The One Within the Villainess - Vol. 3 Ch. 9 - A New World

Fed-Kun's army
The original game that Emi got reincarnated in, has such strange gameplay.
It seems to start like a standart Otome game with a VN gameplay, only to change halfway into what seems like a Dragon Quest like RPG
I guess it’s like Harvest moon, you farm and romance.

Dex-chan lover
Oh man.

Remilia is a SOCIOPATH.

And I don't mean this in the loose sense most people use, I mean it in the literal, clinical definition of the word.

Keep in mind, this is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, there are a LOT of perfectly functional sociopaths out there because sociopathy exists on a spectrum much like Autism Spectrum Disorder does - there are various degrees to it, and they tend to make how well a sociopath can function within society's framework.

To give you an idea of how commonplace they actually are... A good example would be those people who are huge risk takers, have a blasé attitude towards rules, and enjoy messing with peoples heads. These are sometimes high-functioning sociopaths. THOUGH I MUST STRESS SOMETIMES. It's important to keep in mind that this is not an absolute.

One of the biggest misconceptions about sociopaths is that some people think that they are not capable of love.

This actually cannot be further from the truth.

Certainly, a favorite pastime of sociopaths is to cultivate a circle of "friends" that they can nudge around here and there - like throwing rocks in a pond to see what the ripples will be like. And sometimes, there are one or two people they would legitimately appreciate, and thus be a true friend for them. But love, on the other hand...

A simple way of thinking about it was the previously mentioned Laser-Focused Yandere. This is exactly what a sociopath in love is like. You are their everything. Their entire world. Everyone else can burn in hell, and it will be of no consequence to them so long as you are safe, sound, and most importantly, happy.

Yes, that is how full-on a sociopath's love is - to the point where your happiness and approval of them is all that matters. They will do anything and, most frightening of all, become anyone to fit your desires. For example, if your ultimate dream waifu is Belldandy, then they will emulate Belldandy as much as possible while still being their own person.

Remilia fits this to a T. She is out for revenge, yes. Because very few people can do revenge like a sociopath can. But somewhere along the way, she learned that the best revenge is to live a life your enemies will be envious of. And she's doing so by creating a world that she knows that Emi will be actually happy living in. And as for those that hurt Emi... those that fell for Pina despite Emi's urgent warnings? And not least of all, Pina herself?

That's where you'll see the sociopath at her best. Carefully and methodically manipulating everything around those people so that they get the justice that they deserve. And all in a way that will be difficult to trace back to her. In the meantime, she will act as the righteous savior for all around her, her outward smile giving off a lovely and charming glow... her inward smile, though, is a wicked little smirk as she sees everyone dancing to her tune without ever realizing it.

And all of this because Remilia loves Emi and will never do anything that would make her unhappy. Certainly, the fates of those who betrayed Emi may upset her a bit... but Remilia will console Emi in that they made the conscious decision to betray her, and such acts require a certain... reckoning. Otherwise, if there were no consequences for their crude acts, then they would simply continue on that path, wouldn't they?

Pity the poor fools that hurt the person the sociopath loves so dearly. They may live long lives yet, but they will be full of regret, remorse, and envy.

Dex-chan lover
Oh man.

Remilia is a SOCIOPATH.

And I don't mean this in the loose sense most people use, I mean it in the literal, clinical definition of the word.

Keep in mind, this is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, there are a LOT of perfectly functional sociopaths out there because sociopathy exists on a spectrum much like Autism Spectrum Disorder does - there are various degrees to it, and they tend to make how well a sociopath can function within society's framework.

To give you an idea of how commonplace they actually are... A good example would be those people who are huge risk takers, have a blasé attitude towards rules, and enjoy messing with peoples heads. These are sometimes high-functioning sociopaths. THOUGH I MUST STRESS SOMETIMES. It's important to keep in mind that this is not an absolute.

One of the biggest misconceptions about sociopaths is that some people think that they are not capable of love.

Certainly, a favorite pastime of sociopaths is to cultivate a circle of "friends" that they can nudge around here and there - like throwing rocks in a pond to see what the ripples will be like. And sometimes, there are one or two people they would legitimately appreciate, and thus be a true friend for them. But love, on the other hand...

A simple way of thinking about it was the previously mentioned Laser-Focused Yandere. This is exactly what a sociopath in love is like. You are their everything. Their entire world. Everyone else can burn in hell, and it will be of no consequence to them so long as you are safe, sound, and most importantly, happy.

Yes, that is how full-on a sociopath's love is - to the point where your happiness and approval of them is all that matters. They will do anything and, most frightening of all, become anyone to fit your desires. For example, if your ultimate dream waifu is Belldandy, then they will emulate Belldandy as much as possible while still being their own person.

Remilia fits this to a T. She is out for revenge, yes. Because very few people can do revenge like a sociopath can. But somewhere along the way, she learned that the best revenge is to live a life your enemies will be envious of. And she's doing so by creating a world that she knows that Emi will be actually happy living in. And as for those that hurt Emi... those that fell for Pina despite Emi's urgent warnings? And not least of all, Pina herself?

That's where you'll see the sociopath at her best. Carefully and methodically manipulating everything around those people so that they get the justice that they deserve. And all in a way that will be difficult to trace back to her. In the meantime, she will act as the righteous savior for all around her, her outward smile giving off a lovely and charming glow... her inward smile, though, is a wicked little smirk as she sees everyone dancing to her tune without ever realizing it.

And all of this because Remilia loves Emi and will never do anything that would make her unhappy. Certainly, the fates of those who betrayed Emi may upset her a bit... but Remilia will console Emi in that they made the conscious decision to betray her, and such acts require a certain... reckoning. Otherwise, if there were no consequences for their crude acts, then they would simply continue on that path, wouldn't they?

Pity the poor fools that hurt the person the sociopath loves so dearly. They may live long lives yet, but they will be full of regret, remorse, and envy.

This is wonderful as a perspective and I am wholeheartedly here for it. The way Remilia goes out of her way for Emi and revenge is one of the hooks that this series has sunk into my skin the way that her sociopathic love for Emi makes everything so...twisted in such a subtle way gives this series the atmosphere that sets it apart from other villainess stories.

Group Leader
“I shall side-step the issue of the Demon Lord recognising lies by… being completely honest and up-front with him!” maniacal cackle
10/10 villainy there, keep it up girl!

Seriously though, let me address some of the wonderful comments here:

The one thing I absolutely adore about this is that the base of Remilia's personality didn't change. She is still obsessive, and laser focused on one person being the base of her love. It simply switched targets from William to Emi. She simply used her prowess to to act within Emi's desires for her. Because she is a woman who can do anything for the one she loves. Certainly she has her points where she does feel genuine friendship and care for people, but it still completely pales in comparison to her love for Emi. Be it romantic or sisterly.

I just... really hope that the Demon King isn't changed from the Novel and they don't twist how things go. It doesn't look like it so far, but now we're entering the final stretch!
That's the one crucial difference; the other is that she now knows what it's like to be loved. She explicitly describes this as a weakness she no longer has.

This series is the best villainess manga to date, change my mind.
Do you have any idea how stiff the competition is? Even if you consider just masterpieces amongst masterpieces, there are also TsunLise and Eris to consider, so you'd need to go to personal preference for the tie-breaker. (For me, for instance, the tie breaks in favour of TsunLise.)

Oh man.

Remilia is a SOCIOPATH.

Fantastic overview, thank you. And, it's absolutely fascinating to narratively explore, because it's the exact same qualities that made Remilia into a villainess that have now made her into a heroine.

Plus, it's hilarious to see a wretched villainess willing to sow any amount of good in the world, to go to any length of benevolence and heroism, to grant any amount of happiness to the populace, as it takes to fulfill her revenge.

SGR

Double-page supporter
Do you have any idea how stiff the competition is? Even if you consider just masterpieces amongst masterpieces, there are also TsunLise and Eris to consider, so you'd need to go to personal preference for the tie-breaker. (For me, for instance, the tie breaks in favour of TsunLise.)

Bah. TsunLise seems to have an extremely obnoxious premise.
And I see I've dropped Eris for some reason at chapter 7 a few years back... Ah I remember now - she's not a villainess. She's just a rando goody-two-shoes just like Emi was. I'm reading this cause Emi's whole story start-to-finish was done in one chapter and we were done with her affectations in favor of the current MC - a far better and more nuanced character than the Eris MC will ever be.

“No matter what god decrees, no matter what terrible fate may await me.
It’s nothing compared to my belief in (Emi)...” GRAAAAAAAAH 🦅

Pages 26-28 with the intertwined dialogue of both Remis is also that good shit.

Dex-chan lover
Glad to see the comments are finally back after so long
Though I wish it was easier to access them

I'm legit surprised why developers haven't made any otomie games in this variant
(protag gains hearts while having to face down the villainess + unlock the secret route to play as the villainess herself)

That has been a premise that has exploded in so many variations over the last few years.
I don't know why there hasn't been any games that have capitalized on these trends

Also, I absolutely love this manga it is so nice to see a fresh take on the villainess genre and I especially adore the fact that they answered the eternal question of what the villainess's soul was doing when the protag reincarnated into her.

Aggregator gang
Everytime I read this comic, I cry for two reasons: Remilia loves Emi so much- she would've ended the world for her if Emi didn't love it too.
And two!! I always get caught on a cliffhanger T~T

Dex-chan lover
Oh man.

Remilia is a SOCIOPATH.

Well said.
It basically boils down to once a sociopath has declared you "their's", they will give you the world itself if you ask for it. Just don't ever betray them.
And I see I've dropped Eris for some reason at chapter 7 a few years back... Ah I remember now - she's not a villainess. She's just a rando goody-two-shoes just like Emi was. I'm reading this cause Emi's whole story start-to-finish was done in one chapter and we were done with her affectations in favor of the current MC - a far better and more nuanced character than the Eris MC will ever be.
I personally find it's better to treat Eris as a mystery/intrigue story rather than an out and out villainess story. Constance is only a villainess when she's being directly possessed by Scarlet otherwise she's just a hardy girl in Waaaay over her head.

Why the fuck did it double post?

Dex-chan lover
Well said.
It basically boils down to once a sociopath has declared you "their's", they will give you the world itself if you ask for it. Just don't ever betray them.

I personally find it's better to treat Eris as a mystery/intrigue story rather than an out and out villainess story. Constance is only a villainess when she's being directly possessed by Scarlet otherwise she's just a hardy girl in Waaaay over her head.

Why the fuck did it double post?
I reported it, hope the admins can delete it.

Yeah Eris is still technically a Villainous story cause it all centers around Scarlet who did act like a villainess.

Dex-chan lover
TsunLise is special because of how it defies the expectations of the premise. I originally thought it was just gonna be a couple of people MST3King the hell out of an otome game's story as it unfolds.

What no one told me, though, was that they were able to interact with the Prince, and that there was an entire full-fledged B-Plot about the romance between the two commentators. Additionally, they had their worries about how they're able to mess around with this world.

With that, there's plenty of reasons to enjoy that story, even if at this point the "villainess" isn't a villainess at all, just someone who is misunderstood because she's tsun-tsun as all hell.

But that's just my take. Your mileage may vary, even once you get your head around the idea that the whole "villainess" thing is just a genre trope.

Dex-chan lover
This is so good, i love the worldbuilding and speedrunning through the story goddamn

Users who are viewing this thread