The Last Human

Ok so the people badmouthing the Tl F OFF, learn to appreciate what he's doing it aint easy to translate sh*t

well, I made r/MoshiFanren if you all are interested in joining and developing the sub. If the TL is here, he can ping me on Reddit for mod role.

Contributor
Glad this finally got the updates. I'm unfortunately sadden that the translation looks it was tossed into a machine translator versus the solid text we got months ago from another uploader. The typesetting could definitely use some work; the usage of italics overall detracts from the quality if it's overused, and it does away with some fine use for italics, like emphasis or irony. Some word bubbles are much larger than the words they encase, so there's a good white space all around. Those large bubbles are especially used for short expressive scenes, but the current typesetting completely misses the chance for some real expressive font.

While it might be an unpopular opinion, and I do enjoy this manhua, I find myself at odds with the story when the vehicle for getting into the story is pretty wonky. I suspect some key details, metaphorical language, and other stylistic expressions have become lost in this translation, and the wording is clearly distracting if you have to reread the sentence not because you had to make sure you read it right, it's because you had to make sure it is right.

Dex-chan lover
Ominous "Hey guys, look how awesome I am as I nitpick minute details about a free translation because even though it's perfectly legible and conveys what the story is saying, It's not perfect in my opinion and thus bad."

You're a bit of a dick eh bud?

Supporter
I can't help but compare this to Highschool of the Dead mixed in with Isekai elements - it's trying to do both without necessarily being good at either one. Beyond the art or the narrative the pacing is just off.

If Highschool of the Dead is comparable to a Bad Boys 2 fun nonsense Michael Bay film or Fast and the Furious movie it's acceptable to suspend our disbelief and remove our brains for a while and enjoy the sensory ballet that's happening in front of us.

This isn't that - and I'm more than happy to debate over where my shallow analysis is faulty or weak.

Contributor
@sedition Yes and no. I appreciate new releases, though I don't think it's quite just to praise the work done and dismiss glaring flaws over because it's a "free translation" done by someone else. I apologize if you thought it rude of me, perhaps I could've worded my thoughts better; it's not my intention to criticize for some self-serving and/or malicious purpose. Personally, I wish you didn't take my points and make a straw man out of it. My opinion doesn't just conclude it as "thus bad," because there is no way that would be a decent response. Sometimes I crack a joke mainly because I like putting something I can enjoy reading, hence the sarcasm tossed, but if I'm to criticize, then it's best if I give at least some thought to how I do it. I think that's the respectful, decent thing to do right there. And at the very least, I would ask the same of anyone else.

Group Leader
Give me a perfect Fonts that will fit the series like....
trembling expression, Zombie font, Shouting font and other must-have font.
Thank You

Specialy @ominous THX

Contributor
@Kalies

Whenever I need to experiment with different font types for short stories, and/or just art projects that require speech bubbles, I usually refer to guides this one for pretty much all the needs. For an even more detailed listing from other scanlation groups, there's this I found. Preferably, from that list, Redhawk Scans has an in-depth guide on fonts and typesetting, plus I've been pretty familiar with their work since back when I first started reading scanlation work. And no, I wouldn't say I have much typesetting experience when it comes to scanlation work, but creative font and placement is something I'm only familiar with thanks to some neat creative writing and commercial photography. The following below are based on my personal preferences and past usage, so yeah, I would implore you to look into the guides for other suitable fonts, especially since you're the one more familiar with the comic. Hope this helps.

Normal font: Anime Ace, Wild Words (It's usually key to just pick one and stick with it.)

Zombie Font: Death Rattle, Mouth Breather (for more subtle zombie noises)

Shouting Font: BADABOOM (mainly for loud noises), Damn Noisy Kids (For every shout ever)

Others: PP Handwriting (For handwriting fonts)

> Ok so the people badmouthing the Tl F OFF, learn to appreciate what he's doing it aint easy to translate sh*t

It is easy to proof read stuff if you're a native speaker or have access to native speakers. It's just a step he's chosen not to do.

"With me now I should be able to sense them" clearly doesn't parse as well as "With my current abilities, I should be able to sense them". It took me around 2 seconds to do this one. Each chapter has like five sentences in it, so it's like asking people to spare about 3 or 4 minutes of their time to help out? Even internet people are willing to be that generous.

We're not trying to be mean, we're all huge nerds and weebs here. Don't be afraid to ask for help TL guy, and don't feel defensive that your English isn't at a native level yet.

When you make a release, it might be the only version that *ever* gets released for a series, so you could try to make it the best that you can.

Users who are viewing this thread