, it doesn't make sense the that story itself is so quick to completely forget about it, or at least for the traumatic events to seem to stop affecting the MC in any way so quickly.

I have read all the available chapters, and my main point still stands, she doesn't seem to really care about anything. Aside from protecting her immediate family, she displays little to no emotion, no drive, no desires, even the fact that the history books have mistakes about her past life don't seem to bother her either. Even in her act of "protecting" she's still machine-like, acting like going to murder an honored noble is something on par with a convenience store snack run. Someone commented that she wouldn't have bothered to become empress and all that if she didn't care, but I see it the opposite really, considering the amount of slaughter of the nobility she was directly responsible for, it was likely either become empress or be oppressed/executed by whatever other ruler would have taken the old kings place.

What I mean by not caring isn't the lack of action, I mean she lacks any human elements after becoming empress. A robot can follow routines and instructions, but we aren't here to watch a script unfold, it's to watch an extra-ordinary human experience. Again, this could all be easily explained if we'd gotten ANY insight into her as a person after she become empress, but without that it feels like the before/after characters are two completely different people and we have no idea who the current MC is, and for a story that supposed to be about interpersonal relations, that's kind of a big deal for me.

Double-page supporter
@frungy im sorry to insert myself into the conversation here, but gypsy literally is a slur for the romani people and its unfortunate that its become commonplace vocabulary here in the states. you can google it to see the history and nature of the word quite easily.

also unrelated to the above but thank you to this tl group for such a massive drop!

Omg thank you soooooo much for the wonderful updates, i really appreciate all the hard work that went into this

The author who made this work is very racist and sus, because the black people of this story was very much villanized and whitewash just read ch 1.

Fed-Kun's army
@calledout Thanks for that tidbit, I actually wasn't aware of the Romani specific association of the word.

I agree that if you are referring to a Romani person as a Gypsy then, yes, it could become a racial slur, however in almost any other use case, it's definitely not. For example, if you use any dictionary definition of the word, it will show the Romani related definition as well as the common use definition, which is the one I was familiar with, which is that of a wanderer (with no reference to people group or origin).

While the origin of the word Gypsy certainly came from the Romani people, it's also important to remember that this term originated in the mid 16th century or earlier and has since been adapted and used in many other ways that have nothing to do with the Romani people, particularly so in fiction and fantasy.

Context is also important, just because one people group doesn't want to be referred to with a particular descriptor, doesn't mean we should banish that word from the language entirely, just don't use it for that people. In my case for example, when I hear the word "Gypsy" nothing related to the Romani people comes to mind at all, for me those two words have no relation for me, so to say that the word should be taboo seems completely silly. Words and definitions change over time, and with 500+ years of age on "Gypsy", I certainly feel it's commonplace definition is more widespread than it's usage in a negative racial way.

Just my 2cents.

Users who are viewing this thread