The Mute Girl and Her New Friend (Webcomic) - Ch. 4 - Break Time

Dex-chan lover
b52.png

Fed-Kun's army
Why yet? Didn't she go straight through "friend" part right into "romantic interest"?

Group Leader
@Keledor
It's worth noting that not a single use of "love" or "like" in the chapters thus far has had any romantic connotation 😅

As the MC of a oneshot I translated put it:
eb76bc138a.png

MangaDex Link for said oneshot: https://mangadex.org/title/42769/the-story-of-a-girl-who-likes-girls-and-a-girl-who-used-to-be-a-guy

Group Leader
These two have a really good harmony though. It's like they own what each other lacks.

Dex-chan lover
@TheElusiveTaco I'm under the impression that Japanese has more than a few words for love with different meanings whereas English has love and like used almost exclusively to describe a very broad range of affection. Kinda curious which "love" was used in the raw.

Group Leader
@icarushector
That's correct.
The uses of "like" and "love" in the raw so far have been your standard 好き (suki) and 大好き (daisuki).
83e487de0b.png

What's most important when translating these is context and connotation. Neither Kokosaki nor Mashiro have expressed any romantic feelings towards each other, but girls (in this example, Japanese girls) use 好き and 大好き aaaaaaall the time, even when those feelings aren't present — especially when those feelings aren't present. To use 好き or 大好き in a romantic context is a far bigger thing in Japanese culture (hence the infamous confession scene), so if either of these girls were to express those feelings, you would know!

Random trivia:
To my understanding, the most direct form of "I love you" (with romantic intention) in Japanese is 愛してる (ai shiteru). However, I'm told that this phrase would not be said even between a husband and wife in Japan, unless they were very open about their relationship — it's embarrassing! To that end, I saw a Japanese TV show where they challenged couples to say this to each other (can't find the clip, unfortunately), which goes to show how much power it holds 😅

Dex-chan lover
>Not yet
Aah but you'll soon surrender D: AND GO BEYOOOOOOOOOOOND

Users who are viewing this thread