The Monstrous Duke's Adopted Daughter - Ch. 56

Will we be able to see the past of the duchess when she fought during the war or met her husband in the following chapters or in the novel ?

There is a limit to how stupid you should make your protagonist to move the plot forward. Leslie ignored multiple red flags, and even when others brought it up trying to help her she flat out denied it. Shouldn't she know from seeing abused servants most of her life the consequences of not being able to fulfill their job? She's been very selfish, willful, naive and stupid for the past few chapters... Do I blame it on the author or because she has Speardo blood flowing through her? 🧐

And the mom-- yes desperation is a thing but she's personally seen how they operate! Why the hell would she trust those scummy bastards!? If anything, she should've taken a lesson from Leslie. Leslie was also desperate and was able to change her position by pleading the Salvatore's. It proves anything can be done if they want it bad enough! Not only that, she knows-- SHE KNOWS Leslie clearly favors her and would at least speak to the Salvatore's about her situation so long as she asked. Instead of manipulating this poor, naive child in a way that positively benefits everyone except for those effing Speardos, she chooses to stay on the bandwagon of the abusive scum who are quickly losing their place and power in society.

This plot just makes me facepalm, dear god.

I'm also low-key bitter about the Salvatore and the knights. If momma Salvatore was suspicious then shouldn't they have had a backup plan just in case everything goes to hell like what's happened? And at least sat down with Leslie and explained to her to let the people around her do their job?? Though I understand from a guardian's standpoint that maybe she wanted to let Leslie retain some innocence but still, as a child of the Salvatore family now she needs to learn to be suspicious of everything and to take things with a grain of salt. There will be people trying to gain her favor (which has already happened), people who want to eliminate her (again, already happened), and those who want to manipulate her (happening).

...author just did a really bad move forcing this whole plot. Shoulda just yeeted the Speardos out when they had the chance.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE DUCHESS TO RIP OF THE SPERADOS HEAD WITH HER BEAR HANDS

Lmao did everyone suddenly go full retard in this chapter??? No background check on the maid, everybody just leaving Leslie alone, and Leslie, after shitting on the knights her MOTHER assigned to her for doing their jobs, walked into the trap with her last 2 brain cells. The story really took a huge nosedive in the last chapters

Dex-chan lover
@Raygunsama They actually did do a Background Check but in the Short Timeframe it was limited (a few chapters back) but noted that it felt "too" safe. As for Leslie I blame it on her being one of the few People who showed her kindness and she is quick to attach herself to them and trust them. Let's see if she takes this lesson to heart.

Fed-Kun's army
I feel like y'all forget that Leslie's like 12 or something. Yes she's smart but she's still a kid. She's not going to make smart decisions all the time

Bruh leslie is just a kid so it she won't really understand or like there's nothing wrong her being naive or something she's just a 12 year old kid bruh and I understand how the mother feels but if I was her I would literally just go to leslie she has more power and authority rn

...Folks. Come on now.

She is twelve.

I dunno what you were like at 12, but "consistently smart and responsible" is not really a trait associated with that age. And even the kids that get the second and third bits down rarely manage the first bit: consistency.

She's an abused kid - a smart and plucky one yes, but still and abused kid - who was faced with the one person who had shown her kindness for her entire life up until... what, a couple months ago? And the only person who did so unprompted, I might add; yes the Salvatore's have taken her in and treated her well, but that's after she went to them. We've already been shown that she still internally believes they will cut ties with her when she turns 18.

I honestly have been consistently (ha) surprised at the quality of the storytelling here - not only is it refreshingly void of a lot of terrible tropes often seen in these kind of manwha (especially the more sexist "find yourself a man if you want to be happy, and if he's an asshole that's okay as long as he's hot. P.S. controlling you is sexy!" stuff), but very few of the characters feel like caricatures. The former maid, who I was worried would be made some stereotypically weak Judas figure, is actually shown as a far sadder, more tragic one. Possibly the only exception to this are the Sperados, and even with them, well...

We like to think of nobles as shining gallant knights. Heck, this story is an example. But if you look at a lot of European history, you had a lot of absolutely monstrous people in positions of aristocracy. The Sperados fit right in.

tl;dr This manwha has actually been really good at avoiding all the stereotypes people are accusing it of. People aren't perfect, and they don't look at real life with tv-tropes in mind - especially in a medieval world where tv-tropes doesn't exist. 😅
Also to the translators, great job. Keep doing what you're doing.

@Meridian_Prime I'm with you, Leslie is book-smart, not street-smart, the ones to blame are the duchess for not warning her that there could be a trap and second the knights/maid - what does not letting her alone mean to you? let Amroa get a knight and THEN walk out or at least shout from the open door #
and the most stupid is truly Amroa - the plot would be more believable if they actually had the baby as a hostage
but humans making mistakes is what makes them human, isn't it?
only that in this arc too many people make too idiotic ones

Fed-Kun's army
someone really just said Leslie is stupid, and another one said she is retarded. i have to laugh. did everyone forget she was abused for 12 years and that's basically her whole life???? i can't believe you people

basically i agree with everything @Meridian_Prime said!

i love how retarded this forced drama is. Amroa can just ask to leslie instead being dumb. i guess they tryna convey that commoner never learn the hardship of life. but im down seeing my little princess turning cold and not believing anybody

Honestly the Salvatores are more powerful couldn't she have just asked them instead of siding with her old "family"? The maid I mean

Double-page supporter
I cant stay mad at Amroa, she was blackmailed and she obviously chose her kid. I just hope the true masterminds behind this suffer

Users who are viewing this thread