The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady - Vol. 1 Ch. 4

Fed-Kun's army
it's less scientific and more scientifesque. no work was done (or at least shown) to falsify the current theories, nor were alternative theories presented or tested. little explanation was given for why anne-sophia came up with the explanations she did.

There's a reason why Lister is the father of modern surgery, and not Semmelweis.

Dex-chan lover
@Solipsist
I wouldn't say nothing. We learned that the origins of magic are spirits that are attracted to a person's soul. it explains why the MC can't use magic since her soul is from other world.

Dex-chan lover
@Azero25
Which rounds up to nothing relevant, because it's just random guessing. It doesn't actually explain anything about Magic-technology.

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@Kanami-chan It is also the magic which turns princesses into castle wall decorations <3

@DustyOldCrow In my defense. I said "most boring part of the volume". As in, significantly less entertaining than the rest of it.

@Solipsist The real funny thing is that it answered everything except "What is magic" (From a world building point of view, it has answered religion, history and diplomacy)

Also included in the LN is "current state of research"
Excess magic power is likely to give people mental illness. A research on this is currently being carried out by a Magic Research department that the princess really REALLY hates because they dissed her efforts

@Podi125 Hypothesis - a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.

That "limited evidence" being historical records and religious records.

Fed-Kun's army
Ultimately, she's making "theories" without an actual basis. As in there is no testing of her hypothesis. They SOUND quite reasonable, but there really is no evidence supporting it. She legit just came up these ideas on her own without any hard evidence. I think the one regarding souls made some sense, as in it explained why she can't use magic, but it's still a case study. But the crystallization of spirits doesn't have much of a basis to it, she just pulled that out of her ass. It's probably correct, but she doesn't present sufficient evidence to actually back it up.

Dex-chan lover
Why oh why must those crappy web novels always resort to this sort of boring info dumping ...

One of the basic rules of storytelling.
Don't info dump, like idiot.
Half of Japan products
"I'm gonna do what is so called, noob move"
This manga
"AMATEURS, AMATEURS!"

[ * ] for translator

It's sometimes amazing for me how they can be very good at parts of story telling while totally ignore rest of basic things

Fed-Kun's army
@Nep Yeah the whole problem with her limited evidence is that it is non existent for the spirit stones. There was literally 0 evidence that she provided to support her theory in that regard. Limited evidence doesn't mean no evidence at all. Plus, she's been testing this for like 10 fucking years. If she doesn't have sufficient evidence to support her hypothesis at this point, you can't really call it much of a theory. Even the Big Bang Theory has more reasoning to it than her corpse spirit stone theory. She never referenced any historical/religious records in this chapter at least. Maybe she did in the source material, but clearly not here. I think her theory regarding her complete lack of affinity with spirits being because she is from another world had some basis, as in she was a case study for it. That would qualify as limited and relatively valid evidence. The spirit stones shit didn't even have that much evidence, so calling it a theory is a joke.

Fed-Kun's army
😑 Was this chapter really necessary? I mean, it's not even good science, all her "theories" are just guesses at best.

Aggregator gang
Guys, this is a manga adaptation. Things are being streamlined. She's put a fair amount of testing behind her theories, but the manga doesn't expound on that because it would make an already exposition-heavy chapter even exposition-heavier.

Also, really, when trying to explain the basics to someone you don't go into "here are the details of the ten-thousand independent tests I ran to try to verify this hypothesis." No. You tell them, "here's my current hypothesis which fits the facts." If they want to know more details, THEN you give them the details.

Dex-chan lover
@Podi125
I think it can be considered a theory dince there is a link to spirits and their stones in that they both are limited to a specific typing. Ex: fire spirit and fire magic stone both can only produce fire magic. She did point to the religious ideology about how they are formed, and built upon that too. Also, she has her own experiences to compair to literally anyone elses. She can't feel spirits, but can use their "materialized corpses" which would make sense since she has proven that she does have magic power. Her body just can't sense the spirits in their "living form". That is the limited evidence.

Also, her whole lesson is explaining her theory. It isn't just small individual pieces, it is all connected. She is testing an alternative hypothesis where the rest of the world believes in the null hypothesis. The world believes that spirits are not necessarily unrelated to the stones, but has yet to prove any concrete form of relationship between them. She believes that there is a direct relationship, where that the stones ARE spirits, who just have died. And she has some plausible evidence to support it based upon her not being the same as everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread