The Politics Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
I believe I distinctly saw @EOTFOFYL trying to solicit a hit on Timur! 😳
What do you think @mr_detective? 😏

Also I believe @halo's contributions to this thread are most likely the type of screw politics let's bury it in memes, satire, and parody type posts Zeph originally expected to get here. Not hardcore political debate. Things are too screwed up to just immerse ourselves in such heavy topics here, particularly since we came to this site to escape from them irl!

But I can understand the tendency to make a stand when it seems so likely real life events are following a dark trend seen many times before during Tyrannical Government Ascensions to power.

Seems a bit corny using a clip from the Avengers to illustrate a point like this, but it's very appropriate.

giphy.gif

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
I suggest Timur and User #6 have a battle of shitposting, may the best shitpost win.

Dex-chan lover
Scientists Attempt To Convince Public To Take Covid More Seriously By Explaining Concept Of Death
https://www.theonion.com/scientists-attempt-to-convince-public-to-take-covid-mor-1845989249

@Ivegotnolife
Officer I object, the victim in question committed suicide via a bullet to the back of the head while falling out of his apartment window.

Staff
Super Moderator
@EOTFOFYL
Wow, it's very impressive that he managed to do all that with his hands tied and blindfolded, humans are really fascinating.

@hazzack
goodness, do you even know why they mutate at all? because it's easy to spread, new prey new possible change. why do you think SARS don't NEED a vaccine?
Literally because it killed you so fast you didn't have enough time to get a good spread going. Unlike Coronvirus, which has a far higher transmission rate, but a far lower lethality rate. You didn't need rapid testing stations for SARS because if you got it you were already at death's door in two days time. Same reason Ebola virus wasn't really a concern, too deadly, wasn't good for spreading.

@Richman
Making a vaccine would help reach herd inmunity way faster than if you didn't, if it really was faster to just let people get infected and become inmune on their own, vaccines wouldn't exist because there wouldn't be a need for them in the first place.
Vaccines exist because people don't want to die in the process of getting immune, not because it's faster to create a vaccine. I don't know where you're getting this idea.

@blackyawgdom
Ah see, first real argument against the idea, long term side effects.
This shit should've been over in June if it wasnt for retards.
To be fair, this would have been done in March if the world wasn't a globalized mess of virus vectors. If the moment China showed signs of a new disease we just stopped all interactions with all other nations, we wouldn't have this problem, but alas, America is deeply entrenched in other countries economies, and it wasn't an option. Looks like globalization has horrible downsides.

Staff
Super Moderator
Vaccines exist because people don't want to die in the process of getting immune, not because it's faster to create a vaccine. I don't know where you're getting this idea.
So you agree with me on the idea of vaccines being a safer option than developing inmunity without assistance? Great.

@Richman
Always have, assuming you want death tolls low. If you didn't understand I had that position, than it was a problem on your end, as I repeated multiple times that the optimal strategy only makes sense as long as you don't care how many people die before moving on. It's a matter of speed vs death toll.

Dex-chan lover
Coronavirus Optimistic New Mutation Will Be Widely Available To Public By Early Spring
Normally the development and distribution of something like this would take years, but thanks to a concerted national effort, we’ve been able to work at a breakneck speed. Naturally, numbers will be limited at first, but by April, we’re hoping this new mutation will be easily contractible across the entire country. And on top of that, we’re absolutely certain it will be available worldwide by the end of 2021
https://www.theonion.com/coronavirus-optimistic-new-mutation-will-be-widely-avai-1845725749

Staff
Super Moderator
@BrapEbony
But the point of all of these preventive measures and lockdowns is to reduce as much as possible the infection rate, and by proxy the death rate, so that we can work on developing a cure and not let this virus kill more people. Infecting a great portion of the population and hoping that part of it develops inmunity is not the optimal strategy. We have techonology, this isn't like the middle ages where getting tuberculosis would end your life, we have the ability to go beyond our biological capability and find a way to counter diseases without sacrificing our own. Each time we get faster.

Dex-chan lover
@BrapEbony then you get the point where even with only quarter of flu's mutation rate the virus still manage to get that much of mutation, with your optimal solution of feeding the mass to the virus will only unnecessarily prolong the disease.

Dex-chan lover
There have been reports of people getting COVID twice though, so apparently it's unclear how 'immune' someone actually is after recovering from it. Such cases may have been from multiple strains though, idk. I do know someone personally who got it twice, though.

@Ivegotnolife
most likely the type of screw politics let's bury it in memes, satire, and parody type posts
This is giving the benefit of the doubt. They're more like distinct opinions coated in sarcasm and smugness, possibly on behalf of an inability or unwillingness to communicate in any other fashion.

Fed-Kun's army
@hazzack
then you get the point where even with only quarter of flu's mutation rate the virus still manage to get that much of mutation, with your optimal solution of feeding the mass to the virus will only unnecessarily prolong the disease.
I don't see the connection between these two points. Is your concern that it will wildly mutate into an incredibly deadly and incredibly spreadable disease? It's already hitting that sweet spot. If it gets any better at killing people it will probably be more easier to contain than right now, because those cases will be far easier to track.

@bigtiddyoneesan
There have been reports of people getting COVID twice though, so apparently it's unclear how 'immune' someone actually is after recovering from it. Such cases may have been from multiple strains though, idk. I do know someone personally who got it twice, though.
In that case vaccines super don't help.

@hazzack
I don't see the connection between the points you're making.

@Richman
Infecting a great portion of the population and hoping that part of it develops inmunity is not the optimal strategy. We have techonology, this isn't like the middle ages where getting tuberculosis would end your life, we have the ability to go beyond our biological capability and find a way to counter diseases without sacrificing our own. Each time we get faster.
See you're debating the point of whether we should care about death toll, which I was never caring to make. My entire premise relies on the assumption you don't care about the death tolls. If you want to debate that high death tolls are bad, sure, be my guest, that's not what I was arguing.

Dex-chan lover
@chrona no, no. the mutation not necessarily make them good at killing people. like the other covid's mutation they make themselves harder to immune. harder to immune means more chance for people to spread them to once immune people.

@brapEbony that^

also im not denying that i'm an idiot and full of shit just so you know.
no i'm not making this point for an argument
i think i shouldn't say this to make this more incomprehensible

Dex-chan lover
Coronavirus Optimistic New Mutation Will Be Widely Available To Public By Early Spring

Where they screwed up was the mandate to lock down and isolate the entire population including the age groups with the best chance of kicking the virus's ass with the least chance of serious, and lasting damage.
They did so according to their own words "To slow the spread of the virus.". They delayed the inevitable, rather then take extraordinary measures to safeguard the most vulnerable, and let the age groups best suited to make major inroads towards beating it by normal, and time proven herd immunity style means like a huge number of Epidemiologists that didn't have a public soapbox on which to stand and refute the "experts" recommended!
While at the same time the "experts" were proclaiming the only way is to destroy your economies and livelihoods, hiding from a virus till we tell you it's safe to venture out to try and pick up the pieces of what may be salvageable the life you once had ** years in the preCOVID past. And even then that day may never come because they are still saying there is no guaranty a vaccine will be able to keep us safe. 👾

(Personally I'm still waiting to find out whether they will force me to get the vaccine even after I caught and beat it naturally while working my essential job. Wasn't too bad compared to some of the crud I've had to fight off.) 👻
4b406hoilmm41.jpg

I'm just waiting for the experts to come to a similar opinion when it comes to the concept of saving the planet from climate change.
(Let's just lock up in a pod and stop living for the good of the planet!> 🤡👻

Biblically speaking the end of this world was set at the time of the fall of Adam, and there is nothing we can do to delay it!
We can only attempt to keep it as well as we can, as the stewards God placed here to keep it till he returns. No more, No less. 😤

@Ivegotnolife
They did so according to their own words "To slow the spread of the virus.". They delayed the inevitable, rather then take extraordinary measures to safeguard the most vulnerable, and let the age groups best suited to make major inroads towards beating it by normal, and time proven herd immunity style means like a huge number of Epidemiologists that didn't have a public soapbox on which to stand and refute the "experts" recommended!
Sweden allegedly tried this approach and it didn't work at all.

Dex-chan lover
@Chrona
In that case vaccines super don't help.
No, they still help, and the covid vaccine has already been proven to help. Contracting the virus and being exposed to it via a vaccination to create antibodies have separate effects on our bodies' ability to ward off the big gae.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread