The Princess of Sylph - Vol. 3 Ch. 12 - Birds'-Eye Primrose

Dex-chan lover
Ayo, is Fire Princess a vilain who wants to overthrown the Wind Lord or is she as aware of the issue as the Snake Princess but will take matters at hand and kill Sara without a question?

The Snake Princess wants to advise Natalia, wants her to take the “wise decision” (killing the nun and retrieving the sword) but won’t dirty her hands. The Fire Princess feels like she rules with a very hands-on approach, even bordering illegal stuff (I mean, wasn’t her partner an Assassin? And she’s supposed to be a thief, if the author goes by the “drafts”), so she’d definitely want to handle what could turn into a mess for ALL the lands (if people find out the Wind Lord is “flawed”, they’ll start questioning their rulers, won’t they?) by killing the thief asap.

Group Leader
Ayo, is Fire Princess a vilain who wants to overthrown the Wind Lord or is she as aware of the issue as the Snake Princess but will take matters at hand and kill Sara without a question?
After thinking on it my guess is she wants to steal Sylpheed to solve a problem in her homeland. It'd make her sympathetic, since I doubt she's a total villain, and eventually give a reason for Sara and Natalia to travel there. But it also serves a good narrative purpose now. Since Sylpheed in this version has barely been used in 300 years, it's a way to naturally explain what it's capable of before all the monsters start spilling in.

Though I still expect her to be more antagonistic than Snake Princess. Snake already has the "greater good" mentality; Fire Princess might be more selfish, caring little about what happens to the wind kingdom. But at the same time she doesn't need to kill Sara to get Sylpheed. If anything it not being rooted in the lord makes it easier to steal. She can offer Sara the freedom she's been dreaming of and (as another child of spirits) has the mana reserves to help Sara use the sword.

So that brings us to her 2nd probable narrative purpose: upping the yuri levels by trying to seduce Sara. What little we've seen of her on Kamejiro's twitter shows she's not shy about sex and seduction, and the latest art of her implies she's flirty with Sara. Probably won't end up fixated on her like snake does, but she's the sort of casual romantic rival that could propel Natalia and Sara to a new stage of their relationship like Kamejiro seems to want to do.

I'll also speculate Fire Princess might contrast Snake Princess culturally: Snake Princess is treated like the avatar of Undine (Luis made reference to how some cultures have started seeing spirits and children of spirits as the same). Fire Princess might be more of a folk hero. In her original bio she was meant to be a commoner who overthrew the local royalty, so her people might not have the same spiritual reverence we see in wind and water.

A little detail that was hard to convey in translation: Fire Princess says 王家の剣とやら, the とやら being very dismissive and a little uncertain. Like, "that royal sword or whatever it is." It implies she doesn't have the same respect the others do, and that she might be working on hearsay.

Dex-chan lover
A little detail that was hard to convey in translation: Fire Princess says 王家の剣とやら, the とやら being very dismissive and a little uncertain. Like, "that royal sword or whatever it is." It implies she doesn't have the same respect the others do, and that she might be working on hearsay.
Out of curiosity, do you use a particular warping for the unevenness in line spacing in dialogue outside of bubbles or is that just a quirk of that font?
image.png

Group Leader
Out of curiosity, do you use a particular warping for the unevenness in line spacing in dialogue outside of bubbles or is that just a quirk of that font?
I break up those lines by word or syllable, fitting them together manually for a more handwritten feel that's formatted to the art. That's the case for most of the SFX or text outside bubbles. It’s a lot of effort for debatable return but I can’t see it any other way. Though for contrast in that panel the fwooshing is a simple, smoother text warping.

The normal font is Arenzi.

Dex-chan lover
Wow that's a lot of extra work, but it does look quite nice. I thought it was handwritten at first until until i noticed it was a font.

Dex-chan lover
Group Leader
Is there a way to buy off Kobo if you're not in Japan? I'm trying to but it says they're only available on the JP store.
Despite the warning it gives you, you should be able to checkout from the JP store regardless of location. Kobo is pretty open towards doing business with foreigners. Keep in mind it's an ebook though. If you'd rather have it physically there's CDJapan.

Dex-chan lover
Despite the warning it gives you, you should be able to checkout from the JP store regardless of location. Kobo is pretty open towards doing business with foreigners. Keep in mind it's an ebook though. If you'd rather have it physically there's CDJapan.

Just making a JP account and checking out worked, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread