The Politics Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
@Ceildric The group was banned because some of them were threatening violence against election workers.

edit: at least the big group I know of.

Dex-chan lover
@bigtiddyoneesan @BestBoy My hottake is that Zeph isn't as authoritarian/ban-happy as everyone says. Like sure he's locked more than one thread I wish had kept going, and he's definitely more willing to exercise his power than other mods, but I think that he's open to pretty much any chat/conversation as long as it remains civil or respectful, playful banter aside. He's better than some moderators I know from different websites...

Though, I may be biased a bit because I'm also on the left, at least socially.
@Ceildric
There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight
I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Fault of human psychology because trends don't apply to everyone, as much as we like to lump demographics together. It's also kinda a limitation that young people tend to want to change things or make alterations, and older people want things to tend to change less, considering how its the older people that made changes in their youth and want those changes not to be undone.

Ironically, the fact I want to breakup big trusts in the tech industry that have proven themselves to be bad actors, want protections of freedom of speech and expression to apply to businesses once they reach a certain size, and that I want universal laws that are more concerned with meritocracy instead of race, gender, etc. gets me painted often as someone on the right. Despite all of these being liberal position as early as ten-to-twenty years ago.

How some people haven't seen the sheer grift of the Lincoln project is beyond me, shit blows

Fed-Kun's army
finding a few dead people who voted by mailin ballot isnt surprising. ITS A GOD DAMN PANDEMIC! As long as they werent postmarked 2 weeks after their death (Well it could be thats when they found the corpses cause nobody went into the nursing home

Dex-chan lover
@Tamerlane I honestly wish there were more mods like Zeph.

As for the human psychology, the conservatives I know have been conservatives their entire lives. They've never wanted things to change. "Traditional American Values" and all that jazz. I grew up as one, and grew out of it the year I graduated college. Maybe even the year after.

Fed-Kun's army
"traditional american values" people are worse then the Amish. Because while the Amish might be crazy for thinking that the 1870s were the greatest, they dont try to force their way on other people, they just sell them butter and build a barn in a single day that lasts for a hundred years.

Where as TAV people use violence and threats and lawsuits to force things the way they want.

The difference is that leftists control almost all media both "journalism" and entertainment.
@Ceildric then why not watch other countries’ media…? Even non English countries have often English news channels these days… (see lists on wikipedia: one and two).

Nowadays, not only is moral degeneracy not condemned, it's encouraged.
@bigtiddyoneesan didn’t know you are a fan of Socrates:

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.” (Socrates, circa 470BC)

Funnily, even 2000+ years after his complaint about youth, civilization didn't vanish. Looks like humankind can handle moral degeneracy lol.

Dex-chan lover
@blackyawgdom Preaching to the choir. 90% of my extended family is like this too. If they had their way, abortion would be illegal, anyone that isn't straight would have reduced rights (no marriage), and public schools would teach creationism instead of evolution. Makes me glad my brother isn't like that.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@BestBoy
You've made me realize that I don't know the politcal views of my family, most of it is catholic (although, I think my cousins are atheist, but I've never directly asked them, so it is an assumption), I can safely assume that my cousins are on the left side of the spectrum, since I share some views with them, but I discovered recently (literally last week) that my parents have been voting for a party that is considered right-wing for years, but they don't have the same views as your family. When the elections come and I have to decide who to vote for, it will be an interesting experience to check the proposals of each party because i'm sure it ain't going to be easy.

Dex-chan lover
Democrats never win Arizona, right? Surprise! Anti-immigrant cruelty cause the Republicans to reap what they sow. 🙃https://www.democracynow.org/2020/11/5/arizona_marisa_franco_mijente Too bad some people aren't mature enough to accept the truth.😵 https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/fox-...-043222929.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_04 Well, they are entertaining at least.🤓 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBpYG7qBBqs Poor Vladimir Putin; first he fails to murder Alexei Navalny, now he's losing his control of the US.👿
republican-party-chain-of-command-vladimir-moscow-language-center-putin-35456821.png

Dex-chan lover
Are they still denying access to poll watchers as the poll counting is taking place?

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
My authoritarian senses were tingling. Hope we're all having a civil discussion in here.

Dex-chan lover
Just wait until the final results are announced (and subsequently challenged). Then we'll see some real fireworks in here.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
I expect the memes will be spicy and completely within the rules. :v

Dex-chan lover
don't worry sir, uncivil discussion is the business of past. we are now doing meme and shit discussion here.
not that i understand any of that. america is weird stuff for me

Dex-chan lover
@TamaSaga All ballots are counted by bipartisan members. The only people being kept out were unrelated people who were breaking building code and putting personal voter information at risk by taking video and pictures. Every instance of Trump's court cases asserting that they haven't been given access have been rejected by the judges. In one case, trump's lawyer even admitted that they'd been given access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread